Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 71 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Come Into Bawanna's Famous Grip Emporium

Bawanna is a very very talented man. For such a dipsh!t on this forum, he is a genius in his man cave. Love the two hotties!!! Just sayin.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    Hey Bawanna!

Are you fitting to the actual 1911 for which these grips are destined? I ask because it seems like a wrap around like that might introduce some new dimensional challenges if there are any variations in the frames.

Certainly, you are the right man to overcome any such unique challenges as my remarkable Bawanna Super Thins demonstrate.

But, I had to ask.

Hey, watching your progress is a whole lot more fun than what I probably should be doing.

We seem to be getting some of your signature weather here in Arizona.
    The member who requested them said he had several 1911's and the samples he sent fit them all. I know that Auto Ordnance new models are deeper front to back in the frame, fortunately I knew this before I took these on. The radius on the front strap is the same but the distance is longer on the AO which is what I use to fit most of the time.
    So I used my Desert Eagle. I was gonna use my Ruger but the grip bushings wouldn't budge and I didn't want to mess them up.

Most other 1911's I've seen are all pretty much the same and he had a photo of a 22 1911 with them on it too so hopefully they will fit.

At first I really wasn't warm to the idea but the more I handle these the more I like them. They really force a high hold, and create just a really good grip. Hand less likely to slide off when drawing.
    It basically forces a proper grip but also impedes a slight grip change if needed.

I was hoping these wouldn't be too popular because it's challenging (ok a pain in the backside) to make em. I'm already working my head on how to streamline and make it easier since I'll need at least one set for myself.

This would also be a set that would benefit from stabilized wood so that little front strap piece has some better structural integrity. I don't know how it's gonna hold up. I've not been gentle working it and so far all is good.

Tremendous amount of waste as well since so much of the inside has to be cut away to create that front strap wrap.

My son did comment that for a small handed person these would be the ticket. The front strap wrap combined with a super thin grip panel.

I didn't do this on this set since it's experimental but perhaps in the future if there is a future.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Guess I should have known you would be way ahead of me!

As usual . . .

I will now return to my seat in the peanut gallery.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    Guess I should have known you would be way ahead of me!

As usual . . .

I will now return to my seat in the peanut gallery.
    Only reason I'm ahead of you is I hit a small rock with the front caster and got launched across the finish line in a photo finish.
    The road rash will clear up someday. Ask the expert Jocko on that.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have a few sets of 1911 grips whittled out if anyone is interested or they blow your dress up, let me know and we'll talk about it.

First is a set of Zebra Wood, half checkered. Thought it was a unique piece of Zebra, kind of different.

Then a set of undyed Box Elder Burl stabilized wood. I thought they were kind of plain so I inlaid a diamond of Gaboon Ebony and checkered the whole thing.

Lastly for now I got a set of Wenge wood. Doesn't show up to good in the pictures but it has a unique and different grain to it as well. I haven't checkered it as yet, haven't decided. If your interested we can go either way on that set.

I'm pulling the handle on the reloader and kind of fondling wood during frequent breaks. Breaks are my forte.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Uh oh! Did SWMBO notice what followed you home!??

I just clicked onto the latest post and noticed that looked like one of your recent lusts... not talking about the YL in the frame!

Congrats! NOW, what are you going to lust for??

I just noticed that I had spent a grand or so on ammo and magazines the last 30 days! It's probably a better investment than silver... or gold now and soon, anyhow!

Guns and ammo and magazines are going to get harder to find, especially SOME. That's why I've been adding a few more mags... or a bunch more, in the case of my XD45. I guess a dozen should hold me.

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 01-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Default @!!

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Uh oh! Did SWMBO notice what followed you home!??

I just clicked opnto the latest post and noticed that looked like one of your recent lusts... not talking about the YL in the frame!

Congrats! NOW, what are you going to lust for??

I just noticed that I had spent a grand or so on ammo and magazines the last 30 days! It's probably a better investment than silver... or gold now and soon, anyhow!

Guns and ammo and magazines are going to get harder to find, especially SOME. That's why I've been adding a few more mags... or a bunch more, in the case of my XD45. I guess a dozen should hold me.

Wynn
    Not sure what you refer to Wyn. The Ruger? Got that about a year ago or so. Haven't brought any new toys home in quite a spell.
    I'm semi focused on bullets, and reloading stuff and Kukhris now. Trying to diversify and visit the blade forum occasionally.

Kind of multi lingual so to speak. See if the monkey want's to try and take my blades too ya know. Stick it to the man!
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Those Zebra wood grips are amazing looking! I just need to find a 1911 so I can beg you out of them.....or beg you out of them and then convince my wife I need to "finish" the 1911 I have started.....

OH! I thought you were still in the hunt for a Ruger 1911. I missed a few episodes of "Grips".

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Old Lincoln, Thanks for posting those pictures of those grips. Takes some talent and a bit of practice to get to that level of workmanship. Very nice work, Bawanna!