Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Father's Day Desert Eagle 1911G

Update--I had left shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago. I've been shooting this Desert Eagle single handed over that time period. Shooting single handed will bring out every tendency toward flinching or poor trigger movement! But I am happy to say I can hit a 10" plate pretty darn well with all my pistols now at 25 yards. But the DE is still the smallest group. An absolute joy to shoot. Still. I have over a 1000 rounds through this pistol. It's going to take a P226 X-5 Competition at 3x the price to match it accuracy wise.
    Joe
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

25 yards off hand? Man, I can't even see that far anymore, great shooting, even with the flyer. Without a sandbag I doubt if I could get them all in the scoring area, if I even hit the paper.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Good deal Joe. I'm a firm believer in don't mess with success and it surely looks like you've found it.

A 226 would just be a box filler. Ok, go ahead and get one but I suspect you won't be putting that DE down anytime soon.

Hope the shoulders healing good for ya.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, an update. I now have a new SIG X-5 AllRound in 9mm and it is an excellent shooter. But the DE 1911G is still easier to shoot good groups at distance with! The Desert Eagle is a great gun. I asked my range officer buddy to swap with me long enough to shoot his Wilson Combat while he shot my DE. He couldn't believe the gun was that nice, and shot that well. He assumed I had already done a trigger job on the DE. Nope.
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

I'm glad you posted Joe. I have a Colt Commander 1911 and of course have a couple idiot marks from reinstalling the slide lock. I found instructions for a simple mod which I did and the problem is gone. My question is do the DE's have an issue with that?
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Old Lincoln--I was warned about the idiot marks before I got my 1911 so I have been very careful to avoid creating one. The DE is just like your Colt in that area. Sorry for the late response.
    Joe

I'm glad you posted too Joe. I have a 1911G on order and your positive comments are making the excruciating wait much less painful.
    JohnH has one also and speaks highly of it also.

Old Lincoln, once your aware of the idiot mark issue it's not difficult to avoid with a little caution. There are several little gimicky deals to help. A small piece of plastic film or cut part of the frame off an old slide and the film part provides just enough protection for the frame while allowing you to insert the stop.

I've seen where they actually machined a little notch in the stop to line up without the rotation and that's pretty neat too but the film is cheaper and easier and caution is even easier yet.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bawanna--can't wait to hear what you think of yours when you get it. I've received some Wilson Combat parts to use in this gun but haven't put them in yet. I did an IDPA classifier a couple of weeks ago with the Desert Eagle and made Marksman in CDP so I may actually shoot it in some club matches. I just received but have not yet installed a mag well, sear, hammer, sear spring, and some Wolff hammer and recoil springs to experiment with.

If I were to leave the gun alone, it would be fine. The trigger is just a little too touchy for me after shooting the SIG P226's all the time. But I'll keep all the stock parts bagged up and ready to put back in the gun once I am through playing with it. If I ever get through playing with it, that is.

This is fun.

Joe

Rumor has it, it should arrive any time now. I'm anxious and impatient. I tried to just put it out of my mind and forget it but how do you do that with a 1911. I don't think it's possible.

I'm sure my keyboard will be burning up once I get to hold it. Soon, I hope.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Old Lincoln--One of my friends has a Colt Commander 80 series pistol. It shot OK but the trigger was heavy with a lot of creep, so I couldn't shoot it very well at first. I put an EGW sear, hammer, disconnector, and sear spring in it after final fitting of the sear surfaces and got the trigger very close to the Desert Eagle. The gun is much easier to shoot accurately now with a lighter trigger with less travel.

The new parts have made his gun more of a range gun than a self defense gun, however, and I have removed some of safety factor that the factory includes with a service gun. The owner loves it.

Joe