Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remora Holsters

Default Remora Holsters

Now that I've had a chance to gain some experience with Remora holsters I thought I would report back with my findings and thoughts.

When I first heard of these holsters I was skeptical because they lack a clip to fasten to one's belt. Instead, Remora holsters rely on a "sticky" material, which seems slightly similar to the stuff they use to make mats for your dashboard, to hold your keys, phone, etc. I was skeptical, but after reading reviews by others who have tried this holster, I decided to give it a try, and I'm glad that I did.

There are several things I like about the Remora, which are unique.
    1. The lack of a clip results in a holster that feels thinner when carried IWB. It is simply less obtrusive, especially when seated in a chair or (especially) when driving in the car.
    2. It stays in it's place securely, but when I do want to move it, I don't have to undo a buckle, belt or clip.
    3. This holster works equally well in the pants pocket, IWB or in a jacket pocket. It also sits flat on either side, with no clip to knock it off balance. When I set my gun in my center console or glove box, the "sticky" material keeps it from sliding around as the car moves, and it lays flat. On a given day, I might switch my holster from IWB, to vehicle console, to jacket pocket or messenger bag. With the Remora, I only need to leave the house with one holster.
    4. The price is right! (about $25).

So far I have used this holster with a PM9, a Seecamp .32 and a Smith 642 and I have no complaints, with one exception. The Seecamp holster (model 1B) originally fit a bit loosely, so I called Remora and spoke with Alan. Alan offered several possible solutions, and he ended up adjusting a 1B holster for me to allow for a tighter fit with the Seecamp. Customer service was outstanding, more than I would expect for a $25 purchase, and the Seecamp is a perfect fit with the adjusted model 1B. As if this wasn't already a "best buy" holster, it features a lifetime, "no questions asked" warranty.

See attached photos (mediocre quality, taken with phone camera).

Burns
    Attached Images Attached Images

Burns:
    Thanks for the review, there's a couple of those on my short "to buy" list.
    Not often a product comes along that is multi use and good at them all.
    Most important is you get a 3 or 4 function holster for less cost than a single function rig.
    thanks again,
    Tilos

Edit: Just pulled the trigger and ordered 2

I'm gonna second everything burns said concerning the Remora holsters.
    I bought the size 6 and have been carrying either a G36, CW45, CW40 or a Kimber UC around for a few weeks now and am amazed at how well the guns stay put with jeans, even without a belt.

I wouldn't call the material sticky but maybe tacky.
    It's easy to adjust the cant and waistline depth of the gun since there are no clips, belt loops, etc. to be concerned about.

I've acquired boxes of holsters over the years, should have bought more guns, and this is the best 25 bucks I've invested in a long time.

I was going to order the size 5 for my PM9 but I usually carry it in a pocket holster so guess I'll hold off on that for now.
    For an IWB rig I don't think you can beat it.
    Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

A third endorsement of the Remora holsters: I have Remora holsters for my S&W j-frame revolvers, my S&W BG380, and my newly acquired Kahr PM9. I use these holsters regularly (daily) and have been very happy with them. They are especially suitable for lightweight semi-autos, although they work well for revolvers too.

Agree! I have a couple for my PM9, Glock 27, and H&K USP compact.

Perhaps the only down side is it's not tuckable.

Plus side is you can position the height of the grip exactly as you want it for that day, clothes, .... Strong side, appendix, small of the back, cross draw, same holster!

Alan also has variants with a extra mag holder attached to the holster or just mag holders that work exactly like the holster, position it and go. I have found the holster to be very comfortable over a 12+ hour day.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

One's on my wish list for this year. I still enjoy pocket carry, but this Remora sounds like it is versatile for both pocket and IWB. Thanks for the input guys.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I'll recommend them too. I have a drawer full of IWB holsters, and the Remora is the only one I ever use. I'm not sure of the size I have but it fits my PM45 and all of my compact 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by pm9fan View Post

Perhaps the only down side is it's not tuckable.
    True. The other downside is that although it is absolutely stable ENOUGH, it is not AS stable as a CBST, for example. This normally isn't an issue. However, if I had to play soccer with a holster on, I would choose a CBST over a Remora (I will NOT be playing soccer with a holster on, so it isn't an issue).

Opinions on a combat grip?

Does the weapon seem to sit a little low or deep in the holster so that you must employ a two stage gripping technique when you draw? One grip to clear the depth of the holster and then a shift yo your shooting grip.

My friend has a remora for his EMP and I must give it a nod as the quality seems solid and it does stay put IWB. with the EMP full size grip, drawing was no issue, but I doubts about how my MK9 with w flush mag would work.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyapeman View Post
    Opinions on a combat grip?

Does the weapon seem to sit a little low or deep in the holster so that you must employ a two stage gripping technique when you draw? One grip to clear the depth of the holster and then a shift yo your shooting grip.

My friend has a remora for his EMP and I must give it a nod as the quality seems solid and it does stay put IWB. with the EMP full size grip, drawing was no issue, but I doubts about how my MK9 with w flush mag would work.
    I don't know anything about the two-stage gripping technique, but my concern with any holster is that I am able to get a secure grip on the pistol before drawing. I don't want the holster to interfere with my ability to obtain a secure grip, and I don't want to have to make any adjustments to my grip after drawing the pistol. The Remora for the PM9 (same size as the MK9) seems to me to fit perfectly. It provides a secure grip on the pistol, but otherwise provides near-complete coverage of the pistol, protecting it from sweat, lint, scratches, etc. If I didn't know better, I would say that it was designed specifically for the PM9/MK9. I'll have to go check to see what size I ordered. It was the size that Alan (owner of Remora) recommended for the PM9.