Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification

Default Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification

Just wondering if there is any interest in a modification to the Kahr 9mm follower that makes chambering a round via the "slingshot method" much easier and consistent (IMO, enough so that they could rewrite the manual). It also seems to hold the top round better and might prevent loss of the round during loose pocket carry.

Regards,
    Greg

Modification detailed in post #12

Note!: While I'm very pleased with the results of these mods, some folks have tried modifying the follower (though not exactly as I did) and not had the same results (to varying degrees). It could be that I just encountered a "perfect storm" with this mod and my particular gun. If you attempt something similar please keep this in mind and be sure to read their posts.

UPDATE: You can now buy a metal follower from Lakeline LLC that will do the same thing that this mod does and it's a well made product (virtually eliminates the chance of a broken front follower skirt):

Last edited by gb6491; 02-01-2017 at 07:08 PM.

surv

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

ping for more info
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

USAF (Ret)
    NRA Life Member
    Conservative

I've thought for as long as I've owned a Kahr that the magazine design is the weakness of the line and needs to be redesigned.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

In my opinion that's how it SHOULD work... I racked the slide on my XDM last night to chamber a round and really wish my Kahr was like that - it's the only drawback to the gun.

funny, Ihave no issues with the kahr magazines in racdking a live round into the gun in my K9 or PJM9 or P380. Kahrs magazines are waht they are by design, not by accident. I credit thatto the offset feed ramp allowing a lower bore axis and there fore a more pleasant gun to shoot than most.. It's only a drwaback if you allow it to be that.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    funny, Ihave no issues with the kahr magazines in racdking a live round into the gun in my K9 or PJM9 or P380. Kahrs magazines are waht they are by design, not by accident. I credit thatto the offset feed ramp allowing a lower bore axis and there fore a more pleasant gun to shoot than most.. It's only a drwaback if you allow it to be that.
    Jocko,
    I agree to a point. I can rack rounds into my CW9 and CW45 without issue using the magazines as they come from the factory. The CW45 can be done in almost any manner. The CW9 requires strict attention to technique and is not tolerant of sloppiness. I believe this is enough of a problem that Kahr rewrote their manual to advise only using the slide stop to chamber a round.
    Likewise, while the Kahr magazines are what they are by design and not by accident, I agree with Ripley 16: "I've thought for as long as I've owned a Kahr that the magazine design is the weakness of the line and needs to be redesigned." I've detailed my issues with the CW45 magazine before (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1612) and certainly believe the 9mm magazine performance could be improved upon.
    Now, with that all said, I respect the opinion of others and if they are happy with a thing as it is, well all the more power to them. I'm not trying to convince anyone they need to mod their magazines, just letting them know what works for me. As in most things, YMMV

For those with interest: write up to follow.
    Regards,
    Greg

Put me in the interested column. Theres room for improvement in just about everything and your just the guy to help make it happen.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I am interested in seeing your mod Greg.

I have played with the idea of increasing the angle of the follower before to help this issue, but never made any permanent changes to the few mags I have.

Ditto, Greg.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".