Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW9 vs. P9 vs PM9

Default CW9 vs. P9 vs PM9

This has probably already appeared in an earlier thread, but please forgive this newbie. I own a S&W 64 and Ruger SP101, but with my CCW permit about one month away (90 day wait here in SC), I really want/need a small carry handgun that's easy to conceal. Some modest research has led me to the Kahr line of pistols and this forum. The CW9 seems like the way to go (for the money), but can anyone convince me to seriously consider the P9 or PM9? What would the $200+ premium for the P9/PM9 get me over and above the CW9?

CM9, if you can find one... or the PM9 if you want polygonal rifling, and in my opinion, better sights and machining.

The PM9 is quite simply one of the greatest CCW firearms made. A drawback for many people has been the price. Kahr has recently introduced the CM9 at a lower price point. I'd give it a good solid look before making any final decision. Also consider whether or not you would plan to add night sights. If you do, it may be worth the extra money to get the PM9. Otherwise, the CM should work well and allow you more money for the most important CCW accessory... range time and ammo.

A few months ago I was in the same boat as you. As I has previously owned Kahr P9, I bought another with the intent to carry it. Normally the P9 would be perfect, but as summer approached, it was obvious to me that I wanted something smaller. I ended up with a PM9 and couldn't be happier. It conceals in a pocket or under a t-shirt and I don't feel the need to dress around it. Since you mentioned the cost of the P & PM series, and as others have mentioned, the CM might be the perfect option for you. You'll save $200 and have the same size pistol as the PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGlide View Post
    This has probably already appeared in an earlier thread, but please forgive this newbie. I own a S&W 64 and Ruger SP101, but with my CCW permit about one month away (90 day wait here in SC), I really want/need a small carry handgun that's easy to conceal. Some modest research has led me to the Kahr line of pistols and this forum. The CW9 seems like the way to go (for the money),
    A CW9 is great choice for IWB carry and provides a full grip. A CM9 is the same size as a PM9 and better for pocket and IWB carry.It's also priced and built like the CW9.

"but can anyone convince me to seriously consider the P9 or PM9"

Nope.

"What would the $200+ premium for the P9/PM9 get me over and above the CW9?"

Nothing that really matters. Really, they are almost exactly the same gun. Why spend more $ on the gun, when it can be put towards holsters,sights, laser, ammo, etc. you know, needed useful carry gun things.
    http://www.kahr.com/PDF/CM9093r2.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBlast View Post
    Also consider whether or not you would plan to add night sights. If you do, it may be worth the extra money to get the PM9.
    ???
    Night sights are readily available for the CM9 and the CW9 from Kahr (Trijicon), and Dawson Percision (they sell the front and rear separately).
    The Dawsons front sight($49) is an easy install and requires no pusher.
    I am going with front only Dawson NS on my CW9 and CM9.

...can anyone convince me to seriously consider the P9 or PM9? What would the $200+ premium for the P9/PM9 get me over and above the CW9?
    IMHO, the main reason to purchase a "P" Kahr over a "CW" is the fact that only the P comes in a black finish, allows your choice of night sights, and has the polygonal barrel. The other differences are of little or no importance. If none of these three differences is a feature you need or want, then the CW line is the obvious choice. I prefer the P because of the color and sight issue.

The sights are important to me on a carry gun. I do not like Kahrs standard sights. If I were to carry a CW, I would at a minimum change the sights.

The size of the gun is a personal choice. I prefer the larger grip and longer barrel, but depending on how you carry, a smaller gun, a PM or CM, may be best. It's up to you. I don't think the small Kahrs are best suited for pocket carry, (I prefer very small guns in thet regard, ie: Seecamp), but your opinion may differ.
    Last edited by ripley16; 06-15-2011 at 06:52 AM.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

buy the PM9, carried my PM9 in jeans fron pocket for over 4 years. Not a fast draw area but a gun that requires no special dress to carry either. The P series gives u the sight mods tha tyou might want and also the black dlc finish which IMO is very nice. function wise the cw is gonna do everything the P or m guns will do. internally they are the same. I could take or leave the polygonal barrel but it is a perk on the PM andP series guns. what u outta do is try to find a cw and a p series kahr to do some test shooting with. we can only state our preferences which for each of us could be biased..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Welcome to KahrTalk!

Relative new guy to Kahr (PM9) so take my advice with a grain of salt. If pocket carry (maybe even ankle carry) is in your future then I'd recommend the CM & PM over the CW and P.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARDOG View Post
    ???
    Night sights are readily available for the CM9 and the CW9 from Kahr (Trijicon), and Dawson Percision (they sell the front and rear separately).
    The Dawsons front sight($49) is an easy install and requires no pusher.
    I am going with front only Dawson NS on my CW9 and CM9.

Exellent choice, I just installed a front one on the PM9 and I like it a lot, Dawson's sights are great for daylight acquisition and it works great with the existing rear sight, plus at night it's not a distraction with any other dots (rear)