CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Lawmen use Kahr for back up or off duty.

Hi fellas, I just purchased mine, (CW9) and really like it, i would like to have a nice melt job and some polishing done, but i dont want teh down time of shipping it back to factory..(13 yrs on the job now in NE Texas)

It's been a while since I've carried both a handgun and a badge, but I did so for many years. I don't carry a badge these days. I'm old enough that the issue sidearm was a revolver in those days. I realize that Kahr is probably not in a position to supply the number of firearms necessary to compete in the "take the lowest bid" market for most issue firearms these days. Sadly, the lowest cost has dictated issue weapons in far too many cases, instead of what would really be the best one for the job at hand. Not always, of course, but in some.

I will tell you that I personally would have absolutely no problem with the P45 or the larger framed TP45 as a full time uniform duty weapon. I've not fired the larger one, but have quite a bit of experience with the P45. I have found no reason at all to feel that I'd be inadequately or less than excellently armed with the P45. Then again, I managed to get by nicely without lights mounted on handguns and other such things. I'm not sayin those things are bad or are not of much value in some situtations. I'm just sayin' that day in and day out, they are not necessarily necessary. I can say that I wish I'd had the option of carrying the polymer Kahr (or some other polymer framed lighter weight weapon) around all day long every day. My P45 is easier to handle and fire than any steel framed revolver I ever carried, and easier than some of the lightweight ones available then and now. And another thing on a personal note, .... I know they work and work pretty well, but I wouldn't trade my Kahrs for a pickup load of Glocks and a few other striker fired handguns. Just my opinion ...
    So long ... Pudge
    Southeastern New Mexico

Don't take this in any kind of mano mano way you understand, but I think I love you pudge.

Sometimes old school is the best school and I don't say that just cause it's the only school I ever went to. Still ain't graduated but I'm working on it.

I did graduate high school but that diploma wasn't worth the paper it was wrote on.

I was class VP in the school of hard knocks though for what tiny little bit that might be worth.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I just purchased a CM9 for off-duty carry. It's my first Kahr and I've run a couple of hundred rounds thru it and so far its been great. I've carried a 3PAT for several years and it too is a good little gun...never a hicup. I just wanted a little more umph. I also just ordered a PJ holster after a recomendation from a fellow member and am going to install night sights. I have been carrying a 38 body guard as a backup but may switch to the Kahr. It's really a great feeling and great shooting little peice!

Off duty:
    CM9, M&P 45c, & around the house LCP.

Default CW9 and PM9

I have a CW9 for sale.

No issues, great gun, just thinning the herd.

I carry a PM9 in a Galco ankle holster on duty and in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster off duty. I carry a spare 7 round magazine in my weak side pocket on duty and off duty.

I went from a S & W 442 to the PM9.

The S & W is available for sale also.

Guns will not be shipped.

I have owned several Kahr's over the years and have had excellent serivce out of all of them.

The most accurate was a P40. I outshot our top shooter at 25 yards with it. He was using a Kimber 1911. Boy were we suprised.

Quote Originally Posted by dp509 View Post
    I have a CW9 for sale.
    ~
    The S & W is available for sale also.

Guns will not be shipped.

~
    It might be helpful if you gave some hint of your location, if you are unwilling to ship. State?

Looked through his post's, if i'm not mistaken he is in Alabama

Default Re: How many Lawmen use Kahr for back up or off duty.

When I left the NYPD a couple of years ago, I'd only known a handful of guys using a Kahr for a back-up. But the reason is two-fold. One, NYPD officers were only approved to carry .38 and 9mm, on or off-duty Second, Kahr was removed from the department's recommended firearms list.

I never did hear of an official answer as to why but two different dept instructor buddies theorized that the department didn't trust officers following the recommended break-in. Although it's vital practice to break-in any pistol, the manufacturer's clear statement along with the accepted fact that most city cops would not do it, may have been the reason.

I can't tell you how many buddies take their new pistol out of the box and onto their person without ever firing a round down range. Just at a friend's wake yesterday, two recently retired guys admitted to just that with what they were carrying ( LCP and Bodyguard .380).

I never did dig too deep so if anyone knows a different reason, I'd be interested to hear it.

I also was told that NYPFD told kahr they wanted a 13" strker and kahr said no, More political than anything as the gun has been approved for years with the NYPD trigger and now they wanted to up the striker spring to be I guess what ever glocks are, I might beoff on that, it could have been uped to 11#, but eihter way I was told kahr said NO and that was it... Probably somewhere between what WMac19 is saying and what I am stating is the truth. Our local Police was carrying reloads up until about ayear ago when concerned citizens foud out about it and then pooled some money for them to have good stuff, For me if ur gonna tell me to carry reloads or thatis all the dept cvan afford, then surely if I was a cop and felt like I wante dthe best I could cough up enough bucks to buy at leat a box of defense stuff to carry. Its my life not the chiefs who is behid the desk eating krispy creams or dunkin donuts.. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY