Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Except those stuck firing pin Model 59 and 39 Smith and Wesson's, or those slam fire Glocks, or... those Browings that fired when you put the safety into the "off" position, or... you get the idea. I agree with you, but mechanical problems still account for their share of problems. Even Sig had its share of slam fires a while back. Mechanical things can fail, or just be made incorrectly.
Not to belabor the point, but all Glock double fires that I've heard of were attributed to modified trigger components and I've never heard of a Glock "slamfiring".
Speaking as certified Sig Armorer, properly maintained/unmodified Sig pistols will not slam fire. The trigger has to be pulled which means the users finger or other device is engaging the trigger, causing the disconnector to engage the firing pin block safety.

Magazine disconnects will also not prevent a faulty trigger mechanism, neither will they prevent defective pistols.

It is the sole responsibility of the end user to engage in proper gun safety which includes muzzle and trigger discipline. Failure to do both is gross negligence and a mechanical device, to your point should never be counted on a fail-safe or an excuse for stupidity.