Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tul ammo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tul ammo

Anybody have any experience with it. From what I can find is its from russia. At 15.00 for 50 rounds of .45 is cheap. Its pretty much the only thing that I can find still in stock a wally world. So if no one buys it it must suck right?

My experience has been this,my CW45 doesn't like it at all.It would not even seat all the way in the barrel breach.It is not worth the money,I still have a box of 50 here,hopefully I can trade it off for something.My .02 $

Thanks , I figured something was wrong.

It has recently surfaced at the local Wally in 9mm. I haven't bought any due to hearing bad reports on it. I think it's very similar to Wolf. Some guns will run on it fine others won't. I don't get much in the way of ammo selection around here. It's either wwb or AE. Recently Gander was clearing out a bunch of different stuff so I purchased about 300 rounds of various rounds including Fiiochi, RWS, Winchester Nato. Just to mix in some different stuff to see how my guns would run on it. Had no problems with any of that stuff in any of my guns.

I don't touch the stuff. Two things you need to know about Tula ammo. First, the casing isn't brass, it's steel. After the pressure drops off, a brass cartridge will shrink slightly pulling away from the chamber walls. Steel doesn't. Makes for a difficult extraction. Hard on the action. And I've witnessed more than a few shooters putting a cleaning rod down the barrel and hitting it with a hammer trying to drive a stuck casing out of the chamber. The other thing is the bullet jacket. This is not copper as with most bullets. It is a copper/steel alloy. They put just enough copper in it to give it the color, but it's essentially steel. Steel doesn't want to push into the rifling very easily. Raises pressure and increases wear on the barrel. Also makes the gun run hotter. And, as if that isn't enough, it's dirty ammo. Plan on giving your gun a good cleaning if you use it.

Im going to be patient and get something else.

I save russian ammo for russian guns or variants there of.
    Oh and that Wolf ammo is the pits. Wouldn't shoot it in any gun.
    Last edited by TheTman; 05-03-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add a line
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

My indoor range checks all ammo carried in and if uncertain, will put a magnet to it testing for steel. Based on this thread, I suspect mine and other ranges will not allow it. I thought of this when a respected member here "bought some ammo" like a few pallets of ammo. Be my luck to do that and face restrictions.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

So whats the deal about steel that ranges dont allow it.

I was in WM the other day getting some ammo, and a guy behind me specifically asked for that ammo. I've never used it, but according to comments here e must have one of the guns that it runs good in.