Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen

Thread: A Cleaning Option

Default A Cleaning Option

I know there have been some posts about cleaning preferences and thought I'd throw this option out there.
    I scrub mine down with mineral spirits and a toothbrush, inside and out, and then wash them down with starting fluid (ether).
    Get it for ~$2.50 a can at WW and one can will clean a lot of guns.
    It drys immediately and leaves no residue. Then use Breakfree or whatever to lube with. I've used this combination for years on all kinds of guns and it won't harm finishes or plastic and really cuts the crud.

Just be sure to avoid lighting up when using the ether; chewing or dipping's O.K....
    Just another cleaning option.
    Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Quote Originally Posted by 500KV View Post
    I know there have been some posts about cleaning preferences and thought I'd throw this option out there.
    I scrub mine down with mineral spirits and a toothbrush, inside and out, and then wash them down with starting fluid (ether).
    Get it for ~$2.50 a can at WW and one can will clean a lot of guns.
    It drys immediately and leaves no residue. Then use Breakfree or whatever to lube with. I've used this combination for years on all kinds of guns and it won't harm finishes or plastic and really cuts the crud.

Just be sure to avoid lighting up when using the ether; chewing or dipping's O.K....
    Just another cleaning option.
    souds good, I bet if you try this, u might find it quicker, and cleaner.

Go to NAPA and buy their 3M high pressure non cholorinated brake cleaner. #08880 in a Black can. This stuff is awesome, extremely high pressure and willclean places most cleaners never dreamed of doing. It willnot harm polymer what so ever. but I would advise if ur gonna clean a gun with wooden grips to take them off first or avoid cleaner in that area. Not knowing what tuype of finish is on those grips might cause hamr, as also alot of other gun cleaners will certainly do aslo.

Less than $2.50 a can also. I really think this cleaner is as good as it gets. definitely the gun needs proper lubrication after cleaning with this stuff, as it cleans right down to the bare metal, so grease and oil where necessary...

smoke um if u got um

Hi, Jocko. I went to NAPA yesterday looking for that brake cleaner. I didn't try to read all of the labels completely -- fine print -- but I wound up buying the Gunk brand because it was on sale -- $2.29 -- at least a buck cheaper with the same "characteristics". Man, this is some nasty stuff -- poisonous, flammable, and has four different "fuel" gases. It's not for the kitchen table! I'll be using it, but outdoors.
    I saw some "dry" graphite spray there that was intriguing, but about $8 a can. It sounded like it could be a good dry lubricant from the description. If I weren't so cheap (about some things) I would have bought a can of that to try on gun parts and internally. Thanks for the tips.
    Wynn

Default every NAPA

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Hi, Jocko. I went to NAPA yesterday looking for that brake cleaner. I didn't try to read all of the labels completely -- fine print -- but I wound up buying the Gunk brand because it was on sale -- $2.29 -- at least a buck cheaper with the same "characteristics". Man, this is some nasty stuff -- poisonous, flammable, and has four different "fuel" gases. It's not for the kitchen table! I'll be using it, but outdoors.
    I saw some "dry" graphite spray there that was intriguing, but about $8 a can. It sounded like it could be a good dry lubricant from the description. If I weren't so cheap (about some things) I would have bought a can of that to try on gun parts and internally. Thanks for the tips.
    Wynn
    around here carrys the 3M black can #08880 high pressure non cholorinated brake cleaner. Have no idea about the gun stuff so I have to reserve comment. I think this 3M stuff is flamalbe like your saying about the other brand. Not sure the propellant in any spray can is not flamable. One has to be careful that is for sure. Is ur gunk spray high pressure, if not that to me is the one big selling feature of the 3M over all other sprays Ihav eused. They all clean, that is a given but the 3M just pressure washes alot of areas that normally crap might still try to hide.

that 3m stuff is powerfull I did a wet phone book test and it went through 3 phone books and two one gallon milk jugs with just one shot of spray!!!!!!!!

Hi, Jocko. I didn't get into the nitty gritty with the small print and relatively low light, but they appeared to have all of the same characterisitics in cleaning, etc. I don't know why all of the spray cans have to use stuff that's harmful to the ozone layer, FLAMMABLE, poisonous, or even CO2 which is now a noxious gas, banned by the EPA. It doesn't seem a good idea to filling your flat tires with combustible gases and air under pressure. The only good one -- ReddiWip with nitrous oxide -- is my favorite. Did you see Shooter -- awesome movie! For the hero's at-home surgery, they bought a bunch of cans of ReddiWip! I don't know what they did with the whipped cream... hmmm... Kate Mara and whipped cream.... I've watched that movie several times and any time I run across it I like to watch what's left, especially the ending.
    Wynn

PS: As for the phonebook test, throw in a Bic lighter and you have a weapon of mass immolation! SH!
    Last edited by wyntrout; 12-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Gunscrubber and non-chlorinated brake cleaner is the same stuff. The factory runs a batch of brake cleaner cans and then starts filling the gunscruber cans.