Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Lead in my Kahr

Question??? 'Fire Lapping' or just 'Shooting in' a pistol-- does this really lap or hone??Or does it just burnish other metals to make it smoooooother?
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

When the Government is wrong, it's dangerous to be right!

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter ... don't mind .
    .. and those that mind ... don't matter!

Earle
    I don't plan on using anything but normal bullets, no special abrasive bullets. Just lapping it by firing it.

Sorry I should have been more specific--I was referring to 'Guilde' metal jacketing. Maybe lead!!
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

When the Government is wrong, it's dangerous to be right!

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter ... don't mind .
    .. and those that mind ... don't matter!

500KV:
    Liquid alox is good stuff and a bottle comes with Lee's sizing dies.

I have a wimpy single stage press dedicated to sizing and can re-size a box of 500 bullets in about 20 minutes.
    I push all of the cast bullets I buy thru a Lee sizing die and have found it helps with accuracy and leading.

I don't cast but acquired a LOT of 38 as cast bullets.
    By a lot I mean 10-5 lbs. coffee cans and 25-1 lbs. cans full!!

I got a lubing/sizing press with the bullets but sold it as it was too much like work and liquid alox works better.
    I just roll them in a cool whip container with liquid alox, push them thru the sizing die, lube them again, and call that done.
    And, when you size them it pushed the Alox into the lube grooves
    I wipe each bullet base when loading.
    They shoot a lttle messy but hey, free bullets.

I re-size all the 9mm lead bullets I buy for the same reason, less leading, better accuracy.
    I have several sizing dies .355 thru .358 to size to each gun.

Way too much info right there.
    Tilos

tilos
    Nice stash of 38 bullets. I have some lee alox and will try lubing my bullets with them.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV (as told to high school students.)

100:
    Yes, but they are all 148gr wadcutters.
    I load them to .357 data, in a 38 case and crimp 'em long in a lube groove to match .357 case capacity.

They stick out of a 38 cylinder, so no chance of anyone ever shooting them out of a 38 'cause the cylinder won't close or turn.
    GP100 and Blackhawk only ammo.
    Shoots dirty, smokey, but Alox smells nice enough.

A subject for another thread someday maybe...wheel guns.
    Wrong place though.

Tilos

Ok guys, lots of interesting comments on shooting lead bullets. I recently bought a couple of boxes of 500 lead bullets from Magnus and Midway. Some .380 and some 9mm. Magnus says their lead bullets are 18 brinell. Is that hard enough that I can load them to midrange pressure and shoot them out of a pistol with regular lands and grooves rifling and not worry about leading? I'm using some HP-38. The .380 are 92 grain and the 9mm is 124 grain.

94zcar:
    Because you asked about lead bullets, go here, lots to read for us techno types.

MBC makes and sells THE best cast bullets on line and will cast any Brinell, then size them to whatever you want.

Good prices and fast delivery...life is good.

http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php

You will be shocked at the prices after buying Magnus from Midway.
    just sayin'
    Tilos

Thanks Tilos, lots of good info. Very interesting how the gases blowing by the bullets cause the leading. I like that formula they have to calculate the correct hardness. 18 brinell should work just fine for me. Good prices also!

One reason I bought from Magnus is they take Paypal, so I don't get in trouble with the wife after spending lots of $$$ on bullets. I make a little xtra money selling stuff sometimes on Ebay.

Good to know it helped you.
    I returned stuff bought on a c card once and when buying a car they ran a credit check.
    The guy comes back and says, "now that's a 1st, they owe YOU money".
    I have friends that we buy each other's stuff for the reason you mentioned.

Back on subject, if you get leading towards the crown end of the barrel, the lube is not doing it's job.
    After shooting lead the barrel crown should have lube smooge in a flower pedal pattern matching the rifling.
    That tells you the lube lasted the entire trip down the barrel.
    MBC uses good lube.
    Tilos