Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polymer Safe Gun Cleaners in California

Default Polymer Safe Gun Cleaners in California

Well I went ro the store with a shopping list of some recommendations from these forums, only to find that none of the brake cleaner part numbers I collected are available in California!

Any California Kahr owners care to divulge what they are using to clean their polymer pistols?

I know I can just buy a $10-$15 can of Gun Scrubber, but I would much rather have 10 cans of $2 brake cleaner available! However all of the brake cleaners I saw today list Acetone as their main ingredient...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

The good Gun Scrubber isn't available in California anymore either. They replaced it with a "California approved" Gun Scrubber.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Figures. So what in the world does a poor California boy use to clean his polymer frame Kahr? LOL

Water. Oh nevermind. There is a shortage on that too.

I'm not an expert but I would think thar CA would have non-clorinated brake cleaner. Wouldn't it be "friendler" than acetone? My brake cleaner I use comes in a green can.

http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-po...er/219615_0_0/
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

If you read the ingredients all CA non-chlorinated brake cleaner I can find is primarily acetone.

I use FrogLube, but for initial degreasing and cleaning would recommend CRC QD Electronic Cleaner in spray can. It's available at local WalMart and it's great without such a toxic odor. You will likely find it in the sporting goods or automotive sections.

Be sure to also spray it in the hole on underside of slide to clean out the extractor and striker channel without having to remove them.

Have you ever considered moving out of Commiefornia?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Many times. Many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetack View Post
    If you read the ingredients all CA non-chlorinated brake cleaner I can find is primarily acetone.

thats strange. acetone is on its way out in over the counter cleaners. anything that says acetone, I would stay away from. I suggest one go to NAPa and buying 3M High Pressure brake cleaner. in a black can Part# 08180. Its cheap in price, it POWERFUL AS HELL, and IT WILLNOT HARM ANY PART OF YOUR KAHR. I have used CRC and it is good also. Mosty auto stores sell either. U can if you feel squeesy about buying auto cleaners for your gun, just go ahead and by gunscrubber at about 3X the price and utter than mayse some sweet smelly sh!t in the can, it is the same stuff but it sucks in the gun owners... My choice for the past 5 years is 3M
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I suggest one go to NAPa and buying 3M High Pressure brake cleaner... I have used CRC and it is good also.
    I am not leary about using them, in fact I want to use them. My problem is the California approved 3M, bothe colors of CRC, and even the Supertech brake cleaners all contain Acetone which is very harmful to polymers. In fact, almost every brake cleaner I can find has nearly identical ingredients to the respective companies carb cleaner!

I checked every label at NAPA and Walmart, I am going to try Autozone tomorrow. I really don't want to pay $15 for a can of Gun Scrubber, which is also a watered down stupid California version!