Crimsontrace   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Drum winding question

Default Drum winding question

Got to go break my thompson commando's cherry today, and was first time I ever used a drum mag. Ive used the 20 and 30 round sticks 100's of times in my old m1 model, but am confused ont he "clicks" the directions refere to. when I wind theres 2 completely different types of clicks. theres a loud click, then after a bunch of suttle ones.. which "click should I listen for while winding???

thnks

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    Got to go break my thompson commando's cherry today, and was first time I ever used a drum mag. Ive used the 20 and 30 round sticks 100's of times in my old m1 model, but am confused ont he "clicks" the directions refere to. when I wind theres 2 completely different types of clicks. theres a loud click, then after a bunch of suttle ones.. which "click should I listen for while winding???

thnks
    Which drum do you have? That sounds very strange. My original factory drum only makes one type of click sound and at each 'click' it prevents the winding key from rotating back to its previous position. Perhaps there is something wrong with your drum.

a lot of the newer Khar "L" drums do have two distinct clicks sounds, personally I just wind until it stops, most of the time that is the only way to empty a drum.

Its a new 10 rounder all I could find that I could own here in mass, till I finally found 2 original wwii 50 rounders. They have 1 click. The 10 rounder has the 2 dif clicks. I'm prob gonna shelve that one now anyways.

Are the 50 rounders legal in Mass? Do the original WWII drums fit the semi-auto Thompson without modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleboomboom View Post
    Are the 50 rounders legal in Mass? Do the original WWII drums fit the semi-auto Thompson without modifications?

As long as they were pre AWB made, then yes they are legal here. Cost a mint for both, but was worht it. Our laws mirror the federal ban to a T. our only real restrictions are to type of handguns we can own. Hate searching for original mags for my carbine, thompson, m14 ect and see "no high cap mags to MA" and yet they are selling original mags... but so long as we have a class A or B LTC large cap rifles and preban mags are legal to buy, possess, and use.

The drums dont fit out of box sorta speak. it had required very minor modification to the slot where the drum latch "indent?" goes on the thompson frame. otherwise fit fine, even better than the repro drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    As long as they were pre AWB made, then yes they are legal here. Cost a mint for both, but was worht it. Our laws mirror the federal ban to a T. our only real restrictions are to type of handguns we can own. Hate searching for original mags for my carbine, thompson, m14 ect and see "no high cap mags to MA" and yet they are selling original mags... but so long as we have a class A or B LTC large cap rifles and preban mags are legal to buy, possess, and use.

The drums dont fit out of box sorta speak. it had required very minor modification to the slot where the drum latch "indent?" goes on the thompson frame. otherwise fit fine, even better than the repro drum.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there is a state ban on "assault weapons" and "hi capacity feeding devices not lawfully posessed in the commonwealth prior to september 1994" that was passed back in 04', and it uses the same language as the 94 crime bill. Our state has more than just restrictions on mass approved handguns via the AG's BS consumer protection act. Technically folks who refuse to ship hi caps to you on your class A are right in not sending them to you. Be cautious when you're shopping.

I'm in the same boat as you brother.

Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by gregg877 View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there is a state ban on "assault weapons" and "hi capacity feeding devices not lawfully posessed in the commonwealth prior to september 1994" that was passed back in 04', and it uses the same language as the 94 crime bill. Our state has more than just restrictions on mass approved handguns via the AG's BS consumer protection act. Technically folks who refuse to ship hi caps to you on your class A are right in not sending them to you. Be cautious when you're shopping.

I'm in the same boat as you brother.

Just my 2 cents...

I was going off what 2 police depts, and 8 dealers told me (including a few selling boxes of preban original ar15 and glock mags that they aquired all over the country.) when I started collecting m1 carbines, 1919a4's, mg34's, bar's, m14/m1a's and thompsons 4 years ago.

I got enough mags now, that is over kill for a semi that I located in the area anyways.

Sounds like you got alot of the same junk that I do, drop me a Pm and let me know where you are, mebbie we can get out and sling some lead

sharps_74 Guest

My L drum has the two types of clicks as well. I have tried winding it 9-11 heavy clicks and found that to be light toward the middle or end of the rounds. I wind until it is tight. I have also found that spraying the inside of the drum with moly spray helps it to work better.