CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipped slide rail

Default Chipped slide rail

As a first-time poster, I wanted to rave about my new PM9, just bought yesterday. I did the break-in according to the sticky and completed the break-in by firing 200 rounds flawlessly today - except for the seven-round magazine's one failure to feed with a nose-dived round.

I took the gun apart to clean it and found this. Uh-oh.

Anyone else ever encounter a chipped slide rail? It wasn't like that when I took it apart the first time.

I guess I'll call Kahr on Tuesday.

Thanks for the great forum.
    Bill

Bill,
    Not to worry, that's not a chip and is there by design.

From Kahr's website:
    "Q. There is a chip in the metal guide rail of my polymer pistol. Is this normal?

A.
    This is a witness mark for the polymer frame manufacturer and is present by design."

http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp#q24

Welcome to the forums

Regards,
    Greg

But don't fret Bill, your post is a requirement of all new Kahr owners. We really don't mind and it brings us back to our early days in Kandy Kahr Land!
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Welcome aboard. Feel free to sit anywhere. Put yer feet up, grab some of the (most excellent) Kahr Kookies and munch out. The Toll House are best....

Whew! I was worried there.

I looked at the lube diagram to see if the chip was there, but I didn't see it on the rails in that photo. I guess I'm broken in right, too!

I think I can sleep better tonight.

By the way, after break-in with FMJ, it fed and shot well 124 gr. Gold Dots standard velocity, Mag Tech 124 gr. +P, and 124 gr. +P Golden Sabres. The Golden Sabres are my carry round for now.

I expected recoil to be much harsher, but it wasn't too bad.

My previous carry was a S&W 642, and after just 20 rounds of 148 gr. standard pressure, I'm ready to quit. I had a trigger job on the 642, and the Kahr trigger, although longer, is much smoother.

So far, I'm pretty happy.

Thanks for helping me out and setting me straight so quickly!!
    Bill

if it will make u feel better take a file and put a notch in the other rail and then all will be OK.

actually what these kahr posters told u is true, pay no attention to the file thing, . Actually to me it makes zero sense to have that notch there. It is a witness mark as kahr states but "witness to what???"
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

if it will make u feel better take a file and put a notch in the other rail and then all will be OK.

actually what these kahr posters told u is true, pay no attention to the file thing, . Actually to me it makes zero sense to have that notch there. It is a witness mark as kahr states but "witness to what???"

That 7 round magazine is for some reason a head ache in the pM9, some work good, some don't u might wantto visit the kahr tech section ahd hit on two sti\cky's.

#1 kahr lube chart

# propper prepping of your new kahr, there is a discussion towards the bottom of that thread for something to look for in the magazines. It might just be what is happening to your 7 rounder, although i doubt it but very easy to test out.

Nice gun the PM9, for me the only gun..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks Jocko. I think I may trade it on a six-rounder. I don't completely trust that magazine.

I also used your brake cleaner suggestion. Worked great! It saved me from a half-hour of using a toothbrush, q-tips and CLP!
    Bill

some have no issues with the7 round mag, buthereis my 2cents. u bought a ultra compact 9mm, so why doe sone need to now have an extended magazine sticking out the bottom of that gun, If u need 7 rounds buy the cw9 and be done with it. My 7 rounder for the few times I have used it worked fine but I truly hate that magazine, it is the most butt ugly magazine I hav eever seen. and the 7 round magazine will giv eyou a different grip feel and hold than the flush fit 6 round maga. So IMO train/practice theway ur gonna ultimately carry itl. This ain't a target gun, per say.

I would trade my 7 rounder to any person wanting to trade their 6 rounder any day and I might even slip in a $5 dollar bill to just say THANK YOU for takeing this butt ugly magazine out of my life. I buried it in the back yard once and the damn thing reappeared the next day, ..

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I agree. It did feel odd going from the 6-round to the 7-round. Had to change the grip. I'd rather have two of the same - as you point out - to train consistently.