CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 or not?

Default 1911 or not?

I have been looking at 1911, mostly Springfield's and the new Ruger SR1911, I have shot a 1911 a couple of times. The triggers are nice compared to DA or Striker fired.

Here is my question, I have a PM9 and really do shoot it well as compared to my other guns, so the DA trigger is familiar to me, will I notice the 1911 to be that much better for accuracy say compared to a Kahr TP45 or P45?

Without doubt you'll notice, but it's not a fair comparison. For accuracy the 1911 has everything going for it, short crisp pull, larger gun even in the smallest compact.
    So it's not a fair comparison.

If you plan to carry the 1911 versus owning it strictly as a range gun (which is perfectly fine and dandy) then you need to train yourself that operating system and learn to transition from your Kahr to the 1911.
    It works fine for me, I have a 1911 on my hip and a PM45 on my ankle but for some it's not an easy thing.

I've often felt that a person should stick 1911 100% or not at all but I've found with adhering to proper safety mostly keeping ones finger off the trigger it's not a difficult thing to do. One of course never knows until they go thru the operation with a couple gallons of adrenaline flowing thru your veins, that is the ultimate test as to weather you got it right or not.

You should get one anyhow, everyone should have at least one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

What Bawanna said......

you will notice, the comparison is not completely fair, you will like shooting the 1911.

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

You will like it, guaranteed. My 1911's range from 22 ozs for the STI to 30 ozs for the light weight FS Springfield. They're still considerably heavier and a lot larger than the PM, so they are easy to shoot well. Plus, there's that trigger. JMB really got the ergo's right with this pistol.

YEAH! What Bawanna said! I mostly use my 1911 for home defense and target practice, but no way would I consider trading it off. Mines a plain jane Springfield, in stainless steel. Very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Need to get those little nub they call sights replaced with something decent. I don't like it for Concealed Carry anymore, I prefer the more forgiving trigger of the Kahr.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Default personally

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have been looking at 1911, mostly Springfield's and the new Ruger SR1911, I have shot a 1911 a couple of times. The triggers are nice compared to DA or Striker fired.

Here is my question, I have a PM9 and really do shoot it well as compared to my other guns, so the DA trigger is familiar to me, will I notice the 1911 to be that much better for accuracy say compared to a Kahr TP45 or P45?
    i THINK YOU WILL SHOOT A 1911 BETTER THAN ANY KAHR due tothe trigger systems..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Without doubt you'll notice, but it's not a fair comparison. For accuracy the 1911 has everything going for it, short crisp pull, larger gun even in the smallest compact.
    So it's not a fair comparison.

If you plan to carry the 1911 versus owning it strictly as a range gun (which is perfectly fine and dandy) then you need to train yourself that operating system and learn to transition from your Kahr to the 1911.
    It works fine for me, I have a 1911 on my hip and a PM45 on my ankle but for some it's not an easy thing.

I've often felt that a person should stick 1911 100% or not at all but I've found with adhering to proper safety mostly keeping ones finger off the trigger it's not a difficult thing to do. One of course never knows until they go thru the operation with a couple gallons of adrenaline flowing thru your veins, that is the ultimate test as to weather you got it right or not.

You should get one anyhow, everyone should have at least one.
    what he said. Man u carry one on your hip. how long have you done that? Lot a gun to carry as you know.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    i THINK YOU WILL SHOOT A 1911 BETTER THAN ANY KAHR due tothe trigger systems..
    agreed. shot my new p40 for 3 days then went to the 1911. Best I ever shot it. I think the P40 made the 1911 trigger feel effortless. Loooove my Kimber TLE II

How do I multiple quote in a reply?

Well! I have difficulty swapping between 1911 and Kahr. The trigger/ thus the muscle memory is soooooo different that this old dog has to shoot each one every time I go to the range or the one I didn't shoot suffers, greatly.
    Problem, I like um both!
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

When the Government is wrong, it's dangerous to be right!

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter ... don't mind .
    .. and those that mind ... don't matter!

I don't own a 1911 but I have shot a number of them. I've done my best "range" handgun shooting with 1911s. One full size Kimber in particular but I forget which model. In a SD situation where I'm likely to benefit from a quick draw and point shooting I feel I give up nothing to the 1911 vs. my PM9 or Glock 26. My opinion of course might change if I owned and spent more time with the 1911.