Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New CW45

Default New CW45

Picked up a used CW45 this week for a good price.
    Heard some good and not so good comments about the pistols, but decided to go with it anyways.
    Brought the gun to the range a few hours after buying it and went through 100+ Winchester 230 FMJ with a few FTE completely and a few stovepipes while trying to rapid fire. (but I think those were from trying to fire too rapidly while not focusing on my grip.)
    My first impression of the gun is that it is extremely accurate. I was able to hit quarter sized clay pigeon pieces at 25 meters quite often.
    I like the size and comfortability of the pistol. The grip or recoil doesnt seem to bother my hand which has been a problem with some larger framed autos after a few too many breaks in my shooting hand.

Went home the first night and cleaned and lubed the pistol, and the next day went for round 2.
    Although I didnt have any stovepipes, I did have several FTE completely where the extracting round managed to turn a complete 180 and jam itself backwards as the slide came forward. A little frustrating, but still am pleased with the pistol.
    I found this forum this afternoon and after much browsing I decided to give it a good scrubbing and prep following the sticky in the tech section.
    I'm going to head back out tomorrow and see if it paid off any.
    Any additional help would be appreciate.
    Thanks and this is a great site.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by phattony View Post
    Although I didnt have any stovepipes, I did have several FTE completely where the extracting round managed to turn a complete 180 and jam itself backwards as the slide came forward...
    Welcome to the forums Tony
    What round count is the FTE happening on (randomly, last round, etc.)?
    Regards,
    Greg

Seems to be random. Most as I can remember are around midway through the magazine with 1 to 3 left.

My first impression of the gun is that it is extremely accurate. I was able to hit quarter sized clay pigeon pieces at 25 meters quite often.
    Is that quarter like in 25 cent size clay pigeons at 25 meters? If so you a MUCH better shot then I am.
    Suffolk County in the People's Republic of NY

Seems to be random. Most as I can remember are around midway through the magazine with 1 to 3 left.
    If you haven't done so, you might want to break the slide down and give the extractor components a good cleaning.
    Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    If you haven't done so, you might want to break the slide down and give the extractor components a good cleaning.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks Greg, will try.

and yes, those are 25 cent sized pieces of clay pigeon.

Welcome to the forum phattony! Don't have any advice for you, I leave that to the more experienced folks. Good luck with your .45!!!
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Default Range Report

I cleaned and lubed the CW45 last night. I used brake cleaner to clean out the clean-out hole on the bottom of the slide. Lubed lightly with Rem-Oil and greased the slide guides with Tetra Gun Grease and worked the slide several times and wiped the excess that came through.

I put around 75 FMJ through the gun, and then 20 Remington 230 grain BJHP through to test.
    I had 2 FTE, 1 FTF, and 1 mag drop, but that could have been my fault.
    The last 3-4 magazines were completely failure free, with the last two being ball and hollow point rapid fire.

I am going to completely take the slide down today. I am going to brake clean all parts and reassemble.

Still pretty impressed with the accuracy. I am seriously considering tritium night sights.
    Come on IL, pass HB0148! Ready to start carrying.
    I have heard through some other places that the bill will be heard before the house soon after Easter.
    Tony

Be sure to make you up a bent coat hanger to hold that striker spring. It sure makes things easier.
    If you have it all apart you really don't need brake cleaner but it will sure work.
    Theres a chain in the extractor tube, I had to use a small wire to push it all out the first time. Note how everything comes out and of course the orientation of the extractor itself.
    I'd lightly lube the extractor chain, extractor spring and pin, can't remember now if there one more piece in there. Not tough.

I'd leave the extractor dry. Or oil it and then wipe it all off. It will work fine left dry.

Seems like your guns working itself out to me. Lets hope so anyhow.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Good purchase, I just got one this past week as well. It seems that you and I live in the only states w/out Concealed Carry, hopefully that'll change soon!

Brian