Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My PM9 vs. my new Ruger LC9

My LC9 is definitely more "Keltec like" than it is "Kahr like". The trigger, hammer etc... all look, act and feel like a PF9. Honestly, if you ever held a PF9 and thought, "what would this gun be like if the slide wasn't made of pitted metal and the parts actually fit together like they were designed that way or something" then you know what an LC9 is.
    ..... I carry a small gun to compensate for my huge pecker.

ur dead right frank. i PROBABLY WOULD PUT THE LC9 ONE GRADE ABOVE THE KEL TEC. and about 8 grades below the kahr PM9 or cm9 even.
    Last edited by jocko; 07-08-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

The trigger feel and firing of the LC9 is far and above the PF9....The PF9 is and feels like a cheaply made gun, its trigger is god awful. The poor design and too light weight, make for ridiculously snappy recoil from a 9mm. All that can be said for a PF9 is its inexpensive and easy to carry.
    Ruger took those two good points and actually designed a good carry gun around them...Making the LC9 better in all aspects. It is the same size, but "melted" for even cleaner carry. Its DA trigger is long but much higher quality and is actually usable. Needed weight/balance were added making the LC9 much more manageable. Outside of a few scattered reports, the LC9 is proving to be highly reliable.....Like Rainman, reliability is of top importance for my carry gun.
    -The Destroyer Approaches
    eyes to the south

After dealing with the stupid PPS all day I put 100 rounds down the pipe of my LC9 w/o a hitch. That brings me up to around 700 rounds through mine w/o a hiccup.

Rainman48314 Guest

Default contrarian opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    ur dead right frank. i PROBABLY WOULD PUT THE LC9 ONE GRADE ABOVE THE KEL TEC. and about 8 grades below the kahr PM9 or cm9 even.
    I took my CPL class with a guy who had about five years more experience shooting than me. His hand hurt from the Kel-tec and he said he had to fluff and buff it to get it reliable. I fired a couple of rounds in the 9mm and have read too many service stories about Kel-Tec to rate it very high.

My LC9 experience is different than yours (actually, isn't yours LCP experience?)...anyway. I rate the Ruger LC9 no less than the Kahr.

Consider these:

1. 100% reliable with FMJ from round 1 thru round 150. No prep or cleaning on the first 50 rounds. No FTE or FTF ever. Locked open on empty EVERY time.

2. Better ergos, granted, hand size is always a factor

3. Mag drops freely and looks like it was actually designed for the gun.

4. Recoil springs at $2.00 vs. PM9 assembly at $24.95

5. Better looking melt job.

6. $300 price advantage but short a $30 mag

7. The average person can rack the slide from day one. Its good to go out of the box.

8. No begging for shipping costs if warranty work is ever needed.

9. Probably more availble despite it being a recent release.

10. 7+1 configuration

11. Less felt recoil

Sorry, no disrespect to fellow owners. Remember, I own one too. However, the argument is whether the LC9 is better or equal. I am leaning to better. Kel-Tec is not in the same class.
    Last edited by Rainman48314; 07-08-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: two more comments

yup only owned the lcp not the lc9 so my opinion are just opinion, not based of what u as an owner can relate, so take what I say as a grain of salt. MY lcp was a good gun, had to go back once but it is now a good gun, , terrible trigger, terrible accuracy in my hands but dependable for sure. Knowing Ruger I would expect no less from the lc9 as u so nicely related.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Rainman48314 Guest

Default great comparison pics (not mine)

Quote Originally Posted by PaiN View Post
    Thanks for the report, I've been considering an LC9 vs CM9 for my next CCW....

Rainman.....Any chance you can get some side by side pics up.....please
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...uger-LC9-(pics)

If you get one, the trigger gets better after you remove the magazine disconnect.

Rainman48314 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by frank_drebin View Post
    If you get one, the trigger gets better after you remove the magazine disconnect.
    I saw a YouTube vid on it. Seems tricky/complex.

Can you describe the change? Mine is VERY smooth. My 'complaint' is the length and reset length.

Rainman48314 Guest

Default Weighty trivia

I pulled out a nice Golfworks scale I have and weighed some stuff I had lying around:

Alabama Offside kydex holster for a PM9 : 70.5 grams

Sig Sauer P238, including mag and loaded 7+1 : 507 grams / 17.88 oz.

Kahr PM9 with NS, loaded 6+1 : 568 grams / 20.04 oz.

Ruger LC9 loaded 7+1 : 583 grams / 20.56 oz.

Adding another round to the PM9 makes for a virtual dead heat with the LC9. The PM9 has a Quick Grip on it. It's a thin rubber sleave and adds a little weight.
    Last edited by Rainman48314; 07-08-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: more info