Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: Cleanest Burning Pistol Powder - 40S&W?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default Cleanest Burning Pistol Powder - 40S&W?

Anyone have any test data available on the cleanest burning pistol powder (for 40S&W)? I purchased 2 lbs of Longshot and am having very good luck with it. It does not seem to leave my PM40 very dirty. However, the thought came to me about researching which powders are rated the cleanest burning. I have experimented with different powder charges using Longshot and so far everything is cycling fine. Anyone ever compare Longshot with other powders for how clean they burn?

My wife shoots a 380 auto. The Hornady Manual shows that Autocomp will overlap for the 380 auto and 40S&W. So I may try this powder out in the future. Any input on how clean Autocomp burns compared to Longshot?

This may be one of those touchy topics like caliber or ammo preferences and I am not trying to get an argument started. It may also be too specific. So please take this question the way it is intended....I am trying to learn more about "clean" burning powders, if anyone has good info to offer. I'm sure something containing good info is out there to share on this subject. Thanks a bunch.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

No scientific data to offer, only my feeble observations, but:

The cleanest burning powders I've found are Vihtavuori and Universal Clays.

For.40S&W I load 5.0-5.5 grs of N320 or 6.5-6.8 grs of N340 for 165gr FMJ loads and 5.6-5.8 grs of N340 for 180 gr FMJ loads (VV).

I actually load much more Unique and HP-38/(231) for handguns than any other powder, primarily because I have more of it (It's cheaper, and I'm cheap) and find the accuracy to be very good in all my handguns. (9mm, .40s&w, 45ACP, 357 Sig, etc).

I will have to admit, however, that the VV and Universal Clays requires less cleanup.
    There are many more clean(er) burning powders out there, these are simply a couple that I have experience with.
    Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

No scientific data to offer, only my feeble observations, but:

The cleanest burning powders I've found are Vihtavuori and Universal Clays.

For.40S&W I load 5.0-5.5 grs of N320 or 6.5-6.8 grs of N340 for 165gr FMJ loads and 5.6-5.8 grs of N340 for 180 gr FMJ loads (VV).

I actually load much more Unique and HP-38/(231) for handguns than any other powder, primarily because I have more of it (It's cheaper, and I'm cheap) and find the accuracy to be very good in all my handguns. (9mm, .40s&w, 45ACP, 357 Sig, etc).

I will have to admit, however, that the VV and Universal Clays requires less cleanup.
    There are many more clean(er) burning powders out there, these are simply a couple that I have experience with.
    I wonder if there is really much of a difference at all in how clean these new powders burn; or if it comes down more to what reloaders like to use, what they have in their inventory to use, and what they have used in the past and have developed loads for???? I'll just have to keep digging. Thanks.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    Anyone have any test data available on the cleanest burning pistol powder (for 40S&W)? I purchased 2 lbs of Longshot and am having very good luck with it. It does not seem to leave my PM40 very dirty. However, the thought came to me about researching which powders are rated the cleanest burning. I have experimented with different powder charges using Longshot and so far everything is cycling fine. Anyone ever compare Longshot with other powders for how clean they burn?

My wife shoots a 380 auto. The Hornady Manual shows that Autocomp will overlap for the 380 auto and 40S&W. So I may try this powder out in the future. Any input on how clean Autocomp burns compared to Longshot?

This may be one of those touchy topics like caliber or ammo preferences and I am not trying to get an argument started. It may also be too specific. So please take this question the way it is intended....I am trying to learn more about "clean" burning powders, if anyone has good info to offer. I'm sure something containing good info is out there to share on this subject. Thanks a bunch.
    For light loads in my 40 S&W chambered revolvers i use either WST or American Selct. For full power loads the Vihtavouri lione of powders are noted for their clean burning characteristic.

My friend uses Clays. I can attest to the difference vs Bulleye in 38spl.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

When the Government is wrong, it's dangerous to be right!

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter ... don't mind .
    .. and those that mind ... don't matter!

I've been using Alliant Power Pistol in both the 9mm and .40 S&W with excellent results. Clean burning and consistent.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I'm another Power Pistol fan. I've been using it for many years. Burns clean and meters consistently through my RCBS Uniflow.

Much of the 'clean burning' characteristics of powder are how completely it burns...

WST is probably the cleanest burning powder I've ever used, but I don't know how far you can push it in the .40

I've loaded from 1 to 4 pounds each of Nitro 100, Universal, No 2, No 5, Clays, HP38, Solo 1000 and SR4756. All of this powder has gone through both 40SW and 45ACP only, and most of it has been burned no less than 200 rds per session (that is, at least 200 rds between cleanings). In many cases, I've fired 500-1,000 rds with no cleaning at all.

So, with this experience with these powders, I've not noticed any significant difference in residue. I'm not saying there isn't any difference, I'm just saying nothing stood out as super dirty, or exceptionally cleaner. It's just not a consideration for me.

Smoke is another story. There IS a noticeable difference between them, and it's a factor in what I load for low-power action shooting practice ammo. Firing as fast as I can, reloading and repeating can be a real problem during practice. So, I now avoid No 2 and No 5 for that application.

It's also hard to compare smoke and dirt levels on powders alone, I think. All of my umpteen thousands of rounds have been lead, and with at least two different bullet lubes. Folks often blame 'lead bullets' for smoke with their favorite powders, but my experience is that when you find the right lube that problem goes away--it has for me.

Good luck!
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    NRA Patron Member
    US Air Force 1975-1996

My experience with just two handgun powders is that Unique is is filthy and Clays is much cleaner!