Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ported Barrel for CW9 & P9

I am curious as to the upward blast when the weapon is held in the "Close Combat Position". Meaning my elbow is locked into my hip and the weapon is basically belt level 2"-3" in front of my belt buckle.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Default personally

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    I am curious as to the upward blast when the weapon is held in the "Close Combat Position". Meaning my elbow is locked into my hip and the weapon is basically belt level 2"-3" in front of my belt buckle.
    I have not done alot of that type of shooting but with my K9, G19 andPM9 all ported, I can't call it a deterent. No doubt if you stick it under your nose, you might need a nose job, but stick any gun under your nose and see what u get. I am sure if you look long enough u can find some down sides to ported guns, just like I can find down sides to not ported guns, U have to weigh allthings out and then make a decision. Me telling you one thing and u experienceing another is not my intentions. All shooters experience felt recoil differently. Gary b lives his PM40 and claims no issues with recoil. Many do report that, so again different strokes for different folks.

Personally in that position u call close combat, I just cal lit hip shooting. I can't hit jack sh-t that way, so I try to do most of my shooting in the position I think I can hit something with. To many scenarios for me also.
    Ur still gonna get muzzle blast with a ported gun, so please don't think the porting takes away all of the muzzle blast, It does not..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yup that's it. Pretty much a standard combat technique taught to LEO's. When you are within touching distance of your assailant you do not extend the gun out you hold it close and fire. Inside of 1-3 yards accuracy with a little bit of practice accuracy can be quite good.

With non ported barrrels you get virtually no upward blowback. That is one reason my department and many others do not permit ported weapons. Ported guns are fantastic for target/competition shooting. For up close and personal defense maybe not so much.

I am with ya on the felt recoil. I have NO problems with my CW45 but others think the recoil is brutal. To me it is nothing to worry about. I am just as accurate with my Kahr 45 as my 9. Also to me the 40's have bit more muzzle flip than does either the 45 or 9. Each of us is different and that is a good thing.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hardscrable View Post
    Apparently no one has experience/opinion of MagnaPorting. I was on their website yesterday and wondering how much difference it would make if done to a CW 40.
    I have had (and loved) a FNP-40 for a few years after years of smaller caliber semi-autos or 38 special. Didn't like carrying & concealing that large and heavy of gun all the time...especially in t-shirt weather...so I end up with a pocket pistol or J-frame most of time. A while back bought CW-40 with Crimson Trace. Am having trouble shooting...control & accuracy. As a senior citizen, I know my hand/wrist strength is diminishing (eyesight too- trifocals) and it probably won't get any better. Thought maybe I would have to sell gun and try something else (slightly heavier, different brand, or maybe both in a 9 MM). Saw an ad for MagnaPort. Went to website -would cost $ 140 + shipping, etc. Sounds interesting but didn't want to invest more $$ and still end up getting rid of gun. Saw this thread and was hoping to hear from 'the voice of experience' on MagnaPort.
    I MagNaPorted my P9 and I love it. I much prefer having the gases escape out the tops sides at about a 45 degree angle rather than the Kahr ported barrel where they come straight up.

Default I

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Yup that's it. Pretty much a standard combat technique taught to LEO's. When you are within touching distance of your assailant you do not extend the gun out you hold it close and fire. Inside of 1-3 yards accuracy with a little bit of practice accuracy can be quite good.

With non ported barrrels you get virtually no upward blowback. That is one reason my department and many others do not permit ported weapons. Ported guns are fantastic for target/competition shooting. For up close and personal defense maybe not so much.

I am with ya on the felt recoil. I have NO problems with my CW45 but others think the recoil is brutal. To me it is nothing to worry about. I am just as accurate with my Kahr 45 as my 9. Also to me the 40's have bit more muzzle flip than does either the 45 or 9. Each of us is different and that is a good thing.
    haven't done alot of hip shooting like ur talking about but I have done enough with my magna ported PM9 to say IMO it never blew my hat off, or burned my cloths or anything of that nature. If I felt any blast from the ports upward, it was so negliable that I can't attest to if it was the result of the porting or just the gun being in such a position that it is impossable to not get some muzzle blast anyways...I guess tome that wouldnt even be a worry on my part. I would think if indeed a upward blast was evident the BG would feel it just as much as I would. If that is considered a real disadvantage over porting advantages, then Indeed I have said this many times. DON'T PORT IT Shoot it like it came out of the box...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

The ported barrel in my P9 definitely has a better follow up shot and noticeably less recoil. Not a lot less but less recoil. When shot at night, There is a bit of a small flash, but you get that with any short barrel ecven with no port. I have the K40 as well. The K40 might be one of the best single stacks ever made

The Kahr ported barrels throw the blast forward and up and allow the full velocity of your rounds. I had a Mag-na-ported P40 and then got a DLC P40 and added the ported barrel... much better. The flash is almost unnoticeable in difference with the regular barrel... and ... doesn't foul your slide and the front sight.
    The Mag-na-ported one would be more troublesome if you held it close to your body, while the Kahr ported barrel slot is slanted to the upper front... 30-40 degrees, a guess.
    Pictures:
    Mag-na-ported P40 with bright stuff!
    " with Winchester PDX1.
    " with Rem UMC 180-gr FMJ, bright!
    Stacked from top: P9, P40, and Glock 23C
    Last the P9 with 4" ported barrel. I couldn't find more pictures of the Kahr ported barrels being fired... 9mm or .40. The one shown is with defense ammo, the Federal Micro HST 150-gr without much flash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".