Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement barrel - frunstration / diappointment ..

Default Replacement barrel - frunstration / diappointment ..

.. is only an understatement. I am speechless, and my wife asked me "did you really buy it new?"

Fast forward from sending the barrel to Kahr for plating/hairline cracks issue, I received the replacement barrel in about 2 weeks (total cycle-time) - not bad. During the time I have had good response and communication from Kahr - that's good. I also have make my point on e-mail that "I can wait, am in no rush, just return me with a DEFECT FREE barrel" -- should be a crystal clear message.

What I received on Saturday is new-looking barrel, however:
    * it came with a sharp burr in the oval cut out, it is in the path of the slide stop. (OK .. I said, wtf, I went ahead to deburr it with 0000 steel wool, smooth as silk.) see pixs.

* then the barrel refused to move all the way back . WTF... ..found that apparently the feed ramp is TOO LONG and it does not clear the plastic in front of the trigger spring. How can a PM9 barrel does not fit a PM9? The other 3" barrel is MK9, did they send me a MK9 barrel? By mistake? or By choice? If by choice, wouldn;t they know the barrel spec MIGHT NOT be identical between PM9 and MK9? Update Nov 9th 11 am PDST: with valuable feedback from Deadhead, LDM and Singalestack, we identified that this problem is related to the oversize of the barrel hood which prevents the barrel to be seated properly with the slide. Since it does not seated low (or high) enough onto the slide, the feed ramp is caught by the plastic-piece in the frame preventing it to conti nue the travel.

This is clear evidence of lack of QA. WORSE... this is supposedly a QUALITY REPLACEMENT ... (another member received bad barrels 2 in a row .. and still have issue.) One member suggested that the plating issue has caught attention from senior management, you would think these quality rerurn cases would be "handle with care"? No, siree, it is more like "who fvcking cares?"

I don't want to say anymore, or people might say I'm here trashing Kahr just for trashing sake. In fact I am not, in fact I do intend to rely on Kahr product to protect my life with, however the way they handle quality return and replacement is very poor and inexcusable. I am writing a note to Mr Wada, Mr Moik and Mr Harris.

(except for employees of Kahr Arms, speculative excuses made on their behalf needs not apply, coz I prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth.)

Last edited by wagon; 11-09-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Wow. The circular machine mark above the slide stop hole dose not look right. None of my 3 barrels had that. Keep us informed.

Tks for pointing out, Singlestack, do you have a PM9 too, can you be kind enough to post a pix on the right side of your barrel for comparison purpose?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, something catch my attention. Below is S x S between the original barrel and the replaced barrel, clearly the original did not have the guide-rode cut. Another marvelous example of lack of QA and consistency in their machining and inspection process. Million dollar question: How could something this obvious be missed by the operator / assembler during the assembly process.. ...????

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack_9mm View Post
    Wow. The circular machine mark above the slide stop hole dose not look right. None of my 3 barrels had that. Keep us informed.
    Last edited by wagon; 11-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks for the pix, Singlestack. Are your barrels (or your PM9) of relatively recent production? I will refer them to see this thredd, let's see if Kahr would say mine is the "new design" or not. (i.e. a "feature" not a "bug" as used the I.T. world)

But looks to me someone could be dozing off and made an extra pass (or incomplete cut) ... shouldn't this be done by CNC lathe? Would not be a manual lathe, right?

I just took another pixs on this "super cut", I try to mimic your shot angle for better comparison purpose.

These 2 are pm9 barrels I recieved within the last month. Both have plating problems and are going back to kahr.

Ok. My turn now.

I received my "new" barrel on Saturday. The old peeling barrel was received Oct 22--about a 2 week turn around.

Ok. Right off the bat, I noticed a different finish. The barrel was very dull silver, and the feed ramp was mirror shiny polished. The old barrel looked all the same finish. The new barrel has a small hole-crater in the side about half-way down. I don't think this will be a safety issue.

Ok, the bad part. My barrel would NOT FIT in the slide. In my case the feed ramp was ok, but the top chamber (the portion above the area that has 9 x 19) was too long and would not fit in between the opening in the top of the slide.

I finally jammed it in there, but I had to take 2 thumbs to pry it back out. Once I got it in, the slide would not slide back because in order for the slide to move back, the barrel has to move too. The barrel was lodged in between the opening in the top of the slide.

After fiddleing with it for 30 minutes and sling shotting the slide, it loosened up, but the barrel is a very tight fit in the slide. I have to pry it out.

The old barrel was loose and slid right in place.

I am going to go shooting Wednesday and shoot at least 150 rounds to see if it loosens up or if I have any jams.

Wow. This is very worrisome. As I understand it, the feed ramp length has changed at some point, but I can't cite a specific reference to when or why, just vague recollection.

Deadhead, et al, got my replacement (#3) the end of last week. Wife had shoulder surgery Wed. so time is scarce right now. Got a chance to look things over Sat. PM.

Same problem as covered above.

The hood length to slide is the issue. Look very closely at the fit of the barrel to the opening in the slide and you'll see it it is not seating all the way. That holds the barrel down to far. Mine looked just like Wagon's slide at first, not going far enough back (and the ramp does extend so far down the slide would not go on because the barrel is not seating). Started looking at thefit of the barrel to the slide and saw the hood length issue.

I decided to address this myself, but that's your call. A gunsmith could handle this in a few minutes.

I used honing stones (don't even think about a file, and don't even whisper the word Dremel!) and polished the top front and top back of the hood and just a smidgin of the sides. Hone very little and try the fit, repeat as necessary. Go slow. Repeat: GO SLOW! Do not get in a hurry. It should not be a force fit. The interference is so slight it may be within the specs of the plating. I have the DLC slide and I wonder if it would go right in a stainless slide. Its just that small an amount of interference.

Obviously none of us got a drop-in barrel. And we should not have to be doing this ourselves. And I should be rich instead of just good-looking.

I will try to post pictures but gotta go now. Good luck.

Yes, the hood length is too long for the slide opening. I racked and sling-shotted the slide about 50 times until my thumb became raw. The hood did loosen up.

I did use a file gently on back portion of the hood. I can't tell it did anything. It's still snug.

The problem appears to be the top front portion of the hood. That's where the wear/scratching is the most--both on the barrel and on the inside of the slide.

I am not going to do anything more until I shoot it. I think it will loosen up some more after shooting.