Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disgusted with new CW45

Default Disgusted with new CW45

I have never been so disappointed in a gun in all my life as I am with this CW45, :32: I finally got around to getting the first 200 or so shots thru it.
    The good news: It shoots straight. That's all the good I can say about it. The bad news is that it is one horribly unreliable piece of crap.
    I did not get through ONE freakin magazine without a failure of some sort. I finally gave up on the 7 round mag for now and used my two 6 round mags.
    I used WWB round nose FMJ for break in. I encountered one thing I haven't read about before, the slide would go back into battery ready to fire, (or so I thought, I did try and push the slide in a few times and it was in as far as it would go), and I'd pull the trigger and nothing. No click, no noise of any type. So I would do a press check far enough to reset the trigger, and it would go bang. After doing this repeatedly, I decided to see what would happen if I just kept pulling the trigger, and sometimes after the 3rd or 4th trigger pull it would go bang. I've not heard of this before. This happened at least once every mag, and often a couple times on one mag. It had repeated failures to feed, maybe that is my fault, I didn't polish the feed ramp. Also the slide often would not lock back on the last round, the take down lever worked it's way out to maybe 1/8th of an inch or so sometimes, and other times it just didn't lock back. That happened repeatedly also. I have seen a thread on the take down lever working it's way loose am going to look it up after I beetch a little more. I was so disgusted with the gun after 200 rounds, well more like 194 after I threw away some mangled cartridges, that I didn't even try any SD ammo.
    Right now I'm ready to take this gun and shove it up a certain gun makers ass as far as I can shove it. What really pisses me off, is I took the time to do Jocko's prep, lube it up well, and rack the slide hundreds of times. And it performed worse than my CW40 did without any prep at all. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
    I have to tell you though, If this had been my first experience with a Kahr, I'd sell it in a hurry and hope to never hear about Kahr again. As it is, I'll have to think a long time before I buy another one. Things never got any better as I came closer to the 200 round mark, same things kept happening over and over and over and over.
    I made real damn sure I wasn't limp wristing it, or anything else that would make it not function. The CW40 ran perfectly after I put the .45 away, even with my arms getting tired. Now I have a country music song running thru my head, "Take this gun and shove it..... I ain't shooting it no more". Bear with me please, trying to maintain some of my sense of humour thru all this mess. I'm not sure what to do with the damn thing now. Is there anything I can do? Does it need to go straight back to the mothership before I go fooling with things? Any ideas?

Well, at least the CT laser was fun. It got kind of embarrasing though the madder I got the more the little red dot bounced around the target. Should have covered up the lens I guess.

It's making me wonder if Jet Guns didn't clean up someone else's problem child and sell it as new. I guess Kahr would now if it'd been registered for warranty before. Maybe that's why I got it so cheap. Crap, I shouldn't go dragging a gun dealers name thru the mud unless I have proof they did something wrong. I'm just way pissed off.

WHEN it DID shoot, it shot pretty well.
    These targets are from the 7 yard mark, in the order I shot them. I was getting pretty agitated by the 2nd and 3rd targets. The targets are 12" wide and 18" tall.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Deep breathing, happy thoughts thetmanski. Distance yourself from that CW for awhile. Sounds like you got a bad trigger bar for sure, thats why it's not resetting like it should.

You did your best to get the 200 down, it's not better and getting worse. Back to the mothership she goes.

Document everything you experienced just as clearly as you can. I think alot of issues are missed due to miscomunication between the owner and the smiths at kahr.

Send the mags that don't lock the slide back with it, send it in the original box if you still have it. Give the Kahr folks a chance to fix that evil reject.

If it comes back still bad I'll help you think up new swear words and we'll ridicule everyone east of the Mississippi and everyone north of the mason dixon line as norther aggressors.

We're with ya here, we want this CW to run for you as much as you do.
    Don't give up. It's sad, it's wrong, its a travesty to get past QC but lets give em a chance.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Easy one's first - failure to feed and failure to eject, to be expected during break in.

Next - failure to fire, to me sounds like dirt or debris in the striker channel. I suggest removing all the top end components (there's a breakdown for it on the forum) cleaning well, and trying again. If that doesn't do it, call Kahr, who I'm sure will send a label so you can send it back for service.

I don't have any answers for you but appreciate your feelings of frustration. My CW45 had some relatively minor issues during the first 200 rounds, one fail to fire that I attribute to a bad primer and one failure to go into battery which I also suspect was cause by the cheap ammo I used. The other issue was a guide rod that was not properly beveled making it very difficult to insert during reassembly after cleaning.

I'd also add that In my opinion any prepping beyond a basic clean and lube prior to having a firearm that is fully functional out of the box is a failure on the part of the manufacturer.
    Suffolk County in the People's Republic of NY

My bad - no click on trigger pull... yes, trigger bar not quite as it should be.

Just call Kahr and they'll do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by thetmanski View Post
    ...I encountered one thing I haven't read about before, the slide would go back into battery ready to fire, (or so I thought, I did try and push the slide in a few times and it was in as far as it would go), and I'd pull the trigger and nothing. No click, no noise of any type. So I would do a press check far enough to reset the trigger, and it would go bang. After doing this repeatedly, I decided to see what would happen if I just kept pulling the trigger, and sometimes after the 3rd or 4th trigger pull it would go bang. I've not heard of this before.

...It had repeated failures to feed, maybe that is my fault, I didn't polish the feed ramp.

...Also the slide often would not lock back on the last round, the take down lever worked it's way out to maybe 1/8th of an inch or so sometimes, and other times it just didn't lock back. That happened repeatedly also. I have seen a thread on the take down lever working it's way loose am going to look it up after
    The failure to fire issue could be a myriad of things.
    I think this especially true as you can get it to fire by repeated pulls on the trigger. This suggests to me that the trigger is reset, but
    1. The cocking cam is not rotating enough to release the striker (bad trigger bar or cocking cam). It also occurs to me that the striker block could impede the travel of the cocking cam (check that block depresses fully and moves freely). Does the trigger seem to have more travel when it does fire?
    2. The cocking cam is functioning properly, but the striker still needs more travel from it to release (bad striker, slide or frame).
    Of those above, about the only one you can check is the striker. Look for any damage or burrs on it where it engages the cocking cam. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the cocking cam lobes as well (neither would dis-assembly and cleaning of the slide if you haven't already done so).

Failure to feed: never discount a bad magazine. Could you be more specific in what the failure is (three point jam, bottom of feed ramp, etc.)?

Here's the link to the slide stop issue:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=15672#post15672
    Perhaps fixing this will also affect the other issues.

Regards,
    Greg

my wife & I have put 50 rounds through ours with no problems, hope things get better for you.

Thanks guys,
    I think I'm gonna ship it back to the factory. I didn't make the thing, I didn't break anything, and I'm not going to be the one to fix it (I Hope).

The jams really didn't bother me so much as the trigger not setting the gun off, never ran into that before and it just flustered the hell out of me. The jams I recall the bullet tips were were jammed into the top of the barrel opening. I could have lived with the jams, it being a new gun and all. The other deal with the trigger just had me so discombobulated I kind of lost track of the other problems.
    Well I think I've calmed down to where I can call Kahr and have a resonable discussion, anger has turned to a mild depression. Don't you just hate when new toys don't work? This whole episode is making me rethink Kahr quality control, or lack thereof. What with the troubles the .380's have, and this thing. And the numerous other problems on the forum. I'm not sure I can ethically recommend one to my friend that liked my CW40 now and wanted one. I bet when he hears about this he won't want one anyway.
    I'm startin to feel like somehow I've wandered on to the Kel Tec forum. LOL
    I've just never had a gun behave so badly before, and it's really shaken my confidence in Kahr. Maybe if I could have gotten just ONE mag's worth of bullets to run ok I might feel a little better. But NO, the freakin gun wouldn't even give me that.
    Ok, there's my morning rant. Needed to get that out of my system. Going to call Kahr in a few. Better wait for my blood pressure med to kick in so I don't blow a gasket.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

gun is out of time and there is nothing you can do for it. Kahr must fix it. Insist and be nice though that they pay to pick up the gun. document everything you have done etc so the techs can start somewhere instead of guessing. Light strikes are an out of time gun and again most culpirts are a out of spec trigger bar, but I have seen totally new slides replaced also,. Kahr can just sit there and replace parts until it works, we can't. You know from readig many posts the cw series is a really reliable gun, you just got a lemon.Let um fix it and when it comes back and all is OK you will forget soon of this inconvenience..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

After all the problems I have been reading about on this forum, if our Kahrs start acting up they will be gone like a fart in the wind.