Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a new p45 owner

Default a new p45 owner

while contemplating between a cw45 and a p45 one of the owners looked at the tag on the p45 a said "hold on, i'll be right back". he checked his records and the p45, apparently, had been on the shelf of quite a while. to make the choice easier he knocked $100 off of the p45 on the spot! so, for only $50 more than the cw45 i put the handgun on layway. fastforward a month. i now have just picked it up. i field stripped it then inspected and cleaned the parts. after reassembly i tried it out. only a few minor problems to report:

out of 50 rounds i had two failure to failures to feed, both on the last round and both from the same magazine. also, i had 3 false batteries. when inserting a loaded mag it would trip the slide release before the slide was in position resulting in no round being chambered. at first i thought it was a FTF. click,but, no bang. i checked the mag and it was still full. then i checked the chamber to make sure no round was loaded. reinserted the mag, released the and all was well. one time it did fail to go into battery. the slide stopped 1/4" short on the last round of a mag. after a minute of examination (mindful of the live round in the chamber) i tapped the slide back into battery and the round fired properly. again, this has happened only once. aside from the teething pains the gun is a pleasure to shoot. i was expecting more bark for a lightweight 45. 50 rounds in one session and no soreness or discomfort. the cherckering never bothered me as i work in a paper mill and have tough palms from handling paper all day.

Most kahr's need a 200-300 round break-in period before they start functioning well. Clean and lube after every trip to the range and it should serve you well. I've had my eye on a CW45 for a few weeks now, but most likely I will wait till after the holidays to get it. Congrats on yours and good luck with it.

I have the P45 about a month now. I paid $399.99 for it used and put about 150 round through it. It's a great gun.

My CW45 had a few malfunctions in the first 100 rounds. After about 250-300 it smoothed out and nary a problem since then. Kahr's very definitely require a break in period.

madwill. just more rounds down range and most of that report will just fade away. The gun needs some break in or some mating of parts. Break it in with fmj ammo to get it reliable, keep the rails greased and if u can just sit there and rack the slide about 500 times, this helps break in without the bang thing. Check the feed ramp to see if it looks polished or could use a polishing. Very easy to do and sure helps feed issues. Nice gun, be patient with it and it will all come to you..

thank you for the advice, guys
    i'm not complaining really. i've researched the kahrs. i had an idea of what i was buying. aside from the few feed problems the firing and ejection have been fine. also, i love how it handles when fired. i thought i was firing a 9mm. the recoil was far less than i thought a 20oz 45acp would be.

Default 100 round mark update

i just put another 50 down range today. the gun has one quirk: a hairtrigger slide release. putting in a loaded mag too hard trips the slide release and closes the slide before it will chamber a round. aside from that it works great! no FTF or FTE. i just have to remember to keep my thumb on the slide release when reloading.....

Default both

Quote Originally Posted by madwill View Post
    i just put another 50 down range today. the gun has one quirk: a hairtrigger slide release. putting in a loaded mag too hard trips the slide release and closes the slide before it will chamber a round. aside from that it works great! no FTF or FTE. i just have to remember to keep my thumb on the slide release when reloading.....
    of my kahrs (PM9 and K9) will release if I slam the magazne in loaded. If I insert more slowly, it is OK, eithe rway is OK for me. Some love the slide going forward upon slamming a magazine in. (kid of a tactical reload). My g19 will also release if I slam it home, ...

That also might even shoot itself out of that little quirk to as things break and mate in better to.

Just keep rounds going down range and u should love that 45....

actually the thumb on the slide release when reloading is not a bad idea either...

Default 200 round mark

well, the p45 has passed the 200 rounds mark. it's a great handgun. all but one of the problems have gone away: the hair trigger slide release when loading a full magazine. anyone have any suggestions?

Default PM

Quote Originally Posted by madwill View Post
    well, the p45 has passed the 200 rounds mark. it's a great handgun. all but one of the problems have gone away: the hair trigger slide release when loading a full magazine. anyone have any suggestions?
    PM sent...