Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Father's Day Desert Eagle 1911G

Default Father's Day Desert Eagle 1911G

I had a Desert Eagle 1911G and a Ruger SR1911 coming this way. The Desert Eagle got here on Friday, so that is what I would up with for my first and only 1911. Field stripped, oiled, safety checked, and went to the range on Friday in the 110F heat, shot 150 rounds through it. Went home, took it apart, smoothed the grip safety area and the trigger with a Dremel, went back and shot it 200 times on Sunday morning. Wow, what a sweet shooting gun! Very repeatable, nice .45. Here are some photos...

Obviously, the firearm needs some cleaning! Can't believe I got to shoot it this much this weekend. IDPA targets, paper plates, and steel silhouettes. This is fun.

Joe
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

Very very nice. Heard good things about them and sounds like yours is a keeper too. You got a Ruger inbound too? Kind of a 1911 hog ain't ya?

I haven't seen the Ruger in person yet but I sure would like too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Very nice! Watch out for that 1911 bug. I went from none at all to three before I caught myself..Waiting for pics on the new Ruger too.

Thanks, gentlemen. I've put 400 rounds through the gun so far. I have eliminated the grip/safety pin flange bite by smoothing out the pieces a little more than shown above, and I have shot the gun enough without much wind at steel silhouettes to see how much more accurately I can shoot this gun than the service and carry guns I have. I am becoming a real 1911 fan now, I'm afraid. This pistol is a fantastic shooter! I can't shoot it very quickly, but it will hit POA every time, nothing much more I could ask for at all. Makes me want to go put a fitted barrel and a trigger job on my P226 9mm.
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

I'm jealous. Nice work.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I am going to turn down the Ruger SR1911. It can't be any better than this one.
    Joe

I now have about 600 rounds through this pistol. The only problem I had I contributed to myself. I had 1 or 2 premature slide locks due to bullets bumping the slide lock lever, so I filed down the original mim part a little. This eliminated the round bump but I took too much off so the ACT magazines would miss the ledge sometimes. McCormick mags still worked fine all the time. I ordered a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof slide lock lever and installed it straight from the wrapper and all problems solved.

I also changed out the sights to Meprolight night sights to match my SIG 3 dot sights. Also added Hogue finger grips like I have on my other pistols, works well with my long fingers.

Now the gun is perfect! No more changes, just more rounds! ...Well maybe some trigger work...

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 06-27-2011 at 03:59 AM.

And here is why I will keep this pistol and probably turn down the Ruger SR1911...last night at the range at 25 yards, no support, standing, two handed grip with a shoulder that is going in for surgery this morning...5 shots in the circles are from the Desert Eagle 1911. The slashed ones are P226 SIG same distance.

I should be able to control that flier at 8 oclock after the shoulder is fixed. I gotta be honest, I couldn't duplicate this grouping again, but I'm working on it.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
    And here is why I will keep this pistol and probably turn down the Ruger SR1911...last night at the range at 25 yards, no support, standing, two handed grip with a shoulder that is going in for surgery this morning...5 shots in the circles are from the Desert Eagle 1911.
    Looks like a winner! Even though the two pistols you are considering are very similar, I'll bet you won't stop with just the one. Many of us find that 1911's are a little like potato chips.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I understand you completely. 1911's are just great guns.