Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How fast can you field strip and reassemble?

"I do remember field stripping our m16a1's as an informal competition at day end, perhaps it is a military thing. It was 40 years ago and I have always enjoyed taking firearms apart. "

I enjoy taking all kinds of stuff apart! It's trying to put stuff back together again when things get a little foggy for me.
    Demo was my forte in the construction world. I still miss it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I can strip and reassemble my PM9 between 35-40 seconds, if I can get the recoil spring to seat properly. Of course, I know I can shave off time in a competition, making sure it goes bang after it's reassembled is more important!

BTW - that youtube video of the girl stripping the AR is awesome.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Yea, in-country strip is one thing, when your in the mud, crap and rain all day...need to have it ready. However, in civi life time is better spent practicing...(ie., dry fire). It's just not essential to stip fast in civi world.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Getting the recoil spring in is a big deal for me too. I have found that it works best when the open end of the spring is pointing up while looking at the upside down slide. Makes me wonder why both ends of the spring couldn't be designed like the back end.

I would say that checking chamber is first step and dry fire is the last step

Quote Originally Posted by dontreadonme View Post
    I can strip and reassemble my PM9 between 35-40 seconds, if I can get the recoil spring to seat properly. Of course, I know I can shave off time in a competition, making sure it goes bang after it's reassembled is more important!

BTW - that youtube video of the girl stripping the AR is awesome.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I tried reversing my spring on my PM40 and if the recoil spring is not installed correctly, the entire spring assembly simply can not be installed. The spring appears to be the way it is by design. The way I see it, the spring simply needs to be installed correctly.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    About half a cup of coffee for a Kahr...including clean & oil.
    You, too, huh? I like to take my time.....it's just a relaxing thing for me, for some reason. I know one thing....the next time my wife comes in when I'm cleaning my guns I'm slinging some Hoppes #9 on her and chasing her around the house. That stuff smells better than a 2 stroke.
    Don't go ninjin' nobody who don't need ninjin'!

Pine Mountain, Ga. will always be HOME.

CZ 2075 Rami 9
    CZ PCR D (2)
    S&W Shield 9mm (2)
    Kahr CM9
    Mossberg 930 SPX
    Remington 597
    PSA/Spikes AR-15

I used to screw with people as an armorer. I'd get some one asking for a quick class on what ever weapon, I'd agree, and if they blinked they'd miss the dis-assembly, and the re-assembly. They would have me do it by the numbers, and I still had to do it three or four times. Great fun. I don't practice doing things like that at speed, but I am familiar enough with all of my fire arms that any of them come apart in a couple of seconds. They go back together just as fast, and I spend more time on a function check than I do moving parts off or on.
    On a related note, I smashed the tip of my thumb good fashion at work the other day, and simple tasks have taken a new dimension, and I can't wait for that callus to build itself up.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I have a Llama 1911 too and find it very good shooting. It is an older parkerized finish and not a real looker but goes boom every time and is dead nuts accurate. It is the shorter barreled design. Hard to be beat a gun that shoots well, it does weigh over two pounds and not as nice to have in my pocket holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Kahr P45
    Ruger P345
    Llama (don't laugh, it shoots better than you do) 1911
    A few other toys that make the list a might long.

Nothing like a good blow from a waffle faced framing hammer to a thumb or finger to put life in a whole new perspective. Been there too many times.
    I nearly whimper just thinking about it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My wrench slipped. I hate when that happens.
    As to the Llama, it used to have a very nice blued finish, then I discovered that if you actually carry it, the finish wears off. I had mine Parkerized, but am not at all happy with how it turned out. I'll likely do a dura-coat or something similar later. I do know that I have out shot many much higher priced pistols with it, and won more than a few range bets with it. The only thing I am not fond of on that pistol is the fact that Colt mags do not fit, and the 8 rd Kimber mags do not lock the slide open. I prefer 8 rd magazines and may add to the follower so that I get slide lock. I need a TIG welder.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.