Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Magnum Research Rimfire Rifles

Default Magnum Research Rimfire Rifles

I wanted to give a plug to the Magnum Research (MR) rimfire rifles because I don't see a lot of talk about them online and I think they are really good rifles. Any discussion I have found is always positive. They are based on the Ruger 10/22 platform and can use most if not all of the aftermarket parts available for the 10/22. The .22LR verisons with Hogue stocks seem to sell for about $550 new. For that price you get a really nice carbon fiber barrel and a receiver with a scope rail machined into it.

My one complaint of the rifle is that it comes with a Ruger OEM trigger group. I don't know why MR doesn't include a better unit. You can order one reworked by them for only $85 and it's really nice. If they included that reworkded group from the factory I think they'd sell a lot more of these.

I acquired this specimen at the really good price of $400 new. It came with a Hogue stock. I upgraded to a laminate wood stock, Volquartsen trigger group and replaced other small parts with ones I prefer. The only part that had to be replaced was the extractor.

The gun ran flawlessly for about 1000 rounds then started stovepiping constantly. After a lot of troubleshooting I determined it to be the extractor. I replaced it with a Volquartsen unit for $10 and it runs flawlessly once again. If you ever do buy one of these rifles, do yourself a favor and replace the extractor immediately with one from an aftermarket maker. They're not expensive and it literally takes less than five minutes to replace.

All told I have about $1100 invested in this rifle as shown, including the Leupold scope. Someday I may get around to completing my full review of the gun here.

You can see other photos here in the "Firearms" album.

With Volquartsen trigger group

With Tactical Innovations charging handle
    I don't really like the MR cylindrical unit

I get excellent groups when shooting prone with a bipod

This is probably the best 5-round group I've gotten with it

Wow your good dude, you took a picture with your camera in the picture. That's like wicked quick.

Great pictures once again. I dig that knife, know I've seen one similar but can't make out the maker. Looks all business. Very cool.

Love the trigger and charging handle you added also. Very nice.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I also just looked at one of those rifles in 22 magnum caliber.....very immpressive and light. However for the price I am leaning towards the Savage 22 magnum that already comes with good trigger and nice laminate stock with thumb hole, Model: 93 BTVS, for considerably less money.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I also just looked at one of those rifles in 22 magnum caliber.....very immpressive and light. However for the price I am leaning towards the Savage 22 magnum that already comes with good trigger and nice laminate stock with thumb hole, Model: 93 BTVS, for considerably less money.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
    Yeah the .22WMR versions sell for a little more. I'm not sure I'd buy it in anything but .22LR but for the price I paid for this rifle new I couldn't pass it up. Even with the Ruger OEM trigger these rifles are very accurate, plenty accurate for hunting. I didn't change the trigger until about 1000 rounds and I never had any complaints. I just wanted to see what the rifle could really do.

Lots of people do their own work on the Ruger triggers with success and there are drop-in kits available for $75 or less that use the original trigger housing and supposedly work very well.

Well I buckled under and bought one at a great price. What trigger did you change to? I am thinking the Kid single stage trigger.

http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/inde...=index&cPath=5
    "Life Member NRA"

Well I buckled under and bought one at a great price. What trigger did you change to? I am thinking the Kid single stage trigger.

http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/inde...=index&cPath=5
    I ended up keeping a Volquartsen group on the rifle. The KID single stage had lots of stovepipes with my rifle but that was before replacing the Ruger OEM extractor with a Volquartsen one. Try the KID. If it does work they will refund your money. My Hogue stock also had to be modified before the KID would even fit. Whatever you get, replace the Ruger extractor with a quality aftermarket one.

I see you got different stock with yours. I went with 3x9 Nikon Prostaff Scope.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeepster09; 05-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "Life Member NRA"

I see you got different stock with yours. I went with 3x9 Nikon Prostaff Scope.
    Mine originally came with a black Hogue stock. First I replaced it with a ghillie green Hogue then I bought this laminated wood one from stockysstocks.com. I didn't do any research on the Leupold before I bought it. I got it on sale for $180 when I bought the rifle. I've been really pleased with it.

I've got a lot more details on everything here.

I would like to get one of the WMR versions. I have enough built 22 LR rifles (10/22 in particular). The WMR is pretty hard to find a used Ruger so the MRI is going to be the winner for me. Price of a used Ruger 10/22 mag is similar to the MRI so it's not much of a difference there.

jackpinejim Guest

Hey photoman nice groups. I know that Magnum Research uses a BENZ chamber in their graphite barreled 22's. It is extremely tight for an auto loader and you got lucky going that many rounds. I had the same issues and found cleaning the barrel every 300 to 500 shots depending on ammo cured the problem. I also tried the Volquartsen extractor and after 5,000 rounds it ruined my barrel. It actually cut the extractor slot deeper. It was simply to sharp and too hard. Forunately Magnum replaced the barrel for me. Keep up the good work, love the pictures.

Jackpinejim