Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA Rule

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default IDPA Rule

I was speaking to a very experienced and advanced IDPA competitor and friend of mine who is training me for IDPA. This week I mentioned to him that I was thinking about porting my relatively new PM40 sometime down the road, but wanted to keep my warranty intact until I was assured that everything was hunkydory with it. Please Note: This information is NOT in any way directed against porting nor against nor toward those that prefer to port their handguns. It is not in any way submitted to stimulate any argument. I happen to think that porting could serve useful purposes and like I stated I was considering porting my PM40. However, I want to compete with the gun I carry and my friend directed me to the IDPA rules. I am respectfully submitting this information for constructive purposes and not intending to insult anyone. Should anyone be considering to use a ported handgun for IDPA...FYI:

"SSP Division: Double Action, Double Action Only, or Safe Action and be of 9mm or larger caliber, readily availabe on dealer shelves, have an annual production run of 2000 units, and pistol with magazine must fit in a box measuring 8-3/4" x 6" x 1-5/8".

No external modifications other than sights and grips will be permitted.
    Non-Inclusive list of EXCLUDED modifications: lists "porting of barrels (factory or aftermarket)"
    Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) also lists as an EXCLUSION the porting of barrels and Compensators.
    Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP) also lists the same Exclusion of Ported barrels and compensators.

Specifically excluded in all divisions as stated on page 15 is "compensators of any type including hybrid or ported barrels, ..."
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Interesting, wonder why they dis-allow ported barrels. Only reason I can think of is some one, some where was stupid, or overly obnoxious. That's the usual culprit for things like that. I'll see what I can find.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I am not sure what the reason is that they don't allow ported barrels in a class jlottmc. ???? When I read the rules for myself it said that the board or directors, whatever authority who decide the rules, belabored the discussion on ported barrels and decided that there was no intention to ever allow ported barrels into a class.

My personal opinion is that having a ported barrel for CCW has become more and more of a desireable advantage. I don't have one yet, but I probably will find some way around this. In fact, I am considering porting it (eventually) and purchasing a second barrel for IDPA competition. In this way, I can do a first hand comparison between the advantages of ported and unported. I know that I can still shoot the ported barrel, but my score will not qualify. I'd be in a class all by myself. In this way, I would have my score with and without ported barrel. Interesting comparison. If I find the ported barrel reduces my time and improves my score, all the better for CCW. If I shoot for score without the ported barrel, all the more practice for when I carry with a ported barrel. At least in theory, it would seem to work this way. However, I don't know if having the slide ported will automatically disqualify my scores. I need to look into this.

The IDPA has recommended allowing a class for CTL's, but no movement yet. I doubt if this will happen. I may need to remove my CTL to compete. Or they may accept me shooting with electrical tape over the CTL.

IDPA is a new game for me. There are real gamers in the IDPA. Some shoot with what they carry. Others have special equipment to get better scores with guns they would normally not carry. However, It is all great practice for gun handling.

Again, I am not intending to create an argument or take a position for nor against IDPA, porting, or CTL's. Just a discussion on the IDPA rules relative to some CCW modifications and equipment.

Just my thoughts.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I see more and more pistols getting ported, I have to wonder what IDPA has against them. I forgot to ask earlier, I also don't see why covering the laser would be a problem, then again, I haven't played gun games like that in several years.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

IDPA official sanctioned shoots are strict. I checked with the president of a local gun club and he said he was not certain, but he saw no reason why I could not shoot my pm40 with the CTL covered. However, he said that he does not run the IDPA shoots and I would need to check at the time I registered. I will learn alot more this year when I start shooting. Like any sport, each has it's own crazy rules and when we really get involved, we begin to learn the whys. We may agree with some things and not agree with others. Additionally, people (in general) are slow to change. I remember in the archery industry, the die hard tradional recurve and long bow shooters wanted nothing to do with compounds. Some of the traditional archers still, to this day, stay with the older style equipment. The same is probably true with the IDPA group who have a hard time changing. I try to be open to new ideas, but sometimes it is hard for me too. We all have a little bit of that in us, one way or another. I hope to learn more about the porting issue as well as other quirky IDPA rules. If you go to their site and read their forum stuff, there are tons of issues regarding the rules (holsters, mag holders, sights, weight, etc...).
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Default proabably

Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post
    I see more and more pistols getting ported, I have to wonder what IDPA has against them. I forgot to ask earlier, I also don't see why covering the laser would be a problem, then again, I haven't played gun games like that in several years.
    simpler to keep it simple to. If a person is dead serious about this IDPA stuff, he will abide by their rules and more than likely have the gun that causes no rules violations. if they don't want to allow anyone on their range to shoot their course, EVEN FOR FUN AND NOT COMPETITION, then to me it is their monetary loss and I just don't know of to many gun ranges that are just dead nuts PROFITABLE.

to me would just be so easy to charge what ever they charge with the understanding that if you have anything illegal on there, u will not be competiting but just shooting the course and for that sir, please pay $35 in advance and shoot away and enjoy. #1 If I liked it that much I might come back next time with my firends and maybe the right gun to have alittle competition. But piss me off and I won't come back and I certanly will tell my friends about it. Course what makes sense to me certainly doeksn't to some either. U know once they put my $35 in the register drawer, they can't tell it any different from a registered IDPA shooters $35..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yea, that is very true Jocko. I know they will allow me to shoot with ported barrel and CTL, but not in a designated class for a score....at least that is what I am led to believe in my "fetal stage" of this game. I don't know a whole lot about it yet. I don't even know if they will keep my score if I do not qualify for it. I am hoping that I can shoot without ported to compete for score, but then shoot without ported to compare my score and times (even if the score does not qualify for the competion). I am hoping to progress with my CCW ability. I would think practice during competition without the ported barrel would help me shoot better when I put in that ported barrel, but I may learn something different. It would be interesting to me, to see if I could get even better when I use the ported barrel...at least it makes sense in theory. (Likewise, I could compare ballistics between the two barrels...just for the info.) Anyway, I still need to find out if they will not allow me to compete for score/time just because the slide is ported and the barrel is not. If I get the slide AND barrel ported (obviously necessary to do both), then there is no turning back and I could not use that gun for score. I don't know the answer to this, nor do I know what they will do with my CTL (remove it or tape it). Either way, I have been to IDPA to observe and I am certain that the competion and training will greatly improve my shooting skills with my CCW. It is ALOT of fun too. They do have a BUG shoot now and again. My primary interest in all of this is to have fun and improve my CCW. The IDPA guys locally are really VERY helpful. Their goal is clearly to have a growing interest in their sport. But I can see via reading the info on their site and forums, the IDPA does have their rule quirks, just like any sport does. I just need to learn what goes and what does not go. Any IDPA guys that can chime in here to help add some good info for the discussion????? THANKS.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

A very important basis of IDPA rules was to make it more affordable for the "average" shooter. Also they wanted to get rid of the "equipment race/gamesmanship" of the other shooting disciplines.

IPSC had become an unrealistic and barely recognizable game that had less and less bearing on reality as time went on. IDPA was an attempt to return to the roots of defensive shooting competition.

For instance the Steel Challenge has NO bearing on any defensive use of a F/A This is not meant as in insult to the discipline but a factual observation.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

That all makes sense Longitude Zero and thanks for your input. I hope to learn more about IDPA this year. I have learned that there are two distinct groups in IDPA: Those that use what they carry and the other group being the gamers who do make equipment adjustments for score. It is a fine line and just like in any sport it seems like human nature to push the rules. I feel that IDPA is excellent practice and training. Guys are very helpful and it is alot of fun. I am looking forward to getting started this year. I enjoy the competition and camraderie. thanks.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

garyb I am glad I was able to help. If you want competition with mandated stock equipment give the GSSF a try. I have really enjoyed that type of competition.

The gamers are there but in their own narrowly defined groupings.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up