Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kahr CW9 = RECOIL MONSTER!?!?!?

redterror Guest

Default New Kahr CW9 = RECOIL MONSTER!?!?!?

I finally took my CW9 to the range today. the gun has a massive recoil pulse making me miss big time, my shots seem to hit too low. Could something be wrong w/my gun? other than that there were no functional issues with the gun. I also took a Taurus PT111 pro and I can hit fairly well & consistently with it, both are 9mm. What do you guys think? is it the gun or me?

I really don't think its the gun, I just got mine the other day and i found it pretty standard for a small pistol, although the plastic grip is a little rough to the hands in my opinion. I bought a slip on sleeve grip for the gun and found it does help on the hands. Maybe give one a shot? Are you familiar with the trigger pull on the Kahr? It took me a couple mags to get used to it considering the guns I normally shoot are DA/SA and SA is much more of a constant short pull rather than the smooth long pull of a Kahr. But keep in mind I am no expert nor do I claim to be. lol But hopefully you enjoy the new toy!!!
    When the sh*t hits the fan... I'll grab my Kahr, and you can grab your cell phone...
    "When seconds count... Help is only minutes away"

:53:

9mmFL is a member of:
    Kahrtalk.com
    FloridaGunForum
    FloridaConcealedCarry

I consider my P9 to be a soft recoil pistol, even shooting +Ps. The grip is a little irritating, so I put a grip sleeve on it.

Recoil doesn't make you miss your target. I agree with the others that for such a small, lightweight pistol, the CW9/ P9 is a fairly soft recoiling pistol. Perhaps you may want to try some different grip styles and find one that suits you well. Personally I have good success using the "thumbs forward" grip.

The various grip sleeves available can make the grip a bit bigger, fills your hand better, and eases the abrasiveness.

The recoil spring has a front and back... is it installed closed end toward the rear, open end to the muzzle?
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

1. "Milking" the grip with the firing hand? That's when your trigger "squeeze" causes the other fingers to tighten also and can pull the sights (and the shot) low.
    2. Anticipating the shot and fighting muzzle flip -- ahead of the actual shot -- usually has the same result.

1. Relax your firing hand grip quite a bit and use the SUPPORTING hand to "mash" the fingertips and palm of your firing hand against the SIDES of the grip, while keeping a push/pull tension between the firing and supporting hands. Then just press the trigger rearward, without engaging the other firing hand fingers to "help out" their neighbor.

2. You're not going to hold the front of the pistol down when it fires, so don't try to "muscle" it anywhere. Just let it ride where it wants to go and stand with open-mouthed amazement as the sights settle right back on target. Perfect neutral grip. If it's not on target or very, very close for the next shot, adjust your grip and try again.

All else being equal, a lighter, shorter pistol will have a bit more violent recoil impulse than it's heavier, longer brethern. BUT, with a Kahr, all is NOT equal, at least in terms of PERCEIVED recoil. The lower bore axis, in relation to where the hand absorbs most of the impulse really, really gentles things down. So much so that I see little difference between a CW45 and a full-size 1911.

Enjoy your CW9.

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by redterror View Post
    I finally took my CW9 to the range today. the gun has a massive recoil pulse making me miss big time, my shots seem to hit too low. Could something be wrong w/my gun? other than that there were no functional issues with the gun. I also took a Taurus PT111 pro and I can hit fairly well & consistently with it, both are 9mm. What do you guys think? is it the gun or me?
    massive recoil out of a CW9, that is about the first time I have ever read that. Your low shots and I bet also to the left are shooter error. Kahrs have a looooong trigger system, Alot different that your PT111. takes some rounds down range to get used to a kahr trigger system. Consider you are shooting a 15 ounce handgun, very small, extremely light but with a super lower bore axis,(by patented design) "felt recoil" is very low.

If it bothers you send it to magna-port.com and get that baby ported, or trade it in and buy the K9 which is all steel, much heavier and certainly one fine shooting gun, ..

It is not the gun . If guns could talk we would all learn soemthing
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I just purchased a CW40 (it's getting fixed right now-long story) but when it fired, I was surprised at how mild the recoil was.

I also own a PM9, CW9 and a P380 plus some Keltecs and I find these pistols to be amazingly pleasant to shoot when you consider what they weigh.

I agree with the previous poster regarding the bore axis being much lower on the Kahrs than other pistols. I find the Keltecs to be the "least" enjoyable to shoot a bunch. An example is the P380-it shoots like a 22 compared to the Keltec P3AT-that little sucker is the least "fun" shooting pistol I own, followed by the Keltec P9F. The bore axis is considerably higher than the Kahrs.

As you can see in my picture, all of my small pistols have slip-on grips. Believe it or not, it makes a pretty significant difference in the "enjoyment factor" of shooting these little pocket rockets.

I didn't include my PM9 as it wouldn't fit on the book cover!!!

When my CW40 comes home and she proves her worth, it's going straight to MagnaPort to have them do their magic. Unlike the 9mm, the 40SW is alittle snappy and having it ported will decrease my time back on target due to muzzle rise.

Recoil is in the hand of the beholder. ie different for every individual but then again, the laws of physics are the same for all of us. I've never experienced objectionable recoil from the CW9, even with +p ammo.

I replied to this same post on a different forum. I hope the good responses you have recieved help you out!

Good luck with the CW9

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

Although I don't consider myself very recoil sensitive, I have a PM9 that is very little hitting with the flush mag and regular ammo. I notice a significant difference when shooting +P SD ammo. I also have a P40 covert that is pretty snappy. If you're shooting regular ammo out of the CW9 and you consider that massive recoil, I'm not sure what you could shoot that you'd consider having minimal recoil... I find the PM9 with regular ammo as easy a shooting gun as any other 9mm I've shot.. even larger ones.

Good luck!