I wanted to give a plug to the Magnum Research (MR) rimfire rifles because I don't see a lot of talk about them online and I think they are really good rifles. Any discussion I have found is always positive. They are based on the Ruger 10/22 platform and can use most if not all of the aftermarket parts available for the 10/22. The .22LR verisons with Hogue stocks seem to sell for about $550 new. For that price you get a really nice carbon fiber barrel and a receiver with a scope rail machined into it.

My one complaint of the rifle is that it comes with a Ruger OEM trigger group. I don't know why MR doesn't include a better unit. You can order one reworked by them for only $85 and it's really nice. If they included that reworkded group from the factory I think they'd sell a lot more of these.

I acquired this specimen at the really good price of $400 new. It came with a Hogue stock. I upgraded to a laminate wood stock, Volquartsen trigger group and replaced other small parts with ones I prefer. The only part that had to be replaced was the extractor.

The gun ran flawlessly for about 1000 rounds then started stovepiping constantly. After a lot of troubleshooting I determined it to be the extractor. I replaced it with a Volquartsen unit for $10 and it runs flawlessly once again. If you ever do buy one of these rifles, do yourself a favor and replace the extractor immediately with one from an aftermarket maker. They're not expensive and it literally takes less than five minutes to replace.

All told I have about $1100 invested in this rifle as shown, including the Leupold scope. Someday I may get around to completing my full review of the gun here.

You can see other photos here in the "Firearms" album.

With Volquartsen trigger group

With Tactical Innovations charging handle
I don't really like the MR cylindrical unit

I get excellent groups when shooting prone with a bipod

This is probably the best 5-round group I've gotten with it