CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM9 rust

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff00042 View Post
    Corrosion X or Boeshield might give you better protection. They are top rated for long-term rust protection. Eezox is also well respected.
    I use them on my outboard motors in saltwater. Both leave a sticky waxy residue behind. Not sure that is good for small parts that have to move.

Carl
    Kahr MK9, PM9
    Colt Combat Commander .45
    Kimber Pro II .45

Quote Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
    Are you using a holster? Leather, fabric, Kydex?

I'm in hot/humid AZ with monsoon summer storms almost everyday. I've had eight KAHR pistols (P/PM/MK/K) and not a sign of rust.

I do remember an old S&W Model 60 that I carried in the waist band years ago for work. We had to supply our own duty weapons. I thought the stainless was impervious to rust...until I removed the grip panels. Even the original grip panels showed damage from the moisture. It was irreparable damage to the stainless, but at least concealed under the grip panels. I never carried w/o a holster again.
    Leather (pocket holster), Kydex (IWB). I knew AZ was hot but I always heard that ya'll had a dry heat. I know the humidity is what tears us up. I took my mag release out today and see where it is lightly pitted from the rust so I may just buy a new one and send it to that place in PA mentioned by Catshooter and have it chromed.
    Save the Constitution in 2012

someof those speciality shops can black chrome also. I think apwcogan.com can do that stuff.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I've never had a leather holster that I didn't sweat through, just FYI.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I live in Largo Florida, so I feel your pain.

All ferrous materials rust, that includes all stainless steels. It should be spelled 'stain-less'.

I offer two solutions for you. First a holster that prevents sweat getting to the mag catch?

Or, buy an extra mag catch and send it to Armalloy (Google 'em) in Pa. They can hard chrome it and then it will never, ever rust.

Now that I've thought about it, I should send mine off to them and get it done. I've had Armalloy do work for me in the past and they're top notch.

Cat
    Thanks, sounds like that may be a long term solution.
    Save the Constitution in 2012

A couple thoughts: You could also look at a tennifer type finish for the new button. Pretty rust resistant and might look original, if you care. You could also look into getting Birdsong Black T applied to the new button. It is quite durable.

If sweat is causing your problems, rather than just the humidity, consider switching to horsehide or kydex holster. Cowhide absorbs much more moisture and will carry that over to the gun.