Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PM9 Locked Slide Problem -- pics of why

Default PM9 Locked Slide Problem -- pics of why

After two trips to the range with my new PM9, I started to run some PD ammo through it. The Rem Green Box 115 ball ammo ran flawlessly. The PD round had some problems...e.g., they occassionally caused the slide lock to engage with a partially empty/full mag. Here is the reason. First pic is the Rem 115 ball. Second pic is the Rem 124gr HP Golden Sabre. See how there is plenty of clearance between the ogive of the 115 ball round and the slide lock...then see how there is no clearance between the ogive of the 124 HP Golden Sabre.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wouldn't you think they could figure this out at the factory!?

They know, the problem is that they seem to be too arrogant to fix the problem.

You can hone or file a bit off the actuator, but the 9mm cartridges are pulled forward by the top round as they are loaded and will still strike it... probably, requiring more tinkering.

Remington seems to make the longest overall cartridges.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    You can hone or file a bit off the actuator, but the 9mm cartridges are pulled forward by the top round as they are loaded and will still strike it... probably, requiring more tinkering.

Remington seems to make the longest overall cartridges.

Wynn
    Yup. And what pizzes me off is that Kahr refuses to acknowledge this problem. My P380 does the exact same thing, only w/ the even thinner P380 wrapped around a cartridge w/ almost the same dimensions, the fit is even tighter and there's even less room to file the lever without going too far and then not having the mag follower actuate it as it's supposed to.

Anyone want to bet that the CM9 will have the exact same issue? :31:

I had that problem with the P380 and finally gave up and sent it back with my PM45 that had the replacement slide that was so faint you had to hold it in the light just right to see what the heck kind of gun it was. The P380 came back working fine. The PM45 had to go back a 4th time to get a new frame because it had started eating/destroying magazines! 5 out of 6 had the upper rear corners splitting and they were evidently able to duplicate that and wound up giving me a new frame. I'm not sure there's an original part left on the gun... "Franken-Boomer". It works fine now and they gave me all new magazines, but I've gotten so used to the P380, it's hard to carry something heavier.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Newb here with a question/comment, my new PM9 ran flawless for over 350 rounds using Winchester white box. I felt more than comfortable switching over to some SD rounds for testing (hoping to give it the all clear for daily carry). Each magazine had this slide lock occur at least once. I was testing with Winchester Ranger RA9BA (bonded) and RA9TA. I switched to Federal HST FC-9HST1 and did not have an issue.

I had never had such an issue and at the range I had mis-diagnosed the issue as a failure to feed but after reading this I believe the pistol was going into slide lock. I'll take a closer look tonight.

Does anyone have a list of SD ammo that this does and doesn't happen with in the Kahr?

Kahrs are not generally finicky about their diet. Your slide lock might just need a little tweeking to handle those Winchesters.
    In that respect I guess each would be different. Some will feed the Winchester well, others might need a little tweek.
    I'd work at making it take anything on the menu myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Kahrs are not generally finicky about their diet. Your slide lock might just need a little tweeking to handle those Winchesters.
    In that respect I guess each would be different. Some will feed the Winchester well, others might need a little tweek.
    I'd work at making it take anything on the menu myself.
    I'm up for tweeking...can you point me in the right direction on what/how?

Default Pm9 locked slide problem

i am new here too, i hear people say this company knows about this problem but won't do any thing about it. i have also experienced this same problem. this is a firearm made specifically for concealed carry and you can not trust it to go bang. i had hoped they had been making these long enough to work out the problems but i guess not. the only semi auto pistols i have never had any issue with shoot and cycle every kind of ammo are my springfield armory sub compact 9mm and 40 s&w. also my ruger lc9 at this point only about 400 rounds through it. i fear i have wasted my money on this overrated firearm.