CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manually Racking The First Round

Default Manually Racking The First Round

I’m new to Kahr pistols but cannot understand what the big deal is about manually racking the first round into the chamber. If it’s done correctly there should be no issue. Pull the slide all the way to the rear then let go of the slide. The forward speed and force of the slide should be the same as using the slide release. I have both the CW40 and PM9 and have not had any problems. Yes there could be an issue if you ride the slide as you would with many other auto’s. Just an old man’s observation.

I've had both success and failure when manually racking the first round. Not sure if I was riding the slide or not. I'll manually rack at the range now but not after loading it up at home after cleaning. First shot at range not firing is not a big deal, first shot in a "holy sh*T" situation is.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

If you carry with one in the chamber, the slide racking, while annoying at times, isn't an issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AFVet View Post
    If you carry with one in the chamber, the slide racking, while annoying at times, isn't an issue at all.
    exactly!! Who is gonna remember to rack the slide in a situation. Are you gonna have both hands and arms to do so?? You will also be showing your gun for maybe 3 seconds before even pointing it. The racking (step 1) should be done before you leave the house. Your gonna need those 3 seconds in a situation. I thought I was the only one up on a Saturday morning. Everybody else must have to go to work too!

old salt, ur partially right. but kahrs are harder to manually rack than my G19 is by 5 to one. When I got my P380 at first I could not manually rack that slide with any reliability what so ever. And i think I know how to manually rack, but it was evident that the gun and I did not see eye to eye. Now after over 1200 rounds the gun and I can manually rack with ease. I do think the gun smoothed out alot itself also and I think I also got better at doing it. My PM9 at first was difficult for me but nothing like my P380 was. I could manually rack my lcp and kel tecs with ease. One should at least practice the tap, rack and bang drill , but if one carrys with one in the pipe, he should be Ok as after that the gun will lock open anyhow. No doubt improper racking on kahrs is due to riding the slide as I think kahrs are tight and they are not as forgiving as like my g19 is.

I think that is why kahr stresses in the manual to use the slide lock lever to load that first round. same velocity every time and if it won't load by using the slide lock lever chances are very good hand racking will be no better...

Factory G19 springs are 18#, Factory PM9 spirngs are 18#is there a difference in hand racking either gun. ABSOLUTELY. the glocks are so so much easier..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by AFVet View Post
    You are 100% correct, as I always carry +1. For carry, I insert a loaded magazine, rack the slide, remove magazine and replace the round. At the range I insert a loaded magazine, rack the slide and begin shooting. And again you are corret, it's no issue.

And again you are corret, it's no issue. The only issue would be if you did not!!. I think everyone who carries should also take the advanced CCW classes to learn more about the tactical side. What to do in a situation if confronted etc,etc.

If it’s done correctly there should be no issue.
    I agree, but it contains the big "IF" factor. Some folks miss on the issue. The small size of the gun and the heavy springs make normal racking more difficult for a portion of users IMHO. Otherwise... the gun functions fine so long as it's done properly.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I have racked the slide and loaded my CW9 as per Kahr directions. I get probably 75 to 80 % rate on the racking method and 100% on the kahr method. The difference is that if the first round isn't solidly up against the mag lips, the round will nose dive and hang up the process. Take your mag out and reinsert it a couple of times and see what happens.
    I don't know what the big deal is with the kahr method is in the first place. I load my 1911 like that all the time and it is never an issue.

The first time you are in a bind and need your pistol, when you rack it and it hangs up, you'll never use that method again! To each his own.

I think some here may be missing a very important point on reason for needing the "sling shot" method. If for some reason you experience a malfunction during live fire... dud round, hard primer, weak round causing stovepipe, etc.... you will not want to spend the extra time doing the "Kahr Method". Clearing malfunctions during a possible active shooting scenerio is by far the most prominant "anti-Kahr" issue you'll find on the internet. Just the fact that Kahr makes it clear in the owner's manual that their way is the best way to charge their weapons tends to add fuel to the anti-Kahr fire. Fortunately, I have never had a problem charging my CW9 the same as I do every other semi-auto pistol. In a real situation, under ideal conditions of perfect ammunition and no other possible malfunctions, having the gun properly loaded for carry is a must to begin with.... then, if the first magazine runs dry and you reach slide lock, the "Kahr method would be most preferable to execute. I never trust "Mr. Murphy" to stay out of the details though.

surv