CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Latin wasn't one of the seven or so languages I've studied, but you see it all the time and can understand a bit of it. For a "dead language" it still gets a lot of use.

Attachment 125Attachment 127

Wynn
    Now there's Latin for the masses. My old dead Latin teachers would be overjoyed.

Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid

I'm not much into catapults, but I love trebuchets -- awesome when properly built and used. Those things are really complicated and there's a lot going on when one is properly functioning. I've seen some good documentaries and "recreations" of trebuchets -- not practical to carry or house, though. I'll have to stick to practical sized "hand-cannons" -- appropriate to the season's clothing for concealability. Somewhere along the way, while I was researching those things, I ran across that "when catapults are outlawed..." expression -- neat. All you have to do these days is Google your expression and you can find what you were looking for.

OH, here's a new abbreviation -- MHC... for Mini-Hand-Cannon... as in a Buffalo Bore stoked P380!
    (I looked up mini-hand-cannon and it's usually used in describing much larger handguns... Micro-Hand-Cannon... as in "µHC", or uHC ??) :59:

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 01-06-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Hello all, I was watching a program on public television this weekend about the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights...It seems there were several different variations of the punctuation and capitalization of some of the amendments... They all say pretty much the same thing but in slightly different ways such as the 2nd amendment passed by congress reads: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. the copies sent to the states to be ratified had this capitalization and punctuation: A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It says the same thing but you have to remember that people then did not talk the same as we do today and how they said things sometimes changed the meaning...I think the reason there is so much confusion with the second amendment and just what the Founding Fathers were trying to say is due to this...It really isn't clear and seems somewhat incomplete but here is a real interesting thing the show brought out....There are hand written documents that have this wording of the second amendment: In Order to establish a well regulated Militia necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to Keep and Bear arms shall not be infringed...Now that verision makes complete sense....Those four words at the first makes things so much more clear....At the time this was written the United States didnt have a conventional standing army as we do today...Citizen soldiers were all we had to fight with and without armed citizens the country had no way to defend its self and that Charlie Brown is the real meaning of our second amendment.....

They didn't want a standing army. Sad thing is the people didn't want to do their militia duty either which resulted in the mess of the War of 1812 and the sacking of Washington and the burning of the White House. Which resulted in the formation of a standing army....

getsome, as for the different wordings of the second amendment I happen to agree with you. IF they had stuck with one of the other of the several different proposed wordings we might have a more clear understanding. But then those who keep pushing the so called common sense gun control laws dont care what the second amendment says or means.

Having spent time in tha'
    US Army
    US Army Reserve
    US Army IRR
    Air National Guard (Az,)
    Calif Army National Guard (Ca.)
    US Army Retired/Reserve
    US Army Retired.
    Total Retired time= 32 years, 8 months and 4 days !!! But, who's counting ??
    AND....
    some US Citizen, status...... I AGREE !!!!

Mac
    "Hooha" (US Army / Retired) www.centexpgr.org
    Kahrtalk.com, www.TexasCHLforum.com, www.txchia.org, VFW, NRA, GWRRA, AMA,
    Kahr CW40, Spg. XD .45, SKS Yugo M59. S&W 22a, Mossberg 500 12 ga. Canon 40D.