Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: Sore hands from shooting.

Default Sore hands from shooting.

So as I posted in another thread. I shot 100 rounds at a local range, 50 rounds of 180 grn .40 hollow points (not +p), and 50 rounds of 158 grn .357 Magnums.
    The next day, the web of my strong side hand is a little sore. Is it from age, lack of practice, or who knows?

Before I retired, I used to shoot 150-200 rounds per week. Now I shoot 100 rounds per month. (All I can afford).

Is my soreness age related, or just that I don't practice as much.
    It only seems to affect the webbing between my thumb and pointy finger. Never noticed it when I shot a lot. And, I don't notice until the day after, leaning towards lack of practice.
    NRA Benefactor

I would say lack of pratice/shooting. Pretty much the same if one has been lifting weights or running every day, and then takes a year off. They then jump back in starting the same routine. It'll feel great the day the start, but guaranteed they will lucky to get out of bed. Age does creep up on us and tends to limit us on what we used to be able to do, so it could be a combo of those two issues.

Well, you were shooting .40 and .357. (My 2 favorite calibers ) A person's hands will take some punishment from those 2 loads. Did you have your hand/grip as high on the grip as possible? When you do that, the web of your hand will inevitably take the brunt of recoil. You don't mention the type of firearms.......................

AJBert, I think we are both right. Lack of practice.
    So...to keep my hand from hurting, I need to practice more, which cost more for ammo.
    Should I start a go-fund-me to alleviate my hand soreness?

On another note, I have thought about starting my on religion. A non-profit that praised firearms. The Church of Cartridge. The "Church" would be a firing range. Your tithe's would be tax deductible, and enable you to partake in the ceremonies. (sending lead down range). Not sure how the federales would feel about that.
    NRA Benefactor

Take your cane by the handle and wack the end on the ground as hard as you can 500 times. Repeat daily until your hand toughens up.

I found that working out a little with two 10 pound dumbbells 3 to 4 times a week resolved a lot of my hand, wrist, and arm issues and helped out my shooting endurance. I was a desk jockey before I retired at 58 so I got no exercise.

Now 2 1/2 years later I’m up to doing 5 sets of 12 curls followed by 12 lifting the dumbbells overhead whatever you call that (total of 60 of each) 4 times a week. Other than the possible blisters from 250 rounds of .40 there are no longer the aches and pains even with the medical issues they are treating. I’m up to 60 squats to a chair level 4 times a week too, that gets the heart pumping in the morning for sure.

I try to do it in the morning before the wife gets up and starts interfering in my day. Bad thing is now I’m retired I can’t afford to shoot as much.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    ................ Bad thing is now I’m retired I can’t afford to shoot as much.
    Yep

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

The body has amazing recuperative capabilities if we give it what it needs. I recently got serious about the gym again and, although hurting/sore all of the time, in different areas, after just 1 month I am seeing less lower back pain and shoulder pain. As funny as it may sound, I think dustnchips is correct. Something like that would increase blood flow, stimulate the nerves and get nutrients flowing into that area. I think that’s why my back and shoulder are getting better.

It’s just age, I’m almost 67 and everyday I see something in the mirror that looks different and not for the better, I noticed that the web of my hands between the thumb and index finger the muscle has almost disappeared which doesn’t cause grip problems but makes shooting somewhat painful after a few rounds……The thing that really gets me is how in the world can you somehow get a decent nights sleep but still wake up feeling like you ran 10 miles, getting old really sucks………