Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PM9, and a big thanks to this forum

Default First PM9, and a big thanks to this forum

My wife just got her first firearm and it was a MA compliant PM9 with night sights. We did extensive research before making the purchase and found the information provided here at Kahrtalk to be invaluable. For the most part, you all provide great technical information without the extreme political garbage associated with so many other forums.

When she first brought the PM9 home there were several issues that were disconcerting.
    • [1]The slide was difficult to pull back
      [2]The slide stop was near impossible to engage
      [3]The slide stop require a blunt tool (plastic rod) to release (no magazine)
      [4]The magazine didn't consistently eject
      [5]The safety was difficult to actuate

We knew to expect the PM9 to be tight, but it was far tighter than we counted on. However, Based on the advice found on Kahrtalk, we started the break-in by taking turns locking the slide back, ejecting the magazine, and releasing the slide using the lock. My wife wore an old pair of leather driving gloves, I just let the slide strip my hands raw, and we used the back of a plastic pen to release the slide. (Yeah, we must have looked like a couple clowns.)

So after a couple nights of slide racking, we headed to the range with 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 124gr which were followed by 25 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P. We took turns firing and the Kahr preformed flawlessly. My wife had a few failures to feed, but they were clearly from limp wristing. By the end of our trip to the range the PM9 was loose enough for my wife to rack and release without gloves or a pen, the magazine now drops free, and the safety has loosened up.

As for the ammunition, we couldn't feel a difference between the WWB or the Golden Saber +P. The only thing we did notice was the Saber did produce prominent muzzle flash.

We will return to the range to finish the break-in and hopefully improve my aim. The wife made me look pretty foolish. She was at least consistently on target. I on the other hand was so bad that I had a full magazines with not a single hole punched through the paper (I guess I made myself look foolish).

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you have shared here on Kahrtalk. Your advice not to complain until you have run the gun through the break-in was spot on, and I'm glad that I listened.

I hope to be getting my own PM9 soon, so that I don't have to share the wife's.

Thanks again and Cheers
    Last edited by gear_guy; 04-16-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typos

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad it's doing you right and that tightness will feel especially good as you pass each thousand round milestone.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Welcome to Kahrtalk! Glad to have you as a member. It'd be nice if your wife also visited and posted here, that'd be great.

Looks like all the prep worked paid off. Thanks for the range report.

Similar to your findings with WWB vs. GS +P I didn't notice much difference between some Black Hills 115 EXP and 124 +P I was recently shooting. Yet, the 124 +P is about 100 foot pounds more at the muzzle (4") and penetrates 14" vs. 10" of bare ballistic gelatin. Go figure. Maybe a more knowledgeable member can comment on this subjective finding?

Bill K.

and the nice thing about all of this is that in another couple hundred rounds the gun will feel much smoother also. all those parts need and are gertting broken in. U did it right, u were prepared to do what it takes. Sad, but some just don't and then they blame the gun totally. Keep it clean and lubed and shoot it like u stole it.

Kahrs have loooooong trigers but it is there by design, the safety on your kahr IMO is a good thing to. U can choose to have it on or to not.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

welcome from another mass-hole

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately, my wife will often read along with me when I am cruising forums, but she isn't big on posting.

She was initially very nervous with the mere concept of handling firearms, but she has been taking baby steps towards gaining confidence. Today was her first day conceal carrying in public and the PM9's safety provided her the reassurance that it wouldn't just "go off". Yes, she knows that cannot happen.

I have yet to receive my LTC , so if something does happen I will be sure to hit the deck and let her sort it out.

As for the long trigger pull, it was smooth and lighter than other MA compliant hand guns I have fired. It will take a little getting used to, but I liked it.

Now, can someone point me to some online beginner information regarding proper use of the Kahr night sights? My searches haven't found much and I don't know what sight picture the Kahr uses.

Thanks again,

A friendly mass-hole

It simply amazes me how us Nutmeggers can live so close to you MA guys yet be so much more responsible that our State government doesn't have to treat us like 5 year old gun handlers - YET!

Oh, and those Green Mountain Boys not even needing carry permits, what's up with that?

Bill K.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    It simply amazes me how us Nutmeggers can live so close to you MA guys yet be so much more responsible that our State government doesn't have to treat us like 5 year old gun handlers - YET!

Oh, and those Green Mountain Boys not even needing carry permits, what's up with that?
    Bill K.
    I'm not against the basic principle behind MA licensing, but it does have some serious flaws. I feel the process should be consistent throughout the state and not subject to the whims and fancies of each local chief. Some towns are seriously anti-gun, others turn licenses around in a matter of days, and others just don't give it much priority.

For my wife it was easier and faster than getting a drivers licence. I applied at the same time, yet it is four months later and I still haven't received mine. The licensing officer says he just has not got to it and he has a lot of other things to do.

At least in MA if you do get an unrestricted license there truly are few restriction on where you can carry.

Now, let's not even get into the MA compliant handguns roster, the AG consumer protection regulations, or the MA AWB. I love the MA compliant PM9, the safety is great for my wife's confidence, but it would be nice to have a few more choices.

I will be greatly relieved when my LTC arrives. Unless it is restricted, then I will be pissed. If I cannot conceal carry, I won't have any justification to buy my own PM9.

This, I believe, is what TucksonMTB has just described in his second sentence...

Bill K.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    The picture below is close in that it illustrates the relationship of the line on the rear sight and dot on the front sight.

Hopefully you can share some pictures of your targets, proudly.
    Thanks for the information. I assume this applies to the night sights.

My aim is anything but consistent with the PM9. This was surprising to me as I shot fairly well using a Sig P229 six months ago. I think I need to learn to focus on the front sight, but what the hell do I know?

The indoor range at the club I belong to has a minimum distance of 25 feet. Sadly, this is a bit too far for me to get a feel of what I am doing wrong. I plan on using the outdoor range to get closer, but I may have to break down and get some instructions.

I will report back after our next break-in session, but until then I will be trying to absorb as much as I can from all of you.