Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: MK9 & PM9 Which to use when?

Question MK9 & PM9 Which to use when?

Noob here, but a Kahr owner none the less. I have an MK9 and it is very reliable and accurate. I have no problem with the long, but smooth, DAO trigger. But...it is a bit heavy for pocket carry, so I'm on the hunt for a PM9 (night sight) for carry. I hear the PM frames only have a life of a couple thousand rounds where the MK frames can probably go a lifetime. Would it be reasonable to use the MK9 for unholstering drills at the range, running a lot of ammo through it, but reserving the PM9 for carry? I'm thinking that for every time at the range where I run 50-200 rounds of ball ammo through the MK, I finish off with one clip of PD ammo through the PM. Or should I be practicing more than that with the actual carry weapon? Carl

Not sure where you heard that a PM9 was only good for a couple thousand rounds....Jocko has run over 30,0000 rounds through his.....soooooooooooo I'd say when you get your PM9, shoot it as much as you want, especially if that's going to be your actual carry weapon. I don't think you can wear out that little bugger.
    Kahr P380 (part owner)
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr PM45
    Kahr MK9 Elite 03
    Springfield XDs .45 3.3
    Springfield XDm .40 Compact 3.8
    Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    .....Benjamin Franklin

carlcyrus. To date we have never seen ANY kahr shot out, Their polymer frame is every bit as good as a Glock frame, how many of those have been shot out, Who ever toldyou that is jsut so full of crap, I can't see how they can even walk.

Trust me, you won't shoot out a kahr polymer PERIOD. I can attest to that with over 30,000 rounds through my PM9 and it looks totally new. U can search on this forum jocko's custom PM9 and see it and at that time it had over 20K through it.

You will simply love this gun. its internals are exactly the same as your MK9. It is simply the best of the best.
    amazes me when somemakes a statement like that to you though, what a dumb sh-t.

I dont own a PM9 but i did months of research on the PM/MK line just before buying my MK9 a few weeks ago.
    And i never heard of a frame giving out.
    I have seen slides crack, But any company can have a few of those.
    Id like to see how Glocks and other polymers hold up at the 100 year mark, But something tells me they will be fine.
    Id actually be less surprised if my MK frame didn't bust before a PM frame. Polymer is much more resilient than steel with repeated batterings.

I sound polymer biased, But in reality all 3 of my ccw weapons have steel frames.

and there has been a few of the MK frames that had a crack in the grip area by the mag well, Faulty material and kahr replaced any that was cracked to. Kahr doesn't make the steel, they do machine it and heat treat it but sh-t happens as we all know.

Probably polymer will be just like it is today 100 years from now if left untouched even, can't say that for any steel product, be it stainless or what ever. I never look forward a 100 years, at my age, if I get up on the morning I am on a good start to a fine day. I take every day like it could be my last for indeed someday it will be my last..

I love steel framed guns, I just hate to carry them. I just don't think they come much nicer than the K9 but for sure they don't come any nicer for pocket carry than my PM9

Thanks for the replies. Not sure where I read the 2k round bit...but I think it was in one of the CCW forums. I searched a lot of CCW and pistol forums before making my short list. Then I went and handled several on the short list before buying the MK. I'm very happy with the MK, but was worried about the longevity of the PM for heavy practice. Good to hear that there are PMs out there with 30k on them. I won't hesistate to practice with both of them now. Thank you for the assist. BTW, my brother has been a Glock fan for years...when he shot my MK a few weeks back he loved it...and is now on the hunt for one of his own. Carl

carlcyrus. Kahrs are like glocks in many ways to. The upper slide of the kahr is so close to a glock slide it isn't funny. Justin Moon was a big admirier or Gaston Glock.

Nice think about a glock and a kahr and may other guns is that you wn't wear any of them out, but a part here and there might break or overly wear,but that is what a parts manual is for. guns are like cars. you hav eto maintain. them. The more rounds down range, normalty maintenance picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrseye View Post
    Not sure where you heard that a PM9 was only good for a couple thousand rounds....Jocko has run over 30,0000 rounds through his.....soooooooooooo I'd say when you get your PM9, shoot it as much as you want, especially if that's going to be your actual carry weapon. I don't think you can wear out that little bugger.
    Here's the source of the notion that PM9s have such a short life:

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=17561

Look at AzAKGuy's second post on the attached page. The post is the fifth or sixth down. It mentions a correction of a story in a gunrag by Duane Thomas about Kahrs.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtex View Post
    Here's the source of the notion that PM9s have such a short life:

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=17561

Look at AzAKGuy's second post on the attached page. The post is the fifth or sixth down. It mentions a correction of a story in a gunrag by Duane Thomas about Kahrs.
    Here's a link to the original story by Duane Thomas in which he incorrectly stated that Kahr says the life of the polymer frame guns is only 6k rds.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_...07/index2.html

Can someone make this a sticky so we don't have to keep correcting Thomas's screw-up?

anyone, any gun company is more than welcome to throughly examine my PM9 with over 30,000 rounds through it. People can believe what they want about kahrs life expectancy, but show me one SHOT OUT KAHR. Just one...

10,000 rounds is for 99% of all owners/shooters is more than a lifetime of shooting. These gun companies don't build 6000 round guns and if they even did ,,,, that would encompass 95% of all shooters even.

One should not worry about the life of any gun. If it is good and if it is reliable, then just shoot it like u stole it, if somethng breaks in it, buy the replacement part and move on with it. All guns and I mean ALL GUNS can and will break somewhere, that is why there is a parts manual with every gun. We tend to wrroy about something that for 99% of us will never even aproach happening.

If one cannot see the over all top quality of a kahr then he has his eyes closed. Sure there are lemons from kahr, there are lemons from glock, sig,smith, ruger. they are made by man and machine and neitgher is infalliable.

Why is it we never bit-h about replacing recoil springs, or magazine springs. Is that because over the years we have been told time and time again that they wear out. and we accept it as gospel.... are they not part of the guns reliablility???