Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Corbon DPX

Default Corbon DPX

Does anyone here Shoot Corbon DPX 115, 9mm and do you have any Complaints about the Ammo.

I was Told this is the Best Ammo to use.

everyone has their own opinions but that DPX round is one awesome round. The all copper barnes bullet willgive you 100% expansion and 100% bullet weight retention to. It is a super round, Corbon doesn't make bad defense rounds IMO..

Not cheap but pricedf about like the rest of the other good defense rounds. The best round is actually the brand/round that works perfect in ur kahr..

I`ve used Corbon DPX in my 9mms and my .380 with no problems at all.I`ve also done some modest water jug testing with the cartridge in both calibers.DPX ammo is awesome indeed. I`d love to see some ballistic gel test results on the 9mm but I haven`t found any yet.With my water jug tests,the 9mm penetrated 4 one gallon jugs in three out of four firings.The other round penetrated only three jugs.Expansion was uniform and consistent in all rounds.In other words,they all looked like small copper boat propellers.I wonder how they do after passing through several layers of clothing?Corbon,in my opinion,has the potential to be a fine self defense round.If I didn`t have so much Gold Dot and Golden Saber I`d invest in a lot of it.
    In the area in which I now reside,when I`m placed in a group of four or five guys,I`m known as "the smart one".God help me.

Gel testing:

9mm Corbon 115 gr +P Barnes XPB JHP;
    ave vel=1229 fps (G19);
    gel cal= 9.5cm@593fps

Bare Gel: pen=14.8", RD=0.54", RL=0.48", RW=115.1gr
    4 Layer Denim: pen=15.1", RD=0.54", RL=0.49", RW=115.4gr

For photos and further info, see following link:
    Corbon DPX 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP duty ammo vs. Fed HST as control - M4Carbine.net Forums

Bottom line: it's like a half inch+ propeller spinning through 15" of bad guy.

Good stuff.

Well LDM,that`s about all I needed to see to make my mind up. I see some DPX in my future.Thanks for sharing the information.
    In the area in which I now reside,when I`m placed in a group of four or five guys,I`m known as "the smart one".God help me.

I've done quite a lot of testing of DPX through various mediums such as Gelatin both covered with cloth and uncovered. On the plus side it virtually never fails to penetrate to 12 " or more nor does it fail to expand well.
    Someone made a remark here about it rotating fast enough to act like a cutting propellor. That is not true. Rotation occurs slowly and without and additional damage to tissue.
    Many very cautious men who depend on their weapons for their lives do use DPX and in the few instances where it has been called upon to stop hostile action it has worked.

There is a theory about tissue damage that includes the existance of a type of temporary stretch cavity caused by pressure. Many scientists believe that this can exist at pistol velocity if they are at high enough velocity . Even the most ardent believers of this type of damage ( and they do include the FBI) would conclude that DPX would not include such heightened pressures within the body cavity because of the widely separated petals following expansion of DPX. If you observe the expanded form of an HST , Gold Dot or any other conventional HP you see a more solid expanded mass which MAY account for an increased stretch cavity.
    While I do belive in such wave I consider it a minimal part of a pistols stopping power. Pistols MUST do the following; it must work reliably, second you must hit CM, beyond that its all incremental if you are using a round of 38 cal hp or up,. Thus while a 45 acp is no death ray it will in an expanding form end most fights in a shot or two if they are well placed hits
    I think 45 160g DPX is a very good choice for PM 45. It is a light recoiling round and will expand to close to 3/4 " in a CM hit. Pressure wave or not that should give you the time to either swing to another BG or fire more times on your primary or hopefully only target
    I personally carry either DPX 160 gr or Golden Sabre 185gr standard pressure in my PM 45. I am confident in both and most importantly they both work 100% in my pistol

jhiller,I can`t tell you how much I enjoy reading well thought out and informative posts such as yours.Thank you.