Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum and Kahr, MK9 or PM9?

Default New to the forum and Kahr, MK9 or PM9?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 9mm Kahr pistol for CC. MK is steel and the weight will control some recoil, While the PM would be lighter to carry. Right now, I holster carry a Ruger SP101, or a Colt Defender. Pm might be nice to "pocket carry", while the MK might be too heavy for that. I'm open to suggestions at this point. Do you feel the MK might be more durable? I've had two Glocks before, so poly is not new to me. Thanks in advance.

chivvalry Guest

Wow... you're in the People's Republic of New Jersey and you can carry? You must have friends in high places. ;-)

I have not fired an MK but even with heavy SD loads my PM9 is easy to shoot and very accurate. I don't find the recoil a problem at all and personally would rather have the lighter poly frame. I have and occasionally carry a Glock 19 as well and the extra weight of that gun is a little annoying (though the real annoyance is the extra thickness). The PM9 completely disappears on my waist in a crossbreed supertuck where the G19 just fades into the background.

I can't speak directly to durability but I have heard good things about the ruggedness of the Kahr poly frames.

Both are excellent guns. Your are correct in that the MK would be heavy for pocket carry but excellent for belt carry. I like an all steel gun immensely but if both are sitting on the hall way table the PM will leave the house with you anytime you want light and handy.

Disclaimer- the hall way table is only a safe storage area if it has a 1000# pound safe bolted, glued and with angry rottweiler guarding it.

Maybe get the PM9 now and a K9 later? As a belt gun the K isn't much different than the MK size or weight wise but a little improvement in grip area.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If you are going to try to pocket carry, the PM would probably be better. I don't, so I went right past the MK9 to the K9 (1/2" or so difference in grip and bbl). It's my favorite Kahr. It's with me every day. Have it on right now under a golf shirt and is completely hidden. I have owned PM9s and I don't think durability is an issue. You might wear a PM9 out in a couple generations and you might never wear out a MK9. Not an issue. I prefer steel but must admit the PM9 is one fine handgun. I thought the PM9 was a little large for pocket carry. I don't wear baggy clothes. It seemed to me about the same in the pocket as a S&W J frame. Just handle both if you can and make your own decision. Both are fine handguns.
    p.s. Recoil is not a problem with either.

pm for pocket carry

u won't shoot out a poly frame. glock has proven that. Kahrs are no different. People tend to worry aobut rund count when 99.995% willnoever shoot even 5000 rounds out of one peace. If you like the gun, just shoot the fokker like u stole it, if it breaks a part but the new part and insert it and the fokker again like u stole it. You wo't ever shoot out a kahr, certainly in all the years of owning guns and reading all I can about guns, I just never read of a gun that is worn out. they are not like jeans that after awhile, the material just goes to hell. Peope wear out to, just ask me!!! I certainly am not as good as I once was but I am good once as I once was...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Hi,

Won't the poly frame flexing "control" some of the recoil? How about the hollow back strap of the PM9 maybe that also helps to diminish felt recoil. In spite of the difference in weight might it be possible for the felt recoil to be less with the PM9 than with the MK?

Bill K.

i DIDN'T KNOW a POLY frame "flexed"
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I imagine it does in a miniscule way, not like a wet noodle that escaped from the soup bowl or anything, least ways I hope not anyhow.

Rubber grips will often times soak up a far amount of recoil, I don't think the PM9 has any forgiveness in the grip density at all. It benefits from a inner tube or rubber grip immensely.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Welcome to the forum Dueeast!
    The range master told me during breaking in of my CW40 that the poly frame does have some flex to it, which helped explain why I never had problems with metal framed semi's but the CW40 was causing some problems. A minor change in grip with my wrist more in line with the pistol seemed to cure the issues I was having.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.