Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 Questions

Default Lee Pro 1000 Questions

Since my birthday is next month, I'm thinking about buying myself a press and have been looking at a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Kit http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=351321 Does anyone have one of these and would you recommend it? I like that I could use it as a single stage while I am learning and then go full blast later on. On here http://www.factorysales.com/html/xca...og/lp1000.html they say that one needs good mechanical aptitude to start with a progressive press? Are they talking about putting it together and getting it set up?
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

M:
    The pro 1000 is about the best bang for the buck but somewhat limited.
    The priming and powder drop system can be troublesome if you are not mechanical.
    Some give up and hand prime but that's not always a bad thing.
    Here's a link to a prior thread about the pro 1000:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...light=pro+1000

Tilos

Buy a Dillon. It will be more money but there equipment is the best. There service in the best in the reloading world, they stand behind everything they sell 100%. You get what you pay for, so why not pay for it only once.
    All my friends that shoot have a Dillon in one from or another. Personally I never liked Lee dies. I think they are cheaply made. I will say I do have 2 of there auto primers I've had for years and they do work great for my other reloading needs. But progressive reloading? Dillon is 1 #.
    My 2c......

I'm not one to get a progressive any time soon, but if I ever do, it could be a Lee in the 5 hole Load Master flavor. I'm not wary in any way about Lee products. I don't have the experience of others here but have RCBS dies and Lee dies. The Lee feel different but they work just as well.

The big difference for me is I want a Powder Check Lockout die that prevents over or under filling. I also like the Lee Factory Crimper die, so 5 holes. I was initially pleased at the reasonable price of the press, but then started my list of accessories and the $250 became $1000 for a fully loaded system. If you don't have the powder and primer dispensers why do it? Then you want the tray's and other gizmos to make it handy. And finally, you'll get the casing and bullet feeders.

The positive side is you already know what you want for birthdays and Christmas until for the next several years.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

I use a Lee Pro 1000. When people say you need some mechanical aptitude, they're talking about running it, since it does have hickups now and then. Ditch the bead chain for the powder drop and rig up a rubber band instead and it runs fine. You MUST have a scale and weigh out the charge, since the chart that comes with the measurer is nowhere near correct. For the priming system, lube it with a touch of graphite and make sure the feed ramp is ALWAYS full. With just those two things, many of the issues go away. I still get an occasional problem with the primer feeder causing me to stop and clean out a ruined primer, but no big deal. Taking it easy, I can run well over 300 rounds/hour, even dealing with the occasional issue.

Yes, a Dillion would be nice, but for the price differential, I would rather buy another gun. If I was running 5K+ rounds a month or something, it might be a different story.

Can't really help you with the Pro 1000 outside of if you get anything, pay attention!

Case in point - Finally set up my turret to de-prime, size and prime this morning along with the remainder of the steps as I had been doing this step on the single stage and then just using the turret for the flare, drop powder, set bullet and taper crimp. Took me a bit of time to get the rhythm down and very nearly loaded a few bullets without powder. Did mis-prime one and loaded powder and bullet before I realized what I had done. That extra step from my normal loading practice was enough to put me back into the real close attention again.

BTW-loaded 200 rounds of 45 cal in 1 1/2 hours (that's because I had to slow down). Normally load 200 rounds in 1 hour 10 min or so.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

I don't know that I'd call myself mechanically inclined, so let's move on to another option - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=121744. I've spent the afternoon watching videos of people using this press and it looks pretty simple. The bushings should make changing out the dies pretty easy without having to adjust them every time. Anyone have this one?
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

OK, this is the third time I've tried to answer your question. Getting frustrated but hope that this time it works.

Yea

Don't have that particular kit as I originally bought the Cast Breech Lock. The kit you are looking at will work but it is made of aluminum and a bit lighter than the cast one. If you are looking at producing about 50 rounds per hour then it will work. However, you will have to buy the bushings for each of the dies that you have, loading blocks (at least two), calipers and possibly a few other goodies like a tumbler or vibrator (if you like shiny brass).

If I knew then what I know now, I'd put together my own kit and it would be (and what I use now):

Lee Cast Turret
    Lee Pro auto disk
    Lee riser for the pro auto disk
    Lee Safety Prime (set comes with arms for both large and small primers)
    505 scale
    Powder funnel
    Lee carbide dies in the caliber that you want
    Turrets for each caliber
    Vibrator brass cleaner
    Dial caliper

Of course you will also need
    Loading manuals
    Internet access for obtaining load data from the powder manufactures (which I know you have!)
    Primers, bullets and powder(s) - Try to buy locally at first so you don't have to pay hazmat fee.

Just my 2 cents.

See that Bawanna posted just after I did. Spend a bit more at the start. If you decide to go with the breech lock, send me a PM and I'll send you all but one of the spare beeches that I have now! Heck, might even give you a good deal on a used cast one. Let me think about it some more!
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Hornady makes those bushings for most any single stage press now. It does simplify things but it's also time consuming.

I didn't know anything about turrent press's when I got my progressive or I would have looked at those. I'm very happy with my Hornady LNL, it'll last forever, and it pumps out rounds really fast.

A turrent press would give you the best of both worlds, use it like a single stage, hand prime, which I prefer anyhow and when you want to go fast you can go that route too.

I'm sure this is all gonna get very confusing but it's worth doing your homework and it may pay huge dividends to pay a little more now for something a little better and upgrade components rather than go cheap now and regret it later.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by MW surveyor View Post
    OK, this is the third time I've tried to answer your question. Getting frustrated but hope that this time it works.

Huh! Am I missing something?