Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PM9 blow ups?

Default PM9 blow ups?

In the " PM9 high maintenance" thread, post #21, Verndog alludes to a couple of " frame blow ups". I have never heard of this. Anyone know anything about this?

To clarify what I was told when I wanted to rent a PM9. "We've has several blown up frames, the problem was more so in the 40's and there was 1 PM9 as well, so we no longer will carry the Kahr line". That was just today at the Marksman range, one of the larger local gun shops in the Seattle Tacoma area.

http://www.themarksman.net/indoor_range.html

Red face

Sounds like some sales person is gettin' outta line with his BS, ... he wants to demo & sell the lines he carries, sooo he 's also pedaling a line o'bull!
    "The wind blew, the shxt flew; ya couldn't see for a week or two ... "
    ~ Shakespeare

I know of the Marksman although I've not ever been there, a little too far south for me to frequent. It is quite a large shop and I see no reason for a sales person there to say that.
    I do agree with RONDO, I think he's spouting a line of bull. He could be a minion and it's not uncommon for them to spread untruths in an effort to hide their lack of knowlege.
    We've certainly never heard of one blowing up here and I beleive if it did happen we would hear about it.

You gotta sort the wheat from the chaffe sometimes or maybe the corn from the cob.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by RONDO View Post
    Sounds like some sales person is gettin' outta line with his BS, ... he wants to demo & sell the lines he carries, sooo he 's also pedaling a line o'bull!
    Really?? Google can be your friend. Found this in a couple minutes.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397863

Also keep in mind these ranges put way more rounds down range in rentals then the average consumer...by alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    You gotta sort the wheat from the chaffe sometimes or maybe the corn from the cob.
    ...or the cow from the pucky.

I wonder if he was talking about something along the lines of the following FAQ from the Kahr website.

http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp#q5

Note the question and answer at the top of the webpage.

I suspect so although I'd not heard that that was designed as a safety measure.
    Also keep in mind Marksman is also an indoor range with a lot of rental guns. Rental guns can sometimes be like rental cars and get severly abused. Most ranges require that you use their ammo in their guns but I'm sure a little field testing goes on too.

I don't mean to label the guy at the Marksman as a lieing sack, he could speak the truth for all we know. That picture certainly isn't a catastrophic blowup. Easy to put back together, now the reason it ended up like that might provide a few clues but I'm guessing bad ammo, not bad gun.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That picture certainly isn't a catastrophic blowup. Easy to put back together, now the reason it ended up like that might provide a few clues but I'm guessing bad ammo, not bad gun.
    The FAQ link that I just posted verifies what you're saying about bad ammo. Apparently, the grip plates are designed to pop off in the event of a ruptured case. It's an interesting and thoughtful safety feature that I wouldn't have anticipated.

Jocko needs to chime in here, but I believe the side plate that's shown blown off in the pic is a multi function device: partly designed for final assembly of the trigger bar and partly as a safety vent for just such an occurance (most likely ammo failure induced). I never trust all the BS on the internet about catastrophic failures of any good quality firearm until the truth is discovered about the ammunition involved. There are dozens of vigilante gun owners with personal vendetas against firearms makers ... usually due to user error or faulty ammunition.

...I don't mean to label the guy at the Marksman as a lieing sack, he could speak the truth for all we know. That picture certainly isn't a catastrophic blowup. Easy to put back together, now the reason it ended up like that might provide a few clues but I'm guessing bad ammo, not bad gun.
    Maybe, maybe not I'm not sure. What I am sure of is this is the second local dealer that no longer carried Kahr (I'm told), Bear Arms told me 2 days prior they had too many returns and dropped the Kahr line.

Marksman has EVERY major gun there to rent and I see no reason they would lie. In fact he went on to tell me his brother had one and liked it. I wasn't buying, I was renting and could have ordered it if not in stock. So, the guy seemed honest and I had no reason not to believe.

Looks like blown panel does occur, and its entirely possible the rental customers get a bit scared of this potential liability...just a thought. Here are other examples of talk.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...l=1#post664379
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/...t-1192731.html
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...PM9-Frame-Life
    Last edited by Verndog; 01-23-2011 at 09:44 AM.