Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PM9 - 1st 2 Range visits- what happened?

Default Jams

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBlast View Post
    Hey - what mags were you using when the jamming was happening? I would only try and diag that issue with the Kahr 6 round mags.
    Although Buckeye may be from the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon he has a point.

Did the jams occur with all your mags or just one of them? You will need to mark your mags anyway just to keep track of such things now and in the future.

The first one it jammed on was a 7 round ProMag, then it jammed with the kahr 7 and 6. I'll stick with the kahr 6 for now though....

An easy way to check and see if it's a mag problem is to put a small piece of masking tape on the floor plate of each mag, then make a mark with each jamb. Rotate through your mags and see if one mag works particularly well or particularly bad. My PM9 HATED the Promag 10 rounder. Used it once, it's sat in my safe ever since.

Hey crazy- I'm near Raleigh. I was originally from MD but as soon as I realized I was a southerner I moved. ha ha... Thanks all for all the advice, I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Second trip to the range after cleaning- jammed a lot. Could I have messed up the reassembly or something? Same ammo, same mags. Only thing different was it was a different day and I cleaned it in between.
    Also make sure that the slide stop/lock lever is all the way in into the frame. This may cause similar problems.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your upcoming ccw class!!

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Hey crazy- I'm near Raleigh. I was originally from MD but as soon as I realized I was a southerner I moved. ha ha... Thanks all for all the advice, I'll keep you posted.
    ahhh... Sir Walter Raleigh gun club.....

Shot a few matches there. Real nice people. And the area is just gorgeous.
    Only problem it has is that it is too close to Raleigh.

FYI - Pro Mags are not the best in the world, but they do sell a lot of them. I'd stick with the Kahr mags for the break in. I'm also with the others, if you did not have any problems with the first 70, something is not right.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Friends don't let friends use ProMags!

I always shoot my carry piece after cleaning to make sure it works.

Update:
    Cleaned the PM9 after the 2nd range trip when I had all the issues. I didn't mention before, but before the 2nd range trip I racked the slide a few hundred times (read somewhere that was good breakin procedure). When I disassembled to clean, there were some very fine shavings of some sort. (from a few hundred rackings and 100 shots fired) Not sure whether it was polimer or metal. These were in the top rear of the slide and on the top rear of the interior of the polimer base. So I cleaned it all up, oiled a little extra with a different cleaner/lube (can't remember which one at the moment), and reassembled.

Today at the range- perfection- 100 rounds no issues whatsoever. Used only the kahr 6 round mags. I happen to ask the guy next to me that I know to be experienced what the distance is for qualifying for ccw. He said 15 at 7, 15 at 5 and 10 at 3 yards. I shot 100 at 7 and all were within about 5 inches of the center. While I wouldn't think that was great he said there won't be but maybe 5 percent of the class that will shoot that close. Kind of surprised me....

Anyway I'm all smiles again over the way it performed. I now have 270 rounds through it....