Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Modified My CM9 Follower

Default Modified My CM9 Follower

Howdy,

Modified the magazine follower today, thanks to the help from Jocko and
    gb6491, pointing me to the right sticky!

First I took the magazine apart, and inserted the empty mag case into the CM9. With the CM9's slide off, I ran the mag spring with the follower into the magazine as I looked through the top, sure enough the very top of the radius of the follower, and the liped edge of the follower skirting would make contact with the magazine latch hole. I visually noticed how much of the top of the follower was making contact. I used a very fine sharpie pen, than marked that area. than viewing the follower skirting, with the magazine removed from the CM9. I inserted again the spring and follower to where I could see the skirting through the latch hole of the magazine I marked the skirting from top to bottom with the sharpie and using the square end of the magazine latch hole as a straight edge.

I than removed these two areas very carfully with the bench grinder. than shaped and smoothed those areas with some medium grit sandpaper, than I finished smoothing out these areas with some fine emery paper. I inserted the empty magazine in the CM9, and than inserted the follower and spring, went right to the top of the magazine without catching or snagging on anything.

I am very confident now that the CM9 magazine follower will be trouble free, and looking forward to sending a bunch of rounds down range

I will do this to any additional 6rd. magazines I might order from Kahr.
    Just to be on the safe side. The Cm9 will be my primary conceal carry weapon. Right now it is my Ruger LCP .380, but only until I can send 200-300 rds from the CM9 down range

Thanks Jocko for your sticky on prepping these Kahr's and to gb6491 for pointing me to the right thread for this fix.

Carl

Kahr CM9 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380 cal
    Ruger P94-DC .40 cal S&W
    Thompson Center Arms .50 cal Magnum Encore Pro Hunter Inline Muzzel Loader.

zhillis, always pretest ur new magazines, who knows the next ones for some reason might just be OK, u did real well, You should have a good feeling knowing now you hav e done all u can tomake this cm9 a real shooter, now it just has to prive itself to you. practice close, good grip control, POA shootingis IMO the way to shoot that little gun for 7 yards and under. It is what it is a closxe up personal gun that will save ur life. If uwannt later play at 25 yards, then play but take the serious 10 yards and under stuff with your drills...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    zhillis, always pretest ur new magazines, who knows the next ones for some reason might just be OK, u did real well, You should have a good feeling knowing now you hav e done all u can tomake this cm9 a real shooter, now it just has to prive itself to you. practice close, good grip control, POA shootingis IMO the way to shoot that little gun for 7 yards and under. It is what it is a closxe up personal gun that will save ur life. If uwannt later play at 25 yards, then play but take the serious 10 yards and under stuff with your drills...
    Thanks Jocko, yea I been shooting those yardages allot lately with my LCP.
    I just point and shoot, without trying to aim the gun. And have surprised myself with the accuracy and respectable groupings at 3-4 and 7-8 yard ranges. I am sure the transition to the CM9 will be easy. And with the very smooth trigger pull of the CM9, accuracy should only get better.
    Thanks for all your help!

Kahr CM9 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380 cal
    Ruger P94-DC .40 cal S&W
    Thompson Center Arms .50 cal Magnum Encore Pro Hunter Inline Muzzel Loader.

I think that all the followers hit the magazine release to some degree, with the spring pressure overcoming the contact in most cases. With that said, it is nice insurance to modify them prior to shooting. Nothing sucks more than to get to the range and have non functioning magazines!

Default ur

Quote Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
    I think that all the followers hit the magazine release to some degree, with the spring pressure overcoming the contact in most cases. With that said, it is nice insurance to modify them prior to shooting. Nothing sucks more than to get to the range and have non functioning magazines!
    partially right, some followers will ride past the mag release button if some contact is made BUT there should be no contact if everything is right. as a magazine spring weakens, it is far easier then for that follower to jam up. It only takes a split second for the complete timing of the gun to be off and ftf's to occur. The slightest hesitation of that follower to not produce that next round up where it belongs is what has been causing SOME to have issues with the 2 and 3rd round. If one is not having any feed issues with round 2 and 3, then u can assume the follower is going past that magaazinecut out hole with no restriction..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Jocko,

Do you think that the problem is with the magazine release latch on some guns being too big or that certain followers were made too big?

I have 7 different magazines for my PM9 and every one needed the followers sanded down. Im thinking if it were magazine related I would have gotten one that works by now.

50-50, probably the mag release catch but when one starts to modify the catch, he can easily go to far with the mod and then you have magazines dropping out when not wanted. I think u kinda proved that to yourself with all 7 magazines catching on the release. One could get a new mag release and test it out, as most kahrs have no issues, . Doing the followers like u did is very easy and if u screw up u just put in a new follower.

It sure would not take much in a design change for kahr to do what we have to do to our followers to even eliminate that possability of happening. The thing about the magazine catch mod is when you haveit out of the gun, "just where do u start to filer" on it. It's kinda guess work IMO.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

zhills:
    jocko wants you to post some pics...
    Tilos