Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 118 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1665

Thread: Come Into Bawanna's Famous Grip Emporium

Year of the 10/22 or birth of a Charger Mares Leg.

Wlfman contacted me not long ago with a project that he thunk up and wanted to know if I was interested in playing.
    When I heard of the plan I was actually quite excited and anxious to get to making sawdust. So with his approval here the tail or birth of a Charger Mares Leg.

It important if you try this at home to have a Charger since it started life as a pistol and is perfectly ok and legal and stuff. The way it sits here in my man cave is not ok. My 10/22 is NOT a Charger and doesn't say Charger on the action.
    That being said I was happy to discover that the barrel taper and everything on the Charger is exactly the same as the standard 10/22 Ruger rifle. The barrel channel fits perfectly.

Before everyone falls asleep here's some pictures.

Here's the standard 10/22 stock shortly after I cut off both ends. It wasn't quite as stressful as bobtailing a 1911 since there are lots of standard 10/22 stocks out there and I have two more waiting in the wings in case I screwed up.

Started sanding since I knew it was going to be a total refinish before we was done.

More sanding and starting fabricate a buttplate.

Took a big chunk out of the fore end to create kind of a snable. Hoping it helps keep the hand from venturing too far forward.

Buttplate on.

Standing next to a uncut 10/22 rifle.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Moving forward briskly, much much faster than real life here's the action in the stock after a few hours of checkering, finishing and head scratching.

Contour up front and some scratching on the forend.

With my Uberti 45 Colt Mares leg.

With the missing appendage.

Did a little scratching on the pistol grip too, seemed like the right thing to do. Also did bottom of the grip and top also but neglected to take a pic.

So I think a few more coats of oil and this puppy will be headed back to it's rightful owner.

I think I might take it to work tomorrow for show and tell, a few co workers heard of this project and are kind of hoping to see it.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I only have one word, right now. It’s, “...........(inhale).........(remember to inhale again).......”, and then, “.....Wowww......Wowww.....”. Lots of thoughts. “Wowww....”.

Bawanna, that is what I had envisioned, times Pi (at least). Thank you, so much!

Guys & Gals, Bawanna took our conversations in which I communicated general hopes, and then I said, “You have creative license to make it what it will be.” I believe I said something like, “You are the ringmaster of this circus, having gotten a glimpse of the audience’s general hopes and/or expectations.”

Originally, I asked to be completely surprised. But, boy am I glad I agreed to view some of the photos during the process (some of you probably saw some of the photos before I did, tonight. And, I am so glad Bawanna asked if I was ok with him posting photos in The Emporium before I got to see it in person (but gave me the option of waiting to see it in person, first.). I thought seeing the photos might add to my excitement, and I was definitely right.

Throughout the process, our discussions created an image in my mind. What you are seeing is that image, but oh so much prettier and better than what I allowed myself to imagine.

I went from initially questioning the necessity/purpose of the Ruger Charger, to really liking the concept, to wanting one (after Ruger quit making the Gen1 version), to finding one, to then having a crazy hair-brained idea to turn it into a Mares Leg (again, it is still a pistol), to realizing last year (after two neck surgeries) that the Mares Leg configuration would allow me to shoot it more ergonomically. So, I can understand if any of you are thinking, “What/why in the world...?”.

Now, I can go to the range with my son, with him shooting “his” Henry Lever-action 22, and me shooting what you see in the photos.

I’m going to stop now, since I can’t really remember everything I just typed, considering I am typing this on my phone. I’m gonna go back and spend some time looking at the photos again. Kinda like when I would sit at my grandparents’ house, reading the Sears Roebuck catalog. Really, I was re-reading the description of the three go-karts they offered, dreaming that one could be mine. Now, I get to look at these photos, KNOWING that the stock will be mine (as soon as Bawanna has gotten his play-time/show & tell time with it.) :-)

Bawanna, thank you, so much! I’m sure I will definitely have more comments to post after receiving it.

-Wlf

Pretty cool project! I was asking myself, “Why???” But realized the only answer is, “Why not?”

Still need a few more coats of oil so keep your britches cinched up for a bit. I'll take it tomorrow for show and tell, more oil tomorrow night, maybe one more the next day and off she goes maybe Thursday. One more might be enough but we don't want to short change those thirsty wood grains.

I'm tickled your pleased. It's kind of a relief. Ooooo I didn't screw up.

You forgot to mention your only absolute requirement was it wouldn't be pink. I normally only hear that from Jocko but just to be safe as I told you I sent back the pink stain. Thought it was right purty and I was partial to it.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

UPS ing her way home.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    UPS ing her way home.
    I cant wait! I’ll post photos on Tuesday when it shows up!

I’m curious about the overall opinions from the peanut gallery, especially after I mount the RDS on it. I think the general consensus might be that the huge red dot sight I have detracts from the look. We will see. I also have two “leather guys” to turn to (at some point) after it arrives. I am waffling between a “quiver holster” worn over the shoulder, and a belt/leg Mares Leg holster. One leather guy makes custom saddles, and another (the guy that made my black alligator P380 magazine sheath that attaches to my belt) makes custom exotic-skin boots. The most popular boot being his alligator boots custom-made to each of your feet. He uses the scraps of alligator, shark, stingray, ostrich leg (REALLY strong!), and others to make fun projects afterward. Cell phone cases, wallets, knife sheaths, etc. I’ll post photos of those in a different area of the forum as soon as I get to 30 posts. Can you believe I have been a free-loading member here since 2012, and will hit the 30-post photo-permission level in 2018? That’s pretty sad.

Back on track, now...

I feel like a kid counting down the days until Santa arrives...

-Wlf

Edited 2/23 to remove the unfortunate extra “s” I inadvertently placed in the word “as”. And, replaced a period with a question mark. Spelling and punctuation do make a huge difference (ie. “Let’s eat, grandma!” vs. “Let’s eat grandma!”). That’s not my example. I borrowed that from someone on another forum.
    Last edited by Wlfman13; 02-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Well, in my excitement of planning to provide photos Tuesday when the stock arrives, I overlooked the fact that I will be out of town next week, so I probably won’t be able to post photos until Thursday night.

-Wlf

Well it's Friday, maybe some more pictures soon?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Nice work as always, Col.!