Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaning your brass

Default cleaning your brass

Hey guys...I just recently started reloading. been thinking about it for the past year, once I bought a cz82 I decided to get everthing I needed and start loading. I can't find 9X18 locally.

I found a nice heavy steel bench on craigs list for $40. It's about 2'X5' and weighs around 250-300 pounds. So far I loaded 25 rounds and shot them today through my EZ9. They shot really good about a 3-4 inch group at 10 yds standing.

Anyway what do you use to clean your brass. I have been just rinsing my brass with water and letting them dry on newspaper. -Rod-

A tumbler of some sort is the ticket for cleaning brass. Theres different types of media, walnut shells or compounds made for that purpose, some use other stuff, lots of choices.
    You can add a little polish to shine things up.

Never have to get the cases wet or wait to dry, just dump em in and let em roll around awhile.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I use the tumbler from Midway (not too pricey) and lizzard bedding from Pets-Mart. Throw in a cap full of Nu-finish car wax and a cut up dryer sheet and you are good to go. Run it for two or three hours and brass looks better than new.

I would think that possibly loading a case that wasn't fully dry would result in a squib load or no fire at all. I have heard of folks washing shotgun hulls in the washing machine. Years back I loaded thousands of rounds of shotgun ammo and never found it necesary.

I believe the tumbler is the best option.

That lizard bedding is crushed walnut shells at the consistency of very course ground coffee and it cleans very well with the Nu-Finish. Here is a pic of mine note how cleaned inside the 45 ACP casings.

•"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

If you are going to wet wash anyway, add some liquid laundry detergent, and rag into a plastic container with a lid and shake it around, soak, rinse.
    I do this before tumbling to remove the grit/sand.
    For me, drying time is not a problem in the high desert.

Tilos

Old Lincoln--Are you one of those guy's that de-prime before cleaning?

About how long does the media last? And can you clean and reuse the media?

If I just keep washing my brass with water to save some money would that be a problem wearing out the dies?

That brass looks real good Old Lincoln.

How long the media will last depends on how much you use it. I've never cleaned any media, just toss it out on the lawn and get some new stuff. The Nu-Finish polish will lube your cases and make loading easier. I don't think washing will wear the cases out any more than tumbling.

94zcar:
    Yes, you can wash walnut shell media, tied in a pillow case, in the washing machine and even dry it that way.
    But remember it has lead in it too, not something I want in my washing machine/dryer.
    Some people actually clean brass, in a mesh laundry bag, in the washing machine.

Now, if OldLincoln would tell us where he found a 25# bag of walnut media for $11.50, we'd all have enough for a lifetime.

just sayin'
    Tilos

Yep!!!! Give me the address.