Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: different sized grips on the TP... what gives?

Default different sized grips on the TP... what gives?

I've seen the TP in two different sized grip... a "P" grip that accepts a 7 round mag and the "T" sized grip that accepts the 8 round mag. Is this a recent change? How would one know the difference in model number? The Kahr web site specs list the grip height at 4.5", the same as the P9. I'm so confused...

Seven shot TP9;

Eight shot recently purchased TP9;

Default TP series

This news to me. I try to keep on the Kahr pistols and have never seen the TP with the shortened grip frame. (Except one that was done by a local gunsmith)

Now that I look at the picture, it looks like a TP9 slide on a P frame...note the dust cover length is shorter on the top pic as compared to the bottom pics full length dustcover.

That doesn't explain why the grip is measured at 4.5" on the Kahr web site. That is just a mistake IMO. It should be corrected.

I contacted Kahr on this.

The newer TP9's are still 4 inch barrel, but 8+1 (longer grip area).

Like a polymer T9.

Kahr has, apparently within the last couple of weeks, partially fixed this issue on its website.

The main photo for a TP9 now shows the longer grip frame/longer dust cover/8+1 version of the TP9 whereas before it showed the version that looked like, as somebody else remarked, a TP9 slide on a P9 frame.

When one clicks on link on that same page to the 360 degree view of the TP9, what shows is still the version with the P9 frame.

When one clicks on the "Detailed Images" link it shows several pics, IIRC all with the longer grip/longer dustcover version.

Crap, 8 plus one TP-9? I thought I was done with my Kahr purchases....

They seem to make a lot of changes without making a big deal about it. I'm seeing a mix of beveled and regular PM's out there with no seeming rhyme nor reason to when they were changed.

Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Crap, 8 plus one TP-9? I thought I was done with my Kahr purchases....
    Understand that the T size grip pokes out just far enough to be much more challenging to conceal. If you want to have a longer grip for a nice shooting range gun, a Kahr or any double action is not what I would buy. Nothing shoots paper like a 1911, which is available in 9 and 40 as well as 45.

Quote Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
    Understand that the T size grip pokes out just far enough to be much more challenging to conceal. If you want to have a longer grip for a nice shooting range gun, a Kahr or any double action is not what I would buy. Nothing shoots paper like a 1911, which is available in 9 and 40 as well as 45.
    It's not hard to conceal my T-9, with it's fatter grip, so I think I understand. I didn't get the original TP-9 because it had the same capacity as my P-9. I want the grip, because i find it easier to draw from concealment with a consitant grip from IWB or OWB then my P-9 or heaven forbid my PM-9. I shoot paper with what I carry for other purposes. With it's lighter wieght and slimmer grips the "new" TP-9 has me interested.

of course this most likely sounds like a harsh response from a new guy

TP-45, before the custom work

Custom T-9

Custom PM-9

Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    It's not hard to conceal my T-9, with it's fatter grip, so I think I understand. I didn't get the original TP-9 because it had the same capacity as my P-9. I want the grip, because i find it easier to draw from concealment with a consitant grip from IWB or OWB then my P-9 or heaven forbid my PM-9. I shoot paper with what I carry for other purposes. With it's lighter wieght and slimmer grips the "new" TP-9 has me interested.

of course this most likely sounds like a harsh response from a new guy
    Hey, we live for harsh around here. Livens things up a might. Bring it!:31:

Sincerely with love and affection
    bawanna
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."