Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well O'Dell you are not alone

Bawanna, wasn't that the same thing when seatbelts came out? Nobody wanted them but the law said you had to use them anyway. I admit they are a good thing but I wonder how anyone over 45 is still alive these days from being kids riding in cars with no seatbelts. Didn't have baby restraint seats either. As I remember, didn't they actually put real metal in car bodies back then too????

Lets see, something nobody wants but we need a law to require they have one................ Bet Obummer is working on that one.

Yup, I rode all the way from the great state of Missouri, (thats Missouri, not Misery) to Washington riding on the rear window shelf of a 57 Chevy 4 door.
    No car seat, no belts. Probably slept in a crib coated in lead based paint. It's a gosh darn miracle any of us survived.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Dang! I can remember riding in my aunts car... in the rumple seat... or the rumble seat... whatever! It was kind of like a seat in the trunk that the lid popped from the front to the back, but with with seats.. no roof or seat belts. Two of us sat back there. It might have been a coupe... 40's vintage, at least.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Dang! I can remember riding in my aunts car... in the rumple seat... or the rumble seat... whatever! It was kind of like a seat in the trunk that the lid popped from the front to the back, but with with seats.. no roof or seat belts. Two of us sat back there. It might have been a coupe... 40's vintage, at least.

Wynn
    Was this self propelled or drawn by horses or mules? I know my Missouri upbringing gave me a deep love for a good mule.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hey! That was a real car, though I haven't a clue what it was. The earliest one that I can remember my family having was a '49 Pontiac, I think.

It was rumble seat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_seat

there's a bunch of photos here:

http://www.google.com/images?q=rumbl...w=1372&bih=690

There are some funnier names for it. The safety nuts would have died if they had seen kids riding in those seats!

I think the kids loved riding back there... unless it was raining.

Dang! Bad case of thread drift!

Mea culpa.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

oh my for the memories,
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I hate looking at a bunch of old pictures we have with the neat old cars. They got all these old people standing in front of the car and you can't see the car very well. They didn't even bother to wash it. Didn't need color pictures cause everyone was wearing black and white anyhow and the car was always black, only option.

Sure be nice to have some of those babies in the garage now days huh.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

henry ford many years ago said he would paint his model T's any color you wanted as long as it was BLACK..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yes it is amazing that any of us survived...I think I'll start another thread on things we did as kids for fun and some how lived to tell about....Two memories I have are riding with my mother, father, both grand parents and 4 or five kids in the back seat of papaw's 59 Ford Fairlane going on trips...Every adult in the car chain smoked the whole way (probably why I have never smoked) No one rolled down a window or even knew what second hand smoke was, heck it was more smoke for everyone and the car from the outside must have looked like Cheech and Chong's car in the movie "Up in Smoke" like a cloud or something in there...Now today that would be child abuse but back then it was normal......Another great memory was from a bit later, I lived with my Grandmother after my parents died and in 1966 she wanted to get a new car so we looked at several station wagons and other boring cars until we went to a Dodge dealer and I got her to looking at a brand spanking new 66 Charger which had this huge rear window and a ginormus motor that had my 13 year old brain thinking of red hot chicks and long smokey burnouts...Well some how I talked her into buying that monster and that summer she and I drove to Daytona Fl with me riding on the package tray under that giant rear glass working on my tan...She even let me drive it on the beach with her seat leaned all the way back so everybody would think it was my ride...I had that AM radio cranked way up and my arm draped over the wheel, shades on looking mean...For that one day I got to be Studly Studman......I wish I had that car today but she traded it for a Rambler because she couldnt see out of that way cool back glass....

66 Chargers were cool but my dad had a 64 Pontiac Grand Prix. That old car would run!!! It's a wonder the black interior and cigarette smoke didn't kill us all. You never rolled down a window because you would let the smoke out and mom didn't want her hairdo to blow.

Ohhhh.... those were the days, and we lived inspite of it.