Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First 1911

Wow! Just got an email that Top Gun has shipped my magazines already... small flat-rate box Priority Mail. That's pretty fast!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Wow! Just got an email that Top Gun has shipped my magazines already... small flat-rate box Priority Mail. That's pretty fast!

Wynn
    Which mags did you order Wyn?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I posted that yesterday, I wondered if you were snubbing me. <sniff> But here they are... CM45-8-S-H Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine $18.95 5 $94.75
    CM45-7C-S Check-Mate .45ACP, 7RD Compact, SS - Officer's Size 1911 Magazine $16.95 1 $16.95
    CM45-8-S-RB-EXT Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine $21.95 2 $43.90 .

Basically, I got 7 8-round SS with the hybrid feed lips... 5 with flush welded base and 2 with removable polymer bases. I got one 7-round compact officers model to try with the PM45. maybe these followers will work. One of the problems is the proper spring... strength and how it pushes up the front of the follower... so many variable trying to mix things. It seems like a good idea to try these. They should get here quickly and I'll comment on them before and after testing.
    I'm trying to figure out what sights to get at Springfield Arms... not a lot of pictures and I'm not sure they can install what they have without more milling at extra expense. There's just so much you can do to these guns! I probably should have sprung for the SS Champion somewhat loaded for $800 to $950 or so, but I'm sure Wifey would have been a little more "interested" in a purchase that big. I really like the gun, but I need something I can aim with. The regular military sights on that AO that I shot were okay, but adjustable may be what I need for a range gun.
    The front sight is not very bright in the dark and I don't know how useful it would be as a night sight. I don't know its history and there's no date on them like the Trijicon. If I can get them back, I'll just send them to you. It may not be much of a "gift", though.
    I don't think the person who installed them knew what they were doing. The front sight is just too high... OR the rear sight is too low. They sure don't boresight to any of the described aiming points... 6 o'clock, center, or even 12 o'clock! Like I said, with the laser boresight on a point, the only way the sights line up is if I set the base of the sight... where it's connected to the slide, on top of the post.
    Well, I have to run and do a few errands. I need to get a card for my daughters 36th birthday and send her some money. I know she can use the money.
    I have 8 officers' size 6 and 7 round magazines... well, one is that Brolin Arms... for whatever that fits... like 6-rounder size, but holds 7... officer's 6 round. Oh, one of those is a 7-rd regular with the Wilson kit making it an 8-rounder. That's the only other mag that fits the 1911.
    Well, toodles for now.

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Sorry Wyn, I looked back and see that somehow those two post about the mags you made got by me. I honestly didn't see them.

I would certainly have persuaded you to go with the Wilson. It's weird though another fella here said his officer size wilsons worked in his PM45, I tried my officer size wilsons in mine and they didn't work. But my full size 47D's all work perfectly. Same exact follower, (plastic, that you will never wear out). Only a shorter body and no doubt corresponding shorter spring.

I've not bothered to mix and match followers and I haven't even taken them apart to compare between the two sizes but outside they are identical.

One of lifes mysteries for sure.

Those sights can be a nightmare to figure out as you say too. With all the various dovetail cuts (really not that many) but trying to figure out which one you have is a challenge. Hopefully you can get some help figuring that out. There are some nice adjustables, I have adjustable XS's on my full size Para LDA Double stack. The down fall is they are more money, bulkier, and once you get them set you generally never adjust them again although I guess it's a good option to be able to with different loads etc.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Talking ----------------------

congratulations on your 1911 Wyn,God bless John Moses Browning

Thanks, Swampman. I kind of want the adjustable sights to be able to adjust for goofs like this.
    It's interesting that all of my autos have the Browning locked-breech, but the three .45's are very different. My 645 is too big and I HATE the ambi-safety/decocker on the SLIDE.

The Champion 4" is a nice size, not light but more compact. If I can figure out the sights at Springfield, I'll go with them. I'll have to discuss it with someone there, though. Oh, it has a bull barrel with an integral feed ramp and no bushing... different from the full-sized ones.

Bawanna', those Check-Mate magazines sound and look very promising. I read quite a bit about them and the people who've tried them like them. We'll know more in a few days. I haven't checked to see where Top Gun is but Priority Mail shouldn't take more than 2-3 days. I sure hope those work with the PM45 and actuate the slide lock on empty.

I would have gotten the 8-round SS mags with the two-sized rubber bumper pads, but they were out. I only got two with the small pads and the rest flat, welded bases... cheaper by a few dollars each.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Hey Wynn. I found a couple of 3rd gen S&W's, but both are 40 cal - no 45 at present, but he has a bid in on some. One is a 4043. I like the SS slide and alloy frame on this one, but it has that DAO trigger I didn't care for on the stolen 4586. The other is a 4006 TSW which is all SS and 10 oz heavier, but has the DA/SA trigger and would be newer. He says he has some clean ones in both guns, so I wouldn't have to work as hard as I did on the 4586. Both will have working night sights and two eleven round mags. Do you have any info on these two models? I'm leaning toward the newer 4006, but haven't definitely decided.

Sorry, sure don't. I've never had or fired a .40 and I forgot to try the DA on my 645 the other day just for comparison. All steel is heavy for sure. That's why I marvel at my PM45.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Wyntrout,
    Those Checkmate 7 rd mags. will fit the pm45 but they are long and stick out the bottom. Thats what came with my D.W. CCO. I tried them for fit in my pm45 but didn't actually fire it.

When I get a chance, maybe tomorrow, I'll post some pix and info on my research. After reading about these Check-Mate mags, I ordered a bunch of them early Monday morning from Top Gun. They just came in USPS Priority... $9.95 for the whole order of 8 magazines. I got one Officer's model 7-shot SS with welded base to try in my PM45. It fits and seems like the best fit to actuate the slide stop. A trip to the range to test that during use, is necessary, though. I have great hopes for this brand. If it works as I hope, I'll use that "emergency repair" silicone tape to build up the gap between the grip and the base, and this may become my carry setup... 7+1.
    These IMPROVED hybrid lips and new patented follower, with front skirt and adequate or ample metal to actuate the slide lock, may just be what we were looking for... especially in the follower... and its matching stronger spring, which I think is the weak link with earlier testing of other mags and springs. The Check-Mate mags are a matched set of new improvements, so I expect them to work well. They insert, lock, and fall freely! Actual range use will tell, though.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and