Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: cant get slide to come off...

Continuing on from my earlier post...
    The trigger bar could also be checked by removing the side plate and this will probably be necessary anyway.
    In theory, this can be done without removing the slide, but I've not tried that myself.
    The reason I haven't tried it that way is I fear damaging the side plate. The side plate is held in place by a screw (or pin) in it's upper left corner.

Opposite this pin/screw, the side plate has a tab that slides under the frame:

Please note, the above photo is of a P380, their side plates do not have the next feature I'm about to discuss.

In the lower left portion of the side plate, there is also a ball/stud and socket connection that holds the plate on the frame.

This connection is why I haven't tried to remove the plate with the slide on the gun. I prefer to slide a tool in from the the top of the plate to pop the ball/stud from it's socket and find this best done with the slide removed.
    So to summarize:
    Pull the pin/screw
    Pop the ball/stud from it's socket.
    Slightly lift the left side of the plate and slide the plate off to the left.

With the plate removed, check that the trigger bar will move upward under force from the trigger bar spring until it engages the cocking cam as shown:

Note that the photo also shows a correctly positioned trigger bar spring.

If all looks good to this point, check if the slide or side plate might be preventing the trigger bar from resetting.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg, as many posts have pointed out - you're the man! Heartfelt thanks from the newbie from Wisconsin.

Your first suggestion of going in through the mag well worked. The thoroughness of the pictures gave me enough courage to attempt it. The paper clip trick was not working for me. I am thankful that I did not have to go in through the side panel. It would have taken a great deal of bourbon to get up the courage and by then I would have lost all my limited dexterity.

All the pictures are incredibly helpful in understanding the mechanics of the operation.

I want to reiterate that the pm9 has been operationally flawless. I am elated with the purchase! Operator error is a different story!

I assume that I pulled the trigger while putting the slide back on, thereby changing the cam position. I will be hyper vigil in the future. Is there anything else that I could have done wrong, that may benefit other readers, as well as me?

Hey, glad it worked out for ya

I'm not sure I'd say that you did anything wrong

I would check a couple of things.

First check the disconnector for any damage/burrs/excessive wear, particularly along the outside edge.

Then push the disconnector down and release it several times, check that it returns to full height each time without hesitation. Do this with trigger released and with it held back.

Also check this area of the slide for any damage/burrs/etc. that might impede the disconnector:

Finding nothing untoward, I'd put a little lube on the disconnector and give it a good work out at the range.

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Just did the same to my CW380. Slide release is stopped from going forward by barrel ramp and from going backward by the cocking cam.

Insert small flat screwdriver in to magazine well and push up on cocking cam, the slide will come off backwards.

Default My P380 slide got stuck too

Where did all the pictures go? This thread is helpful, but it would be a lot MORE helpful if most of its pictures hadn't disappeared.

My P380 slide got stuck like this too. Unlike the original poster K.C. back in 2011, I did NOT have the slide stop pin in mine at all. But as I reassembled my P380, the slide got stuck in exactly the position shown in his original photo. Trigger moving freely, striker clearly not cocked, slide stuck on something internally. I cannot fit a paperclip in under the back of the slide.

What worked for me, is to reach in through the magwell with a tool, and pull back on the striker to cock it. Then pull the trigger to release the striker, and pull the slide forward off the frame the normal way.

But when I try to reassemble this particular P380, OFTEN either the slide gets stuck again, or sometimes it's not stuck, but it will not go back on all the way! Note that when the slide stops moving, it is just BEFORE the slide stop barrel hole becomes visible in the slide stop window. So the slide stop cannot be inserted at all, because the barrel isn't far enough back on the frame for that. Interestingly, when the slide will not go back on all the way, reaching in through the magwell to cock the striker also fixes that problem, letting me reassemble the pistol. I can't figure out WHY this is sometimes necessary though!

Weirdly, I have a second P380 which never has this problem! So it's NOT just operator error. Visibly, the internals of the two guns appear identical. When I swapped frames and slides, the problem seemed to follow the bad pistol's frame, not the slide.

With the bad pistol, what SEEMED to help (but might have been my imagination) was not to baby the slide as I put it back on the frame, but to give it a good firm jerk all the way back, depressing the cocking cam (part 15) and trigger bar (part 13) all in one go, and fully racking the slide. Then let it return forward to the usual disassembly position, and insert the slide stop pin. Now that I've done that a bunch of times, the reassembly problem is happening LESS, but it still sometimes happens. I was going to take a picture of the bad P380 in its stuck position, but now that I have my camera ready I can't seem to recreate the problem...

Anybody have insight into what is/was going on with this problem P380?

Ok, the slide got stuck again, here's a photo:
    https://imgur.com/a/XrogG7R

Make sure the guide rod is centered properly. Also, I've had a CW380 and a P380 on which the guide rod/spring created a flange on the polymer. You might have this flange yourself and are "hung up" because you can't get the guide rod base pass it. So....first off.. just look at the frame where the guide rod sits and compare it to your good 380. See if you problem gun's frame is "chewed" up in that area. If so, just cut it out with a knife. My recently purchased P380 did not have this happen.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I have a couple of Kahr pistols, one is K9 Elite 03 and a brand new CM9 that I got today. Had a CW380 but my son talked me out of it. My Cm9 is a bear to reassemble. In fact, I could not get the slide back on without the magazine being inserted. I plan on shooting the gun 200-300 rounds before I take it apart again. Hopefully it will break in nicely. I plan on using it for CC use. As a pastor, I often need to carry with discretion. The CM9 will be my pocket pistol.

I bought the model with the front night sight. It is quite bright. Kahr pistols are great guns IMO. Triggers are all the same, nice smooth, long pull and break.

Not sure about my Kahr's, don't think I have had the problem. Have with other guns, and just pull the trigger and give it a good smack from the rear.

Here is a video on the Kahr, maybe it helps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpP...mpietriChannel

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ked-shut/page2

I'm not sure I would shoot that gun yet. Did you by chance put the slide release pin in outside of the barrel lug?