Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 opinions needed, I may have the bug, HELP

I sold it and my SS Interarms PPK/S to the same guy with all kinds of holsters... around 10 years ago at one of our garage sales... I sold most of my guns, especially the long ones.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

10-2-1998 for $900. Still have the faded thermal FAX copy of the check.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Now my #1 son is smitten for a 1911 of his own! He's looking them all over trying to decide a lot of the same things we've already discussed here. Weather to go basic mil spec and build or get a little upgraded with a few bells and whistles.
    He has more money than me so he has a much larger pool to swim in looking.
    I pointed out the Range Officer, the MRI and the Rocks. He's semi leaning towards a stainless so if he does any changing he might not have to refinish.

Sure a lot of choices out there now days. A literal smorgasbord of 1911's to sort through.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

you have owned Para's great one, would u recommend a Para 45 to him and why and why not.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I still own 3. I've only owned the LDA's and I'd have no reservations recommending them to him, in fact if he decides to go with a LDA I may offer him one of mine. I hate to part with guns but it would still be in the house.
    I've not owned any of the Single Action Para's but I think they are pretty nice also. As tough and reliable as any of the others.
    Hes very safe and does well with the indexed finger so he should do fine with the 1911 system. The LDA would give him a little more cushion like it did for me. Have to wait and see what he really is thinking which can change from one minute to the next just like most guys gun shopping.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Anyone have any first hand experience with Taurus's version of the 1911. My son was looking at them last night and they got alot of top end features at a very reasonable price.

I've not heard any bad reports on them but lately haven't heard much either way.

He was liking the MRI but thinks he wants stainless. I pointed him at the range officer but don't see a stainless version of that either.

His wheels are turning. We have a gun show this weekend so guess we'll be looking at 1911's. Not a bad thing. Nice to go with a mission. I just have to deal with the jealousy. A kid shouldn't have more money than his dad, there should be a rule or something about that.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I don't own one, but know several people who either have one (because it worked well right out of the box) or are former owners (because theirs did NOT work right out of the box and customer support was no help).

The guys that have them still are absolutely delighted.

The guys who sold theirs or returned them (to, surprise, Cabelas!) would never take another chance.

Human nature, I guess. The Phoenix Cabelas does NOT ordinarily accept returns, but after they could not get Taurus to fix Rick's gun, they decided a happy (good) customer was better than losing his business. Smart fellas.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Thats the way Taurus was years ago. Either you got a really good one or a real junker. I thought they had become much more consistent and in the better quality level.

I don't like the sound of the poor customer service and shall duely note that part.

Guess we'll browse our local gun show this weekend and see what blows his dress up. Don't worry, I'll get pictures. Might be like a Marilyn Monroe collector photo.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

My experience with Taurus is about a year old, but I wasn't impressed. I bought a 24/7 Pro c 45 and it ran fine, still does. Then I got a PT745 which wouldn't work at all. Six weeks in Miami didn't help so I sold it. Unless they come up with a super gun that is reliable, I doubt that I'll buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Thats the way Taurus was years ago. Either you got a really good one or a real junker. I thought they had become much more consistent and in the better quality level.

I don't like the sound of the poor customer service and shall duely note that part.

Guess we'll browse our local gun show this weekend and see what blows his dress up. Don't worry, I'll get pictures. Might be like a Marilyn Monroe collector photo.
    dont forget the pumps
    shoot untill they change shape or catch fire