CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manually Racking The First Round

for carry: with the slide locked back i drop a round into chamber then release the slide by racking, then insert a fully loaded mag. never have had an issue and use this method at the range too.
    anyone else notice when you slowly un-chamber an unfired round without a mag the round drops down the mag chute? i like that better than having it flip out across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
    You are 100% correct, as I always carry +1. For carry, I insert a loaded magazine, rack the slide, remove magazine and replace the round. At the range I insert a loaded magazine, rack the slide and begin shooting. And again you are corret, it's no issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFVet View Post
    If you carry with one in the chamber, the slide racking, while annoying at times, isn't an issue at all.
    I agree, never understood why people make a big deal about this is not like you need to rack the slide often when you carry one in the chamber.
    Why is it that every time there is a shooting spree they want to take the guns away from the people that didn't do it? :59:

At the range, if you drop the mag and fire a round, the shell falls down the magazine well, too... and if you aren't thinking and catch it, you won't hold it long... HOT!

A few times I had malfunctions with my PM45... failure to go fully into battery. I dropped the mag and got the round chambered and then fired it. The first time I felt the shell fall through the mag well and caught it, but quickly let it go as it's very hot. The next time I started to catch it, but remembered and let it go.
    To clear loaded rounds, I turn the gun on its side to let gravity help it out the ejection port. I do that when I'm cycling snap caps, too. Otherwise, you can wind up with the round staying in the gun and jamming.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    for carry: with the slide locked back i drop a round into chamber then release the slide by racking, then insert a fully loaded mag. never have had an issue and use this method at the range too.
    anyone else notice when you slowly un-chamber an unfired round without a mag the round drops down the mag chute? i like that better than having it flip out across the room.

forcing the extractor over a chambered round is asking for extractor problems in the future. The rounds being chambered from the magazine slide vertically up the breach face, sliding into the extractor via the casing groove. Forcing the extractor to bend outwards (and also damaging the brass rim of the casing) will eventually lead to unwanted problems.

You might consider loading from the top of the magazine and then topping it off with the top round.

Just a suggestion

surv

what surv stated is definitely the rule of the day. Ur only asking for issues the other way. One sure never reads about thsi method as being the way to go. Must be a reason for that..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

+2 about loading from the magazine.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

The manual definitely says not to chamber a round like that. It will damage the extractor. Only load from a magazine. Top off the magazine and make sure the rounds are to the rear, especially in the 9mm's. When you chamber a round, the next round is pulled forward and can dive when it's cycled forward. You get at least two good shots... maybe.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

+3 loading from the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by cgo99 View Post
    I agree, never understood why people make a big deal about this is not like you need to rack the slide often when you carry one in the chamber.
    Being an ex gun dealer, you will be surprised at how many people carry a Kahr pistol (or any other pistol) with an empty chamber. Why would anyone ever do such a thing is beyond me. I can only surmise they do not have very much knowledge of guns (certainly no knowledge of the Kahr pistol) or have had any tactical training. I spoke to a guy once about this and could not convince him that he was putting himself at risk by carrying with an empty chamber. I think I posted a thread on this a while back getting folks opinions about this. Carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is like going to a gunfight with a knife!

For the beginner who just purchased the Kahr I would want to do it per the manual but yes you should TRY and get use to the feel of racking the slide that way you will no what it takes to do it properly. To each his own. Whatever feels best to you do it.