Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 158 of 183 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1823

Thread: Come Into Bawanna's Famous Grip Emporium

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Nice work on all your projects!
    Your Springfield looks a lot nicer than mine, which has a broken firing pin.
    I have a replacement from Dixie Gun Works, but will have to let a smith install it - some issues with the screw on the trapdoor.
    Mine does have a cleaning rod and a bayonet.
    Dad bought it as surplus from the Missouri National Guard sometime in the 1920s for $1.25.

Four pages of Trapdoor parts at Dixie here:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...ield+Trapdoor/
    Sheez! That’s some big ol cartridges. Those guys were shootin some firepower back then! Those are neat old rifles you guys have. Not my deal, but something that would be cool to fondle. I’d always be wondering who held it? Did it see battle? How many times was the family fed dinner with it? I love history in that way. Same reason I can look at an old house or building to the point that whoever I’m with says “can we go now”?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Both of my 10/22’s have the factory, old school stocks (metal butt plate). If you come upon a black poly stock I would trade you. But, I think that by the time we pay for shipping, might not be in our favor. Let me look something up… think I saw one for sale around here and if I can make a connection that is worth your while then that would be a good thing. Be back in a bit!
    UPDATE: Sorry Colonel, that guys ad is gone. My offer stands if that’s something that would suite.
    Bird, If you are interested, I have a black polymer 1022 stock I’ll send to you. Then, once you receive mine, you can send one of your wood stocks to Bawanna.

Let me know.

-Wlf

Quote Originally Posted by Wlfman13 View Post
    Bird, If you are interested, I have a black polymer 1022 stock I’ll send to you. Then, once you receive mine, you can send one of your wood stocks to Bawanna.

Let me know.

-Wlf
    Mighty kind of you! Ok. Let’s do it. I will PM you my info!

Sheez! That’s some big ol cartridges. Those guys were shootin some firepower back then! Those are neat old rifles you guys have. Not my deal, but something that would be cool to fondle. I’d always be wondering who held it? Did it see battle? How many times was the family fed dinner with it? I love history in that way. Same reason I can look at an old house or building to the point that whoever I’m with says “can we go now”?
    You nailed it Bird. It's like holding history in your hand. A coworker at the PD had one that he had all the provenance on. Knew who had it, who got it when the first guy was killed. It was the very first action leading up to Gettysburg. I got to hold it a couple times and there was documents that took over an hour to assimilate. It was so valuable he couldn't be comfy hanging it on a wall and wouldn't fit in his safe which would have been sad. He sold it to a collector who had a display area like the Cody Museum. I of course have nothing at all other than a very good friend who has passed got it from his dad and their son gave it to me. I told him I was just a foster home and he could have it back anytime. He's not really into old stuff and he's comfy with me caring for it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Mighty kind of you! Ok. Let’s do it. I will PM you my info!
    You guys are awesome. I take these and make a Charger into a Mares leg. Done a few. I'll take all I can get but am tickled and happy with just one.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You guys are awesome. I take these and make a Charger into a Mares leg. Done a few. I'll take all I can get but am tickled and happy with just one.
    I’ll post pics of the 2 I’ve got. One is a little lighter in color than the other. Maybe different wood? Or just different stain? I’m sure a guy like you would know. Makes no difference to me which stays or goes. Both are in really nice shape, which lead me to possible overpay for them. I just could not see paying almost as much for the new ones, being that the trigger group, etc are now plastic. I read the poly stocks are a wee bit lighter, so I’m sure that if their end intended purposes are ever realized then the trigger guy or gal on my “team” would appreciate a few less oz’s!

That Springfield cleaned up real nice Colonel. Looks like you found a diamond in the rough. Must be a good feeling holding it after making it look like a treasured heirloom again! I can't imagine holding a rifle as heavy as that one up while trying to draw a bead on something. It must weight 10lbs give or take huh?

Colonel, here's the 2 I have.
    20230116_102510.jpg

Actually they are both almost too nice. I hate to deface a perfect stock. Actually the rougher the better for my purposes. I would say the top one is Birch which most of them are, the bottom is no doubt walnut. I've ran across a few but seems to be far more Birch. Many thumb their nose at Birch but it's very strong, some say stronger than Walnut. Just doesn't have the cosmetic appeal that Walnut does. Most of what you see on the Birch stock is the stain. Sand that off and it would be nearly white, very, very blonde. One needs to seal it before any stain or it comes out very blotchy.

I'm thinking maybe you ought to hang on to those as they are really nice. I'll keep looking for a more abused one, and I'd prefer Walnut like most everybody else.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Actually they are both almost too nice. I hate to deface a perfect stock. Actually the rougher the better for my purposes. I would say the top one is Birch which most of them are, the bottom is no doubt walnut. I've ran across a few but seems to be far more Birch. Many thumb their nose at Birch but it's very strong, some say stronger than Walnut. Just doesn't have the cosmetic appeal that Walnut does. Most of what you see on the Birch stock is the stain. Sand that off and it would be nearly white, very, very blonde. One needs to seal it before any stain or it comes out very blotchy.

I'm thinking maybe you ought to hang on to those as they are really nice. I'll keep looking for a more abused one, and I'd prefer Walnut like most everybody else.
    Thanks for letting me know what they are. I had no idea. Yes, given their age, I think they are both in very nice condition, which led me to grabbing them.
    I already told Wlfman yes though. What should we do? I can probably find one around here by posting a wanted ad, then send that one to you? I do not want to back out after telling him yes, but I think I would have a little time and can score one before his arrives. If not, I’d honor what’s already been said. Based on what you said, I’d send the Birch then