Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: New CM9 magazine hard to eject.

Default New CM9 magazine hard to eject.

I've got a question that I haven't had much luck searching or googling. I picked up a new CM9 today and went through the prep as detailed in the sticky. Everything about the gun looks good and I'm anticipating a very good first range session.

The question I have is not that the magazine doesn't 'drop free,' it's that it doesn't want to eject at all. If I try to push the mag release and pull out the magazine it will not budge. To eject the magazine (loaded or not) I have to repeatedly depress the mag release while repeatedly pushing up on the magazine, and then try several times to pull it out.

I've checked the mag well and don't see any obstructions, nor are there any burrs or obvious defects on the magazine itself. So...is this normal and something that will loosen up with the break-in? Otherwise, does anybody have any ideas I can try to get a better magazine release?

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1612

Read this thread. About the second issue down address the mag release catch. Theres some good pictures and talks you thru how to look and see how the mag catch is interacting with the mag.

A call or email to Kahr would probably get you a new mag catch headed your way. You might be able to remove a little on yours to make it work and then have a spare or the new one might just cure it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Push up on the magazine first, before hitting the mag release. If your timing is off, it'll bungle it up. Despite this, it is indeed still difficult to eject every once in a while. It'll get easier as the gun breaks in.

If you want, you can unload your chamber, then insert and eject a loaded magazine (so you have the proper weight in there) a bunch of times at home to help accelerate the process. Keep the slide forward.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm still inserting and ejecting the magazine. Hopefully this, along with the rest of the break-in, will loosen things up. I don't mind that it doesn't drop free, although that would be nice, I just hope the mag release eventually does what it's supposed to do. Otherwise, I think I'll try to smooth out the mag well and possible file some off of the mag release.

I will say though, with this being my first Kahr, the fit and finish on the CM9 is more than I expected for what I paid.

05flht,
    Welcome to the forums
    Try taking the guts out of your magazine, then insert just the tube into your gun. Lock the slide back and you should be able to see how the far the latch is engaging the tube. Work the latch some while observing if it clears the tube walls when fully depressed. If it doesn't or the clearance is marginal
    give this thread started by Joe L a look: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7325
    His aim was to ensure drop free magazine, but I think a similar squeeze near the latch window of the magazine tube might prove beneficial in your case.
    Regards,
    Greg